The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Low mileage BPU/Stock TT

Foxx

Hi all,

Currently looking for a car as above (ideally manual but would consider auto).

Main focus is on relatively low miles, rust free, BPU (or around that spec). I looked a while ago and nearly bought but everything available then had signs of the rot setting in and/or was too high bhp for me to be comfortable with initially.

Budget 20-30 for the right car. I did see a low mileage import on piston heads but its up for 35k...can it really be worth that? Seems like prices have really peaked at the moment and with signs of a general market crash makes me nervous!

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Hi all,

I did see a low mileage import on piston heads but its up for 35k...can it really be worth that? Seems like prices have really peaked at the moment and with signs of a general market crash makes me nervous!

If you can stretch to £35k you should seriously consider that car, if its still available. Pictures look amazing and it'd come with some kind of dealer warranty so any little problems should be fixed at no cost other than returning to car to them for the work, so that's going to depend how far 'top secret' is from London. I'd be tempted to go have a gander if it was closer.

Supra price rises have slowed, maybe even paused after 4 years of particularly strong growth but the industry has Supra TT6's matching NSX prices in a few years and it also tops the Hegerty strongest interest activity and price rise list. So if its an investment car rather than a car for everyday use then it's unlikely to let you down and if it's an everyday car you are after they are so reliable it's unlikely to let you down.

Budget 20-30 for the right car. I did see a low mileage import on piston heads but its up for 35k...can it really be worth that? Seems like prices have really peaked at the moment and with signs of a general market crash makes me nervous!

There seems to be a massive USA influence on prices right now, they can import 25 year old cars and their domestic Supra's can go for $60K+ (similar spec to the £35K one here but that can't be imported for another few years), initial influx of 93 cars are selling quite high over there, $35-$50K so the demand seems to be there right now. This has had the knock on effect in the Japanese market with importing direct looking to cost you a lot.

Really bad time, price wise to be trying to get one, so caution required, the £35K one on pistonheads whilst I agree is a LOT 'could' be the better buy in the long run than a £20K slightly tired one? (which I would say isn't worth £20K either!)

But being a long term owner and multiple buyer over the years I'm out of touch/bewildered by the current pricing, I fished out my service history the other day and in it is the original UK sales invoice from Jurgen (Japanese importer). It was in 2006/7 and sub £7K, so when you think there is his profit, vat duty and shipping to remove, what was the auction price! it's no shed either, boggy silver Auto TT but straight and clean underneath even now. So to me they all seem expensive and at £35K I'd not want to drive it much in case it depreciated, tough spot, outside chance of a recession and some possible distressed sales but most think this is unlikely.

I'd just say you have a good budget and simply buy the best you can, doubt you'd find one as mint as the £35K one but you may well find one that is just a few years of minor degradation from it for a good chunk less.

Try an auto as I think this could save you perhaps £8-10K alone for a identical conditioned car, although general opinion says if the prices do continue to climb the manuals will do so more and will always be the most desirable.

Hi all,

Currently looking for a car as above (ideally manual but would consider auto).

Main focus is on relatively low miles, rust free, BPU (or around that spec). I looked a while ago and nearly bought but everything available then had signs of the rot setting in and/or was too high bhp for me to be comfortable with initially.

Why in God's name has the market got to do with you wanting a supra, I am blew in face replying to these wanna be car dealers looking to make money, what ever happened to the genuine guy who just always loved a supra.

Why in God's name has the market got to do with you wanting a supra, I am blew in face replying to these wanna be car dealers looking to make money, what ever happened to the genuine guy who just always loved a supra.

To be fair the OP could still genuinely love Supra's. Not sure where the guys received the info on an impending market crash but, if you had this info would you not be concerned about spending money at the top of the market?

There's love for the Supra and then there's spending your money wisely.

Maybe that’s the thing with the 35 low km one, it will be driven so the extra value lost in that might make it an eye watering cost/mile. Seems the higher priced examples aren’t moving too quickly either, all been up for a few months as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the advice so far. Any other offerings of good manuals welcome.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.