The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Heritage program: Poll for A80 Supra parts (Mods)

Jellybean

This is a joke. Here's how this is likely to play out:

1. Toyota starts manufacturing these parts in small quantities

2. Toyota then makes losses as the manufacturing costs of these parts far outweighs the profits they generate

3. An executive somehwere in Japan decides to pull the plug on the project as it is deemed uneconomical to continue.

What I don't quite understand is the rationale behind the parts they are proposing to start remanufacturing first? Who the hell wants a door handle when their gearbox is broken? It's like Toyota threw all the discontinued parts in a jar, mixed it up, then started pulling them out at random...

A more positive slant might be.....that they've considered it's never going to be a big profit maker but have decided to do it anyway? Doesn't rule out a future executive pulling the plug I agree, but starting this sort of thing is the biggest hurdle I think?

There is a chance modern techniques/materials might be better/cheaper to reproduce, but as a downside there is also a chance the parts won't be 'exactly' like the original possibly even lower quality?

I think the plastic parts etc fit with your first two points, if the window button pieces etc were reproduced at reasonable prices there is a chance many owners will refresh them so it works for both us and Toyota, the market for gearboxes may be less. For a few individuals there may be an urgent need in that in extremis the car would end up being parted out if no gearbox can be found, but the vast majority of Supra's won't ever need a replacement 6 speed, nearly all have been destroyed from being subjected to way more than they should, same with Diff's etc. Trim pieces, bumpers fixings make sense for those wanting resprays etc.

I think it's a wait and see thing, but I don't see the parts being cheap or even our/my version of 'reasonable', the uk turbo's for instance on ebay are still over £2K a piece. It's not a coincidence IMO that this is happening now the values are soaring, plenty of new owners (globally) have lots of money to spend.

A more positive slant might be.....that they've considered it's never going to be a big profit maker but have decided to do it anyway? Doesn't rule out a future executive pulling the plug I agree, but starting this sort of thing is the biggest hurdle I think?

There is a chance modern techniques/materials might be better/cheaper to reproduce, but as a downside there is also a chance the parts won't be 'exactly' like the original possibly even lower quality?

I think the plastic parts etc fit with your first two points, if the window button pieces etc were reproduced at reasonable prices there is a chance many owners will refresh them so it works for both us and Toyota, the market for gearboxes may be less. For a few individuals there may be an urgent need in that in extremis the car would end up being parted out if no gearbox can be found, but the vast majority of Supra's won't ever need a replacement 6 speed, nearly all have been destroyed from being subjected to way more than they should, same with Diff's etc. Trim pieces, bumpers fixings make sense for those wanting resprays etc.

I think it's a wait and see thing, but I don't see the parts being cheap or even our/my version of 'reasonable', the uk turbo's for instance on ebay are still over £2K a piece. It's not a coincidence IMO that this is happening now the values are soaring, plenty of new owners (globally) have lots of money to spend.

Only time will tell... but ultimately I think the only thing that would really upset my assessment is the pricing of these parts. If they have a massive "classic car part" tax slapped on to them, it may well be worthwhile the small scale manufacturing process... as for actually going ahead with it, I think Toyota may have actually realised the magnitude of the missed opportunity, that is the MKV, and this may just be a nod to the original Toyota Supra customer.

You are on to something here Scooter, and it's the timing of this whole thing. Do they read this massive hike in prices as an indicator of the type of customer and potentially a way for them to tap into that market?

Edited by Mo Reviews (see edit history)

Don't expect this stuff to be cheap, or as high quality as the original OEM parts.

Toyota will find the lowest bidder to do this stuff as any manufacturer will do, especially for low run rate stuff.. for example I am guessing suspension arms will be pressed metal instead of cast/forged.

But then a new part is a new part

Don't expect this stuff to be cheap, or as high quality as the original OEM parts.

Toyota will find the lowest bidder to do this stuff as any manufacturer will do, especially for low run rate stuff.. for example I am guessing suspension arms will be pressed metal instead of cast/forged.

But then a new part is a new part

Struggle see Toyota selling out to the lowest bidder and supply inferior parts

to be honest let alone ones that are not even close to the original spec

Yes. Like any commercial business, they will follow the money.

the time and effort involved in restarting a programme like this is going to be very expensive. I highly doubt the money they make will be worth the effort but who knows

the time and effort involved in restarting a programme like this is going to be very expensive. I highly doubt the money they make will be worth the effort but who knows

Only time will tell bud. But given their recent antics, I won't be holding my breath. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst...

Struggle see Toyota selling out to the lowest bidder and supply inferior parts

to be honest let alone ones that are not even close to the original spec

Why would Toyota not go to the lowest bidder? If they actually do follow through on this heritage program its only because a small percentage of their overall customer base wanted it and therefore Toyota are doing us a favor, so later on in life you may choose to buy another Toyota.

Its not like a few remade parts is going to make Toyota any money, so they will probably use the cheapest company to make the stuff and sell it on under the heritage name for the same or inflated price. I will very much doubt it will be cheaper! actually thinking about it you will probably find even the lowest bidder these days can make kit the same if not better than they could 20 years ago!

Yes. Like any commercial business, they will follow the money.
You think Toyota or any manufacturer, creates a heritage program with goal of making a profit, they will be lucky to break even

Do you have anything positive to say about the brand , if you are so hard done by just sell the car on or do something constructive than just complaining in every thread, even threads, are not related to this you moan about it

You think Toyota or any manufacturer, creates a heritage program with goal of making a profit, they will be lucky to break even

Do you have anything positive to say about the brand , if you are so hard done by just sell the car on or do something constructive than just complaining in every thread, even threads, are not related to this you moan about it

/QUOTE]

Yes of course they do. Are you telling me the likes of Porsche and Ferrari would bother going through the hassle, if there was no money to be made out of it? No commercial business is going to give free hand-outs to serve their 'loyal subjects'. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're just a number to them. Such a quixotic view is unfortunately impractical and unrealistic in the real world.

I'm evidently not the only one commenting with views you clearly disagree with on this thread, yet you seem to only focus on my posts. Perhaps you missed the bulletin?

As for my cars, I will not sell them simply because I dislike the manufacturer's recent actions. I feel the suggestion is rather childish and not entirely genuine.

/QUOTE]

Not specifically aimed at you Jellybean but just wanted to say something about the general vibe re Adam.

One of the early threads got derailed and I think there is an ongoing slightly anti Adam vibe. His signature may provoke some reverse snobbery or point perhaps to a larger than average head :D but he recently bought a stock exhaust from me and I just wanted to say he's a really nice guy that's gone full circle on the Supra's and despite some very serious machinery in between has returned to the marque and even now has two. So I don't think that's running down the brand at all, I think he's more annoyed at the Toyota of today and their less committed production of the Mkv and therefore is cynical about their seriousness now on this issue.

Anyway just wanted to say that for what it's worth.

Not specifically aimed at you Jellybean but just wanted to say something about the general vibe re Adam.

One of the early threads got derailed and I think there is an ongoing slightly anti Adam vibe. His signature may provoke some reverse snobbery or point perhaps to a larger than average head :D but he recently bought a stock exhaust from me and I just wanted to say he's a really nice guy that's gone full circle on the Supra's and despite some very serious machinery in between has returned to the marque and even now has two. So I don't think that's running down the brand at all, I think he's more annoyed at the Toyota of today and their less committed production of the Mkv and therefore is cynical about their seriousness now on this issue.

Anyway just wanted to say that for what it's worth.

Thank you for your kind words Scooter. I am somewhat embarrassed as you have felt compelled to take the time and invest the effort to step in and say all of this in an attempt to tackle this negative and toxic vibe. For that, you have my gratitude and thanks.

It's a new year and a new decade so let's all make an effort to get along and try and move on.

Edited by Mo Reviews (see edit history)