The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MkV launch and updates thread

Branners

I think the wing mirror covers are super expensive from Toyota, so the BMW option is definately worth a look.

In terms of accessories from Toyota UK.  Basically they offer nothing. We get a really bad deal compared to other markets.  Anything I want will have to be imported.

I did ask if they could get the wing mirror covers or spoiler and they allegedly can't, or at least couldn't be bothered.

I might also look to get some strut braces which have been installed on the A91 in the US.

I quite like the ones made by Forge Motorsports.

Forge Motorsports

I need to ensure that the desire to mod this car doesn't get in the way of finishing my mkiv!

• 3 weeks later...

We've now done around 400 miles in the car.  My wife is using it as a daily commuter and seems to be enjoying it.

There was an issue with the car on the day of collection, but it was entirely avoidable and down to a poor PDI by the dealer.  They didn't properly activate the SatNav, so that took a week for them to book back in and resolve.  It was a simple 20 minute software activation.

Thus far I'm loving the car. 😍   No plans for any performance mods for now.  I'm looking forward to some dry weather so that I can enjoy the sports mode properly. 😁

20220130_151922.thumb.jpg.3e5d89e2eb7ea0dff9d21d5f80bd291b.jpg20220208_075752.thumb.jpg.eca4558fa97d7c1e141d9eaea6bae3fa.jpg20220208_075626.thumb.jpg.bc82253e57a4912882e8d22b9d612cc5.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

I also discovered that the dealer had put the psi of all the tyres to 42 psi.

The recommended level is 32 psi.  The car has been better to drive since adjusting this.

I'm not impressed with the technical capability of the dealer!  I'm going to have to give some serious thought as to where I can get this serviced.

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

On 2/8/2022 at 8:02 AM, mwilkinson said:

We've now done around 400 miles in the car.  My wife is using it as a daily commuter and seems to be enjoying it.

There was an issue with the car on the day of collection, but it was entirely avoidable and down to a poor PDI by the dealer.  They didn't properly activate the SatNav, so that took a week for them to book back in and resolve.  It was a simple 20 minute software activation.

Thus far I'm loving the car. 😍   No plans for any performance mods for now.  I'm looking forward to some dry weather so that I can enjoy the sports mode properly. 😁

20220130_151922.thumb.jpg.3e5d89e2eb7ea0dff9d21d5f80bd291b.jpg20220208_075752.thumb.jpg.eca4558fa97d7c1e141d9eaea6bae3fa.jpg20220208_075626.thumb.jpg.bc82253e57a4912882e8d22b9d612cc5.jpg

I want a mk5 in silver 😍

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mwilkinson said:

The recommended level is 32 psi.  The car has been better to drive since adjusting this.

I'm not impressed with the technical capability of dealer!  I'm going to have to give some serious thought as to where I can get this serviced.

My local dealers are also absolute dog sh*t

absolutely clueless about the car

20 minutes ago, mwilkinson said:

Have you found anywhere that is better.  There is some talk on the MKV forum of Bracknell Toyota being better?

I'd gladly travel for a better Toyota dealership.

Unfortunately not. I’ve tried my 3 local Toyota dealers. Only good thing is that it’s partnered with a Lexus dealership and I think they help them out sometimes with different bits.

independents will look after the car better in my honest opinion 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mwilkinson said:

I'm not impressed with the technical capability of the dealer!  I'm going to have to give some serious thought as to where I can get this serviced.

Where have you read the correct PSI? Was it from the iDrive settings / tyre pressure monitor? Have you changed any setting since getting the car, specifically sport/dynamic/eco setting? I'm guessing it has the same system as my 1 series and it recommends different pressure settings depending on which mode you are in. I swapped my car over to eco mode and all the pressure lights came on, saying they should be like 45psi and they were only 32psi until I realised why. Switched it back to dynamic and they all went off.

The drivers door shut has prescribed tyre pressures for various loads for different tyre sizes.  I went by these as they were put there by Toyota, I mean BMW.  The highest recommended is 2.6 bar or 38 psi for my wheel sizes.

20220302_175654.thumb.jpg.e1a019c3bf453c1b9cd72bfc35332148.jpg

I then had to reset the tyre pressure monitoring system to log the 32 psi as being the desired pressure.  The tyre pressure isn't affected by the mode the car in, or at least as far as I can tell.

19 hours ago, tayr said:

Unfortunately not. I’ve tried my 3 local Toyota dealers. Only good thing is that it’s partnered with a Lexus dealership and I think they help them out sometimes with different bits.

independents will look after the car better in my honest opinion 

I'd really like to find a Toyota dealer that give a crap about the car and use them. I'm loathed to use an independent whilst under warranty, I get that as long as it is maintained to the same standard and with the correct parts the warranty should stand, but I suspect in the event of a serious claim this would be used against you.

Have you used an independent for anything yet?

Did you get an oil change after the 1200 mile engine run in?

22 minutes ago, mwilkinson said:

I'd really like to find a Toyota dealer that give a crap about the car and use them. I'm loathed to use an independent whilst under warranty, I get that as long as it is maintained to the same standard and with the correct parts the warranty should stand, but I suspect in the event of a serious claim this would be used against you.

Have you used an independent for anything yet?

Did you get an oil change after the 1200 mile engine run in?

I haven’t used an Indy just yet but debating it. Only thing is they’re giving an extra 1 year warranty each service so it staying stock it’s not a bad idea 

i changed the oil myself at 1200 miles because Toyota said it didn’t need one when I asked then tried to charge me £375 out of “courtesy” for me.

12 minutes ago, tayr said:

I haven’t used an Indy just yet but debating it. Only thing is they’re giving an extra 1 year warranty each service so it staying stock it’s not a bad idea 

i changed the oil myself at 1200 miles because Toyota said it didn’t need one when I asked then tried to charge me £375 out of “courtesy” for me.

Did you buy the GR Supra oil?

I also noticed this wasn't required as part of the warranty service schedule, and will probably do the same as you and do it myself.  Especially if they want to charge £375 for the pleasure 😱

3 minutes ago, mwilkinson said:

Did you buy the GR Supra oil?

I also noticed this wasn't required as part of the warranty service schedule, and will probably do the same as you and do it myself.  Especially if they want to charge £375 for the pleasure 😱

Yep, I bought the correct GR Supra Oil (black bottle) from them. When I had the car serviced last time I printed a picture of the oil and put it on the passenger seat as I’ve heard them trying to use the generic oil for others. I don’t know if it makes a difference or if it’s just branding but thought best to be safe. I think it was 5.5 litres or maybe 6.5

Edited by tayr (see edit history)

• 5 months later...

Still loving my A90.  It's now done around 6.5k.  Such an amazing car to drive.

Interestingly we also bought a new BMW M440i gran coupe in May.  This is a B58 mild hybrid with x-drive. It has approx 384 bhp and is certainly a fast and capable car.

It is approx 0.5 sec slower on paper to the Supra, but in reality with the x-drive it is far more consistent in its launch time.

Both my wife and I agree that the BMW isn't as exciting to drive as the GR Supra.

On 3/2/2022 at 6:51 PM, tayr said:

Yep, I bought the correct GR Supra Oil (black bottle) from them. When I had the car serviced last time I printed a picture of the oil and put it on the passenger seat as I’ve heard them trying to use the generic oil for others. I don’t know if it makes a difference or if it’s just branding but thought best to be safe. I think it was 5.5 litres or maybe 6.5

52 minutes ago, mwilkinson said:

Still loving my A90.  It's now done around 6.5k.  Such an amazing car to drive.

Interestingly we also bought a new BMW M440i gran coupe in May.  This is a B58 mild hybrid with x-drive. It has approx 384 bhp and is certainly a fast and capable car.

It is approx 0.5 sec slower on paper to the Supra, but in reality with the x-drive it is far more consistent in its launch time.

Both my wife and I agree that the BMW isn't as exciting to drive as the GR Supra.

It would be nice to see some Mkv Supras on the club stand at the Yakushi show, are you two going to come?