The mkiv Supra Owners Club

White Weapon - 2JZ Forged VVTi NA-T Build

AC93

2 hours ago, AC93 said:

I had not considered it to be honest! I just remember my TT auto having stock Bilstein suspension and being peerrrrrfectly comfortable... do the Eibach springs keep the same level of comfort or is it harsher for being lower?

My main concern is the arches catching, they will be getting rolled but rubbing on the boost squat will be a crash waiting to happen 🤣 

Below you can see the tyres going 'bluey' on the edge where its catching currently...

Screenshot_20210120_103843_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Mine have never rubbed on the rears, what size wheel, offset, and tyre do you use?

Edited by Burna (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, AC93 said:

That's good to know, how's the comfort compared to stock TT setup?

My rear wheels are:

10J ET35 on 285/35/18 tyres 

That's strange, mine are 10J ET45 and never had a problem with rubbing.

Your tyres are 10mm to wide on the rear, as the correct width is 275mm, also because of that you are roughly 10mm bigger on the diameter than you would be with a 35 profile on 275mm wide tyres. Maybe that is a contributing factor? Combined with the TRD suspension which could be lower? Also don't get the arches rolled, that's just a bodge in my opinion, instead of solving the problem properly.

Comfort wise on the Eibachs, I haven't really noticed a difference, but the handling is a massive improvement in my opinion, also of others that have driven my car hard :)

1 minute ago, Burna said:

Your tyres are 10mm to wide on the rear, as the correct width is 275mm, also because of that you are roughly 10mm bigger on the diameter than you would be with a 35 profile on 275mm wide tyres. Maybe that is a contributing factor? Combined with the TRD suspension which could be lower? Also don't get the arches rolled, that's just a bodge in my opinion, instead of solving the problem properly.

Comfort wise on the Eibachs, I haven't really noticed a difference, but the handling is a massive improvement in my opinion, also of others that have driven my car hard :)

As an asaide, how do you find traction now that you are running more power ? do you spin the tyres aot or does the car put the power down well all things considered ? 

7 minutes ago, Burna said:

4 minutes ago, mattdavies said:

As an asaide, how do you find traction now that you are running more power ? do you spin the tyres aot or does the car put the power down well all things considered ? 

I believe it is to do with the TRD coilies being set too low.. 

I chose the 285 tyres as they were the maximum recommended size for the rims, it puts the power down quite well considering that torque curve! SRD said it gripped well. Of course if its a tad damp/greasy it will light up in 3rd but thats expected! I know on any smaller tyres it would spin up at motorways speeds! 

27 minutes ago, mattdavies said:

Traction was great when we gave it shit for 4 days in Germany in September, but it was shorts weather all the time we were there, so nice dry warm roads.

5 minutes ago, AC93 said:

I believe it is to do with the TRD coilies being set too low.. 

I chose the 285 tyres as they were the maximum recommended size for the rims, it puts the power down quite well considering that torque curve! SRD said it gripped well. Of course if its a tad damp/greasy it will light up in 3rd but thats expected! I know on any smaller tyres it would spin up at motorways speeds! 

I think it is to do with the TRD's being set too low, maybe raise them and try them?

4 hours ago, Burna said:

Traction was great when we gave it shit for 4 days in Germany in September, but it was shorts weather all the time we were there, so nice dry warm roads.

I think it is to do with the TRD's being set too low, maybe raise them and try them?

Yeh that's the next plan, if I get a dry day this weekend I'll look at raising the rear to see if that helps

• 2 months later...

SMOKEEE!! 

Was a bit scary, luckily I spotted it through the vented bonnet. Turns out the oil feed had a weep and was dropping oil on the turbo blanket and manifold. Very lucky it didn't go up in flames! 

Blanket was ruined, luckily @Dave_Batch was around to cut the end, bodge a temp repair and get me home! 

Got a new line made up from a local hydraulic lines place and fitted the new line with a new Funk Motorsport turbo and wastegate blanket 👌🏽

Gave the Supra an oil and filter change too and the oil was a bit dark and so far she's all gooooood! 

Because of all the Brexit crap my suspension still hasn't arrived. But TCB have said it's due any day now! 

Will also be ordering a K Sport front and rear set up so my LS400 kit and TT 2 pot rears will be for sale soon. 

Other than that not too much to report, SRD told me in December my alternator was struggling and the battery has been dying weekly so I fitted a new SRD alternator. But I fear it may be the battery itself, depleted once and now not happy! Will keep an eye on it. 

The most annoying part was the plug block was an inch further away so I had to cut and extend the wires, but apart from that it's been great! 

20210306_183159.jpg

20210314_103944.jpg

20210310_181428.jpg

I have been out on a few drives. 

Cars killed so far:

Stage 2 335i

Various 911's

C63S, I needed the boost upped to 550 to beat him, they are bloody quick cars even from a roll! 

I have videos of it all that I am putting together and will be uploaded soon.  

The car has struggled for traction but on Monday when it was 20 degrees I went out and with the tyres warmed up in hooked in 2nd gear at 550hp and it shot off, heart was racing! 

Look forward to turning it up and seeing what dragy box times it does at the full 700! 

• Like 1

Had a engine warning light come on Sunday ..sad times. I was only a few minutes from home so just eased it back. Turned it off and on and was still there, but weirdly next day it went away? 

I plugged it in and sent the file off to Lee/SRD at 6pm last night after work. 

He messaged me back just after 9pm the SAME DAY and told me what the problem was. Proper customer after care. 

Turns out my TPS triggered a fault, so I need to check the sensor or wiring when I next get a chance. Hopefully a simple fix! 

• 2 weeks later...

Shout out to SRD again!

Mike remotely whizzed through my ECU on a Saturday afternoon and sorted out my rev limit and a few other bits. Hopefully all sorted now, I felt bad disturbing them on the weekend but Mike seemed happy to help :)

• 4 weeks later...

Little update:

My Bilstein OEM suspension finally arrived from Germany a last week! Hopefully get that all put together and on the car this month when the weather allows. Should stop the scrubbing and give me some comfort and can get the alignment all sorted with the new bolts and washers for front and rear camber. 

Only issue I've had is a leaky oil feed line and return. This was due to the poor Walton manifold 😑, the turbo doesn't sit as well as it should, it was hard to spot as it's under the turbo, but went to take it to work and could smell oil so took it home and investigated after work!

Abit of pressure on the return pipe is needed to get it angled at the sump and this seems to have ever so slightly bent the flange, so got it resurfaced on a belt sander thanks to @Dave_Batch again (he had the same issue with his Walton manifold and return line). New gasket and all is well! ...but then the feed had a weep! Took a gamble with this oil line as it was rated to 100 degrees, which is what the oil gets to, so I think the seal gave way after about 7 weeks from the last 'smoke' incident. Had it upgraded to a stainless braid ..seemed fine, but STILL had a weep! 😭 Took it off and realised the BSP fitting in the turbo must have deformed or been overtightened. So a new fitting and reattached the line. Took it for a long drive and all good! 😁

20210507_180230.jpg

20210509_123358.jpg

20210512_175316.jpg

IMG-20210511-WA0004.jpeg

2 hours ago, Noz said:

100 degrees with your oil blimey! Mine tops over 90 when I'm giving it some beans. Is that a regular temp?

Pretty sure gloves are meant to come with thumbs too 😆

I assume so, I haven't checked the oil temp while driving, but I am getting a cheap laptop to keep with me on all my drives. But my Skoda vRS that I just sold had an oil temp display in the dash and that would get to between 95 and 103 degrees? 

They usually do, but this was the only sized gloves available for £7 a few months back, I'm not paying £20 a pack 🤣

3 hours ago, Style said:

100deg is fine. I was reaching 130 on the motorway before tripping the limit set on my gauge 🤣

That soon prompted an oil cooler purchase and temps hover aroundn 95deg as well now

Yeh 130 is high 🤣

I was out in my RS4 on Saturday and that got to 97-100 degrees on the dash display so I guess that's normal. I'm still running the factory modine oil cooler, should be fine but will upgrade if needs be! 

Top job.. 👏

I'm so glad you posted all this info as I am in a similar situation.

Got a really cheap Gs300 vvti engine for £250, actually i got the whole car and had to remove the engine.

I'm planning in doing something similar engine wise, but instead of going single I want to use the stock Jap TT setup.

was also thinking in sound deadening the whole car since i don't have the carpet and i have 60 kg of that stuff sitting in my garage.

top job...

19 hours ago, trinitom said:

Top job.. 👏

Got a really cheap Gs300 vvti engine for £250, actually i got the whole car and had to remove the engine.

I'm planning in doing something similar engine wise, but instead of going single I want to use the stock Jap TT setup.

was also thinking in sound deadening the whole car since i don't have the carpet and i have 60 kg of that stuff sitting in my garage.

top job...

Yeh I paid £250 for my engine too! 

TT VVTi setup would be cool, but I think the exhausts manifolds are different between GE/GTE so might need some custom fabrication there 

Sound deadening was a good move, it's so much nicer to drive! ..and at 70mph on the motorway it's perfectly comfortable with little NVH. 

20 hours ago, trinitom said:

Top job.. 👏

top job...

@AC93 is correct. The stock twin turbos won't fit an NA engine.

I paid £70 for my space GE engine 🤣

Paid more for the vvti head to go on it. Hahahaha.