The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Heritage program: Poll for A80 Supra parts (Mods)

Jellybean

I'm hoping that any heritage parts service will be facilitated directly through Toyota and not pushed out to third parties.

I suspect parts will be expensive, regardless of thier availability (captive market etc.). The last thing we then need is further intermediaries taking thier slice and artificially controlling demand through mass purchasing and storage of stock.

For this to work though, Toyota (Toyota UK in particular) need to get to grips with thier blatant over pricing of parts compared to the rest of the world. Purchasing in the UK needs to be a viable and cost effective option, otherwise overseas dealers will always be the cheapest option.

restoring my car this year I have found a few bits in uk (mainly from members or breakers) then I have ordered parts from USA, Dubai, and japan with hundreds of pounds of shipping and import taxes, will out this car wouldn't be back on the road in December.

Restoration started in February.

Still impossible to buy headlight washer horns after all this searching unless you buy another car with them already it seems.

• 1 month later...

Current Reproduction items with an expected 2020 go live date

GR Heritage parts will be exhibited at "TOKYO AUTO SALON 2020" to be held at Makuhari Messe (Mihama-ku, Chiba ) for three days from January 10 (Fri) to 12 (Sun)

• A70 Supra Propeller shaft, door handle, fuel sender gauge, weather strip, front emblem
  • A80 Supra Headlamp, door handle, brake booster

A80 LIST for Toyota (Discontinued Parts)

Items with no alternative but A80 OE

1) Rear lower control arms (shock and knuckle attach to) Discontinued 48730-14030;48740-14060

2) Steering Rack 44250-14210

3) ABS sensors 89543-14020;89542-14020;89545-14010;89546-14010

4) Engine loom 82121-14800;89656-14010(earth);

5) Heater Matrix(Heater Core) -- 88501-14240 ; 87107-14190

6) Center Instrument Panel 55405-14120

7) Instrument Cluster 55420-14030; 55420-14030

8) Instrument Cluster No.2 55404-14510

9) Instrument Cluster Top 55410-14500

10) Rear Quarter windows 62720-14260; 62710-14260; 62720-14270; 62710-14270

11) Rear Quarter panels 61611-1B120; 61612-1B090

12) V160/V161 Gearbox Gears & Bearings

13) RHD Firewall Heat shield 55223-14030

14) Center rear console 58911-14120-C0

15) Center rear console lid 58905-14080-C0

16) Center console front 58802-14060-C0

17) Driver front armrest panel 74231-14120

18) Passenger front armrest panel 74232-14110-C0

19) Front Door Pull 74813-14010-C0; 74814-14010-C0

20) Front Armrest 74210-14120-C0; 74220-14130-C0

21) Sun Visor 74310-14610-B0; 74320-14680-B0

22) Cylinder Lock set 69005-14680 (Front doors, boot, ignition)

23) Front Door Handle 69210-14100; 69220-14110

24) V160/V161 Gearbox 33030-0w212

25) Dash Console 55401-14500-C0

V160/V161 Gearbox Gears & Bearings

* 33370-0W010 HUB ASSY, SYNCHRONIZER, NO.2

* 90069-10011 BEARING

* 90069-10019 BEARING

* Counter shaft assembly 33421-0W060 [ discontinued ]

* 6TH gear Counter 33429-0W010 [ discontinued ]

* 5th gear Counter 33428-0W030[ discontinued ]

* 1st gear driven 33032-0W030[ discontinued ]

It will be hilarious if they do a 6speed for 2k

Can you imagine how many people will try and stock pile them at that price. Question is though, if these parts get reproduced for significantly less value, will the prices of Supras come down? Something to ponder.

I don't see how they will be able to make parts in small quantities for bargin prices

Engineering just doesn't work like that

You want 1 the price is big

You want 1000 then it drops massively

I guess we'll have to wait and see

This is a joke. Here's how this is likely to play out:

1. Toyota starts manufacturing these parts in small quantities

2. Toyota then makes losses as the manufacturing costs of these parts far outweighs the profits they generate

3. An executive somehwere in Japan decides to pull the plug on the project as it is deemed uneconomical to continue.

What I don't quite understand is the rationale behind the parts they are proposing to start remanufacturing first? Who the hell wants a door handle when their gearbox is broken? It's like Toyota threw all the discontinued parts in a jar, mixed it up, then started pulling them out at random...

Edited by Mo Reviews (see edit history)

Can you imagine how many people will try and stock pile them at that price. Question is though, if these parts get reproduced for significantly less value, will the prices of Supras come down? Something to ponder.

Why would it? The number of Supras will not increase. This would be something to consider if they start to manufacture the entire car again. The availability of parts may actually serve to add value to the car. However, the prices of these parts would not naturally correlate to the value of the car.

Edited by Mo Reviews (see edit history)

Why would it? The number of Supras will not increase. This would be something to consider if they start to manufacture the entire car again. The availability of parts may actually serve to add value to the car. However, the prices of these parts would not naturally correlate to the value of the car.

When I was typing my comment out, I had a feeling the person to respond would be you :D

It was more inline with the fact that the initial prices of Supras were driven up not solely by the 'availability' of them. The prices started going up as the cost of the parts attached to them were going up. 6 speed boxes shot through the roof and people started working out how much their car would be if they stripped it so based the sale prices around those costs. Others then saw similar spec cars going for 'X' and started selling for 'X' also or around the same mark.

Obviously there are other factors which determine the value of the car - it was just a mere question as I'm sure some people will have a similar thought process to me.

When I was typing my comment out, I had a feeling the person to respond would be you :D

It was more inline with the fact that the initial prices of Supras were driven up not solely by the 'availability' of them. The prices started going up as the cost of the parts attached to them were going up. 6 speed boxes shot through the roof and people started working out how much their car would be if they stripped it so based the sale prices around those costs. Others then saw similar spec cars going for 'X' and started selling for 'X' also or around the same mark.

Obviously there are other factors which determine the value of the car - it was just a mere question as I'm sure some people will have a similar thought process to me.

Why did you get that feeling? :p

The primary reason for the significant hike in value has been the US market's newly found ability to import cars from Europe and beyond. The secondary reason will naturally be the abundance, or lack thereof, of these cars. As they are no longer being manufactured, there is only one way their numbers can head, and that's down, for various reasons of course.

Take any small quantity item, add a pinch of desirability and you have the perfect recipe for an appreciating asset.

Edited by Mo Reviews
Typos (see edit history)

Headlights are deffo something thats needed, the fact they corrode and are irreplaceable due to discontinuation, if you have a UK spec, is a PITA... so that would be good to have for sure.

Door cards would be good. Anything that can refresh the wear and tear. Leather seat covers etc. But the essentials to keep these things road legal and driving are the important bits.

I think it will add to the value of the cars. I believe people are sometimes put off buying them because parts are hard to source. If parts then became easily available again surely it would increase the market popularity of the car increasing the value further?