The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MkV launch and updates thread

Branners

One thing I dont get though is why is everyone expecting Toyota to do a Nissan GTR style car?

The Supra was never Toyota's answer to the Nissan R33 GTR it was a reply to Porsche and Ferrari at the time.

So why would they do one now??

Fair enough but it’s literally a Z4 in a new shell, how is that going to compete with anything Ferrari produce?

Even if we say it’s aiming for the Porsche Cayman. Those are pathetic aspirations.

One thing I dont get though is why is everyone expecting Toyota to do a Nissan GTR style car?

The Supra was never Toyota's answer to the Nissan R33 GTR it was a reply to Porsche and Ferrari at the time.

So why would they do one now??

Its not about a reply to a gtr or anything, Nissan did what everyone wanted and released a new gtr that lived up to expectations, broad design that really related to past skylines, the mkV honours the mkIV in silly little ways, its much more of a BMW than a Toyota. Something similar to the FT1 would have hit the nail design wise, some things are really OTT for a production car but the styling and dimensions of the car were what we wanted. We got a GT86 with BMW running gear and a Supra logo on it :cry:

Im a true die hard mkiv fan and would loved to see a mkv that lived up to the Supra name, but this..is not it. Thats for sure. We want a 3JZ! V162! OR A380E trans! targa option, rear spoiler and active front lip! look at those mirrors for gods sake, a 25 year old car had more modern styling.

Edited by evinX (see edit history)

It's also just occurred to me that one of the other factors of buying a MKIV was the supercar performance, in combo with Toyota reliability. Now we have neither.
So your saying it’s going to unrealible before anyone’s owned one ? I think it’s better two big manufacturers joining forces there’s only 4 interchangeable parts on the whole car between the supra and z5, bmw make some fast,good handling and reliable cars so it’s not like they teamed up with Skoda! We haven’t even seen it without the camo or had the final specs and there is a GRMN version to look forward to down the line and yet it’s slagged off ,I think for some unless they started remaking the mkiv it’s never going to be good enough.

We haven’t even seen it without the camo or had the final specs and there is a GRMN version to look forward to down the line and yet it’s slagged off ,I think for some unless they started remaking the mkiv it’s never going to be good enough.

Just the last part.

People need to stop comparing it to the MKIV cause it is not. The MKIV has that legendary status not cause it was built that way, but because people built them to that status.

Out of the box the power output of the two cars will just about be the same.

Technology has to move on and so does design. There are going to be parts of the new Supra that are going to be better than the MKIV, fact!

I am still looking forward to its release since seeing it in Crawley.

So your saying it’s going to unrealible before anyone’s owned one ? I think it’s better two big manufacturers joining forces there’s only 4 interchangeable parts on the whole car between the supra and z5, bmw make some fast,good handling and reliable cars so it’s not like they teamed up with Skoda! We haven’t even seen it without the camo or had the final specs and there is a GRMN version to look forward to down the line and yet it’s slagged off ,I think for some unless they started remaking the mkiv it’s never going to be good enough.

No, I'm saying it doesn't have the Toyota running gear, so that element of the buyer confidence is gone. Considering how large a part of the Toyota brand that is, it negatively impacts the MKV value at this stage. It's one less thing to separate it from the competition.

Just the last part.

People need to stop comparing it to the MKIV cause it is not. The MKIV has that legendary status not cause it was built that way, but because people built them to that status.

Out of the box the power output of the two cars will just about be the same.

Technology has to move on and so does design. There are going to be parts of the new Supra that are going to be better than the MKIV, fact!

I am still looking forward to its release since seeing it in Crawley.

/QUOTE]

Where’s the progression?

No, I'm saying it doesn't have the Toyota running gear, so that element of the buyer confidence is gone. Considering how large a part of the Toyota brand that is, it negatively impacts the MKV value at this stage. It's one less thing to separate it from the competition.

I think times have changed, I don't look at a modern Toyota or Merc in the same way as those that were built in the 80's and 90's now. Todays cars are more about disposable motoring for the most part. People own for a few years, bin them and get something newer.

I don't hold out a massive amount of hope for the GRMN version, I think if it does come it'll be a little faster, a little lighter with some extra trim etc.. but produced in extremely limited numbers - cant see more than 25/50 coming to the UK shores if they're quoting 900 total for the default Supra for Europe!

The fact this car is co-produced with BMW doesn't bother me (perhaps as I also own a modern BMW) but its the lack of differentiation between it and the other BMW range that does. Not unique enough like the MKIV certainly was.

See, I have been driving Lexuseseses for 8 years and the Toyota reliability is still a factor for me. I've abused the hell out of every single one and they have never skipped a beat. I've seen A LOT of modern Mercs at the side of the M1/M25. You're right though, there isn't anything that really separates this from the Z4, other than being a hard top with Toyota styling. I would much rather have waited another few years for something with a Toyota powerplant and a lot more of the FT-1.

I think we're gonna have to wait until Jan 2019 when it official gets revealed at the Detroit Autoshow... then you'll know what it looks like and its official spec. Im still bugged that they're asking for deposits and the damn car is still rolling around in camo!

I know, but I'm best mates with a lad who works there - I'm there pretty regular

Do you think they’ll be any other reserves other than the 300 announced? And do you think they will last the week?

Just genuinely curious as to how quick people think these will sell

The reservation process says the first 300 are just like a guaranteed supply list or first build slots. After that you'd be asked to be on a normal waiting list. i assume units will be supplied once the 300 have been built on their build slots.