The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance for standard Supra with agreed value

Tyson

10 hours ago, mplavery said:

Been with sky past 8 years but there struggling to keep up with the value of them

ive moved to Adrian Flux now

agreed value 40k and premium £380

This bodes well if flux are happy to to except 40k supras they should be more than happy that i asked 25. And more than makes my mind up to up it to 30 ish next year

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 2:13 PM, Tyson said:

It would be really helpful whoever you go with to share the Agreed Value you get. I am in the process of having mine agreed and when I do, I will share.

Had a call back from Reis, sent them details of the car (BPU TT Auto now), list of all mods and work (invoices), 8 photos and a value of £35,000 as a starting point. They said they had a look across all of their policies and didn't have a policy that fit. One of the issues was that it was stored in an allocated parking bay and not a private drive. Another issue was the power at BPU and another being the value was too high.

I'll probably try Adrian Flux next.

Edited by Jord (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Jord said:

Had a call back from Reis, sent them details of the car (BPU TT Auto now), list of all mods and work (invoices), 8 photos and a value of £35,000 as a starting point. They said they had a look across all of their policies and didn't have a policy that fit. One of the issues was that it was stored in an allocated parking bay and not a private drive. Another issue was the power at BPU and another being the value was too high.

Thanks for sharing, these were my concerns of moving over then finding out they could be where I needed them to be and wasting money having to cancel and swap back. Just in the process of doing mine with Lancaster now.

16 hours ago, Jord said:

Not sure why the power would be an issue. They do my 600 no problem.

Curious to see if you resolve the pricing with someone else.

12 minutes ago, Noz said:

Not sure why the power would be an issue. They do my 600 no problem.

Curious to see if you resolve the pricing with someone else.

I was a bit surprised, full NCB, no points, didn't require track insurance etc. I thought maybe my valuation was a little high or maybe most of it was to do with it being in an allocated parking bay.

4 hours ago, Jord said:

I was a bit surprised, full NCB, no points, didn't require track insurance etc. I thought maybe my valuation was a little high or maybe most of it was to do with it being in an allocated parking bay.

A few places wouldn't quote for an agreed value policy on my classic Range Rover unless it was garaged

overnight when it was at my home address 

1 hour ago, Mo Reviews said:

I think you’ll find it’s the fact that it isn’t garaged. They’re happy to insure mine at 1500whp…

So they won't agree to high valuation cars if they're not garaged? Mine is kept on my drive.....

31 minutes ago, Rashed said:

So they won't agree to high valuation cars if they're not garaged? Mine is kept on my drive.....

It's probably more to do with the fact it's parked on public property rather than private property such as a driveway or a garage. I would imagine that not being garaged would just make the premium higher.

• Like 1

Just now, Tyson said:

It's probably more to do with the fact it's parked on public property rather than private property such as a driveway or a garage. I would imagine that not being garaged would just make the premium higher.

Ah ok fair enough. Having my car garaged is not an option and I don't think it will ever will be tbh but I guess I'll be happy to accept a higher premium for this as long as a policy is available to accept this with a high value vehicle parked on a drive.

3 minutes ago, Rashed said:

Ah ok fair enough. Having my car garaged is not an option and I don't think it will ever will be tbh but I guess I'll be happy to accept a higher premium for this as long as a policy is available to accept this with a high value vehicle parked on a drive.

There are so many things that would affect a premium and a insurers ability to insure you, and each one is different so there's no point in trying to understand it 😁

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tyson said:

Not what I found with my Range Rover, some said it had to be garaged overnight or they wouldn't

quote for an agreed value policy

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Dnk said:

Not what I found with my Range Rover, some said it had to be garaged overnight or they wouldn't

quote for an agreed value policy

6 hours ago, tayr said:

Most over a certain value will say it needs to be garaged, and have tracker.

It is the discretion of the underwriter though. 

I think I posted it in another thread but I stand by my statement that there is not point trying to understand Insurance providers as they all have their own special way of doing things!

Cars like ours will most likely will be stolen to order rather than your everyday opportunist. Those kind of people will easily be able to find where your vehicle is located so being garaged is ultimately a moot point. You'd be better off building a moat round it 😄

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tyson said:

I think I posted it in another thread but I stand by my statement that there is not point trying to understand Insurance providers as they all have their own special way of doing things!

Cars like ours will most likely will be stolen to order rather than your everyday opportunist. Those kind of people will easily be able to find where your vehicle is located so being garaged is ultimately a moot point. You'd be better off building a moat round it 😄

I never tried to understand insurance in 40 + years of needing it. 

Back in my Supra days it was cheaper to insure my UK spec parked on a busy road than compared 

to it being in a quiet close on a private drive at my mothers house, both had the same post code rating 

• 3 months later...

I've just had a renewal offer with a 2% increase in premium through Hegarty (Hiscox insurer).

I've asked that the Supra agreed value be raised to £44k (30% increase on last year) and that is the new level. I have it as a group policy with my other classics so its impossible to say what the premium breakdown is but its a shade over £700 for a shade over £100k of metal insured on agreed value. As the saying goes, its only money.

Car covered jspec TT6 - 1996.

PS - probably worth adding in conditions as they do affect premiums.

Mileage 1,000 mile limit
Excess £200
Requirements - Garaged overnight when at home. The Insurer has agreed that my 0.4 acre footprint on plot building can be classed as a garage in addition to my garage. This notification was needed to be disclosed and agreed upon as I have more than two cars insured under the group policy and it is only a double garage by the house. 

Edited by rider (see edit history)

On 9/9/2021 at 9:23 AM, rider said:

I've just had a renewal offer with a 2% increase in premium through Hegarty (Hiscox insurer).

I've asked that the Supra agreed value be raised to £44k (30% increase on last year) and that is the new level. I have it as a group policy with my other classics so its impossible to say what the premium breakdown is but its a shade over £700 for a shade over £100k of metal insured on agreed value. As the saying goes, its only money.

Car covered jspec TT6 - 1996.

PS - probably worth adding in conditions as they do affect premiums.

Mileage 1,000 mile limit
Excess £200
Requirements - Garaged overnight when at home. The Insurer has agreed that my 0.4 acre footprint on plot building can be classed as a garage in addition to my garage. This notification was needed to be disclosed and agreed upon as I have more than two cars insured under the group policy and it is only a double garage by the house. 

Renewal was £218.70 (0% increase on last year)

Premium was the £237.70 with increased value (£19.04 increase for increase value)

Agreed Value - £50,000 (56.25% increase on last year, fought hard this year as I accepted first offer of £32,000 last year)

Mileage - 3000 miles

Excess - Which one are you quoting?

Requirements - Locked garage overnight when within 1/4 mile of my home.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tyson said:

Renewal was £218.70 (0% increase on last year)

Premium was the £237.70 with increased value (£19.04 increase for increase value)

Agreed Value - £50,000 (87.5% increase on last year, fought hard this year as I accepted first offer of £32,000 last year)

Mileage - 3000 miles

Excess - Which one are you quoting?

Requirements - Locked garage overnight when within 1/4 mile of my home.

You sure that's 87.5% ? 😁

• Sad 1