The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA ITB Build - I've gone rogue

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The moment we've been waiting for, the sound!! Finally had dyno day, have a listen and let me know what you think!    

I'm beyond excited to hear it on full chat! Will definitely get you guys a video once it's up and running. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Herb said:

Just another info based on my experience - no matter with which aftermarket manifold you will go.

Make sure that the outlet of the manifold (where it is mated to the 3“ midpipe) is also 3“. My manifold was 2,5“ in the past and I had this fixed this year and enlarged to 3“. At the same time I got a Vband installed in that area.

17E5BD27-0775-43E4-8717-8CEB7037EDE2.jpeg

4A8F9F45-4AC7-46B0-8EF9-87CF9365EE4B.jpeg

9B00D57A-14DC-4FF0-A9C4-D8158284865E.jpeg

Nice one mate, what problems did you have associated with the difference in tube size? I think my exhaust is 2.5" anyway if i remember correctly, had it custom made a few years back and wanted a less 'bellowy' noise if you get me

1 hour ago, Herb said:

Yes ist was slightly rerouted in that area where it might interfere with the steering column. Nothing major its just about 1cm of clearance or so.

Can‘t you still get that manifold through MVP Motorsports in Texas/US? I‘m not sure as I bought mine many years ago.

However, I do get your point regarding costs involved. Importing parts from the US is not cheap these days.... heck is it even not cheap to get parts from the UK to EU anymore unfortunately. So if there is a way to get a manifold custom made at a reasonable price point I would go for it if I were you.  Would definitely recommend to try and avoid the stock (exhaust) manifold as it is a bottleneck with NA 2JZs.

I couldn't see it on their website, though I could very well have missed it. It's a minefield looking for an actual NA manifold and not a NA-T...

4 hours ago, Eightdip said:

Nice one mate, what problems did you have associated with the difference in tube size? I think my exhaust is 2.5" anyway if i remember correctly, had it custom made a few years back and wanted a less 'bellowy' noise if you get me

I was told by my engine builder that the difference in tube size is not ideal from a flow perspective. In addition to that this area kept leaking a bit. Hence I decided to enlarge the diameter an go with a Vband clamp instead.

As for the MVP manifold I had a quick look and also could not find it… it might has been discontinued in the meantime unfortunately.

You are absolutely right regarding noise… a GE can become very loud with BC cams, intake, exhaust manifold etc. Hence, I went with a Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust (one of the quietest exhausts for the Supra I know of) to keep things legal in my country (very restrictive regarding noise down here).

1 hour ago, Herb said:

I was told by my engine builder that the difference in tube size is not ideal from a flow perspective. In addition to that this area kept leaking a bit. Hence I decided to enlarge the diameter an go with a Vband clamp instead.

As for the MVP manifold I had a quick look and also could not find it… it might has been discontinued in the meantime unfortunately.

You are absolutely right regarding noise… a GE can become very loud with BC cams, intake, exhaust manifold etc. Hence, I went with a Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust (one of the quietest exhausts for the Supra I know of) to keep things legal in my country (very restrictive regarding noise down here).

Understood, guess it's all good if I'm 2.5" all the way through then. It's a shame you have to worry about noise levels on the roads

Looks like @HarleyFDMD has saved the day and has sold me his manifold, we should continue to hear some glorious ITB noises! 

Genuinely concerned in terms of noise levels for future track days though, might have to get a bung or new exhaust section to quieten it down a tad. I'll worry about that later though...