The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hybrid/highflow twin turbos VS small single turbo setup

Rashed

Reviving an old thread here 😂

So initially I decided to go for a set of hybrids with a CW SMIC, Syvecs ECU and all other supporting modifications i.e fueling/cams/head work. My target was to make a reliable and constant 550whp.

Now plans have changed and I've bit the bullet and decided to go for a single turbo setup, the costs of going for a developed set of hybrids and then maybe having to deal with them being unreliable just could not be justified. Plus I could run into the issues of intake temps and cooling issues. 

Anyway as I'm looking into single turbo setups the Walton Motorsport manifold and the new Garrett G35-1050 turbo look promising, seem to offer good spool and response. I will ofcourse be using a full front mount intercooler instead of the CW SMIC I had. 

I'm new to all of this so please excuse my very little knowledge of it all 😂

Power wise I'd like to see 600whp at the minimum but closer to 700whp would be nice. 

I'd like to ask for anyone and everyones input on turbo/manifold combinations for my set goals if I could, many thanks :)

You have to understand the difference in scale between this wheel hp thing and crank hp, you have to factor in the transmission losses, so 550whp is well over 600 actual hp. Thats a big turbo territory nowhere near hybrids. Wish people would stop this wheel hp thing 😁

39 minutes ago, mwilkinson said:

The CW SMIC can handle approx 600 bhp.  There are a few members running this setup.

With the CW SMIC 550-600bhp can be made no doubt but the results aren't consistent and a few hard pulls things just start to get hot from what I've seen. Tbh it is a lot to ask from such a small unit.

19 minutes ago, Swampy442 said:

You have to understand the difference in scale between this wheel hp thing and crank hp, you have to factor in the transmission losses, so 550whp is well over 600 actual hp. Thats a big turbo territory nowhere near hybrids. Wish people would stop this wheel hp thing 😁

I know I know 😂

After wanting 550whp I know the actual crank figure will be well over 600bhp after a transmission loss of about 15-20% which is a hell of a lot to ask from a set of hybrids hence the decision to go for a big single has become the way forward. 

I made 616whp at SRD, so just over 700hp.. and trust me it's scary.

I used a Walton manifold, but have a look at my thread and see the problems I had! I would recommend a manifold from somewhere else, even if it costs a but more it's worth it for having the headache! 

3 hours ago, AC93 said:

I made 616whp at SRD, so just over 700hp.. and trust me it's scary.

I used a Walton manifold, but have a look at my thread and see the problems I had! I would recommend a manifold from somewhere else, even if it costs a but more it's worth it for having the headache! 

Sent you a PM on FB :)

8 hours ago, Rashed said:

I'm considering the SRD one 😂

Well, pretty much 99% of people who buy expensive stuff have never tried cheap stuff OR have had a bad experience. So I understand the reasoning from both sides. I think there are more tolerance spreads with cheaper stuff. So sometimes the odd mod will be required. Minimum effort though.

If a manifold cracks, you just weld it. I braced mine and modified it to suit a vband wastegate. Then ported it best I could. I also rotated the wastegate outlet so I have the wastegate in the top side by the turbo. Machined the flange flat and it mated fine. Any basic niggles so easy to fix even in the off chance any thing does arise. But these mods aren't always essential or required, I just wanted to do it lol.

I see all these twin turbo peeps running 264 cams and expensive parts to hit 600hp. I've a little NA-t and running STOCK cams hitting 600hp so it can't be that bad. No boost control issues. Another funny thing is my old T61 turbo, XS power ebay jobbie, been running fine (new owner at 400hp also) for NINE YEARS! Not related but mental I thought.

Invest in the ecu and wastegate without a doubt. But manifold, down/midpipes, I've not seen anyone gain from spending out on that. I probably could have got away with a cheaper intercooler too.

For much higher power it's perhaps better to have thicker sections for heat soak issues but where that limit is, I've no idea. It's definitely not at 600hp for a road car anyway.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 9:12 AM, mwilkinson said:

The CW SMIC can handle approx 600 bhp.  There are a few members running this setup.

It won't, I recently discovered this. It will manage one hard pull, but will heat soak straight away. It's just not big enough to cope.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mwilkinson said:

Can I ask what power you were trying to achieve with the CW SMIC?

Any sort of decent power mate, it just couldn't handle what I use the car for. We tried 1.5 bar, 1.3, and 1.1 bar. You will get one hard full pull and the air intake temperature would sky rocket and set the alarm off. As it was put to me by my mapper, if it was a 'cars & coffee' car it would be fine, for the odd pull here and there it's 'ok', but he's known me for years and seen me drive across Europe on trips and knows I kick the cars head in, with back to back to back full hard pulls. So it was decided to go for a 4" ETS fmic in the end.

• 1 year later...

Thanks @Noz

Thought I'd just go all out in the end and chase some power.

Precision 6870

SRD turbo manifold

Hypertune intake manifold

Kelford cams

Syvecs

Built engine

Can't remember everything off the top off my head lol

Also trying to get a custom front mount intercooler made to flow well and keep the factory active spoiler upfront functioning.

I need to get a proper build thread up on here when I get a chance

received_1814113422096960.thumb.jpeg.425a56356fcc74b0d40eafe4b65fb193.jpeg

received_566262265295093.thumb.jpeg.b5a743c391b5bc0b2814ee01572612ae.jpegreceived_629835458739426.thumb.jpeg.97351cb7a346dd4e7ea191df1cd277c1.jpeg

received_759913938421430.thumb.jpeg.ec767c36c707f027cb6cb3f71bb30d90.jpeg

received_1170805650311263.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Rashed said:

Thanks @Noz

Precision 6870

SRD turbo manifold

Kelford cams

Syvecs

Built engine

Also trying to get a custom front mount intercooler made to flow well and keep the factory active spoiler upfront functioning.

received_566262265295093.thumb.jpeg.b5a743c391b5bc0b2814ee01572612ae.jpegreceived_629835458739426.thumb.jpeg.97351cb7a346dd4e7ea191df1cd277c1.jpeg

What brand of manifold wrap/sleeve is that? 

On 11/4/2022 at 3:55 PM, Rashed said:

Thanks @Noz

Precision 6870

SRD turbo manifold

Kelford cams

Syvecs

Built engine

Nice spec 🙂

In regards to the custom front mount intercooler to leave the active spoiler in place, my advise is don't waste any more of your time on it. I went heavily down this route in the beginning, money was no object to have something custom made, but in the end when you look at what space you have and where the airflow comes in, the custom intercooler would not be big enough to cope and get any good airflow to do any cooling.

Remove the active spoiler, fit a proper FMIC like a 4" ETS, and fit just the active spoiler rubber lip in the down position, that's what I did in the end 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 9:03 AM, Burna said:

Nice spec 🙂

In regards to the custom front mount intercooler to leave the active spoiler in place, my advise is don't waste any more of your time on it. I went heavily down this route in the beginning, money was no object to have something custom made, but in the end when you look at what space you have and where the airflow comes in, the custom intercooler would not be big enough to cope and get any good airflow to do any cooling.

Remove the active spoiler, fit a proper FMIC like a 4" ETS, and fit just the active spoiler rubber lip in the down position, that's what I did in the end 🙂

Thanks for your input Burna, I've looked at your efforts of running a FMIC along with a functioning active spoiler and seen that you ended going down the route of having the spoiler lip sticking out with the ETC FMIC so all of this started with looking at your build. 

This is where I am now with a 5" core:

received_616684913528131.thumb.jpeg.2756450e702799b6ef19d9e2212fb8ca.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Kev.O said:

I would love to see a build thread please. 

This! 

Love details like the very neat manifold heat protection. It looks like something that belongs on an Apollo mission.

The oil cooler looks very neat too, is that custom?

Get a thread up 😉