The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How long before we use our cars on track days only?

herbiemercman

Hi Guys, I just went for a quick blast on one of my local A roads, it was one which attracts local fast bikers, the road runs for 15 miles from Abbey Village to Bolton, mostly with moorland on either side,3 fatalities and 2 sheep in the past 10 years,anyway like many roads in Scotland it is now totaly screwed with the big yellow towers with the "Average Speed Cameras".

This seems to be happening all across the UK, may be the powers that be want to promote electric and driverless cars, which will never understand "Petrol Heads".

So guys i am not sure what things are like were you live, but in Lancashire we have mega congestion problems, parking problems, and when the real "driver roads" are clear we have the speed cameras, not good.

I like looking at my beast and going to the pub in it etc, but my favourit to actually let it have a blast is fading by the day. May be your area is still ok , but i cannot see it being for long?

Your Ok if you just like posing , which i have no problems with, but it is not for me, it is also getting harder to understand why car manufacturers are still selling their cars based on BHP and top speed? their argument is based on "Oh it is for overtaking safely", Oh yeh!

Sorry i am being a sad bastard but it was today i visited my favouite road with the unnecessary cameras.

What do you think? Herbie.

Track days have meant I’m not so fussed about taking a risk on normal rds. Spirited driving just doesn’t compare to touching cloth every few seconds on your favourite track - and that comes in whatever car you take doesn’t have to be silly money, the cheaper it is sometimes the more risk your willing to take which pays off

Yep its becoming track day only for booting. Yep Herb, LCC is so anti car, look at the roads, they're shocking but they can invest in average cameras. Example in Tarleton, doesnt need average on dual carriageway just block danger junction and roundabout at next solves the problem. Just proves its about making money, and the commute is even longer, particularly with the 40mph whatever the road brigade. I get angry everytime I go down there as the reason is not safety as is purported. Answer is save your juice for Oulton etc.

When the powers that be get too greedy with raking in from the cameras may be there will be a reaction like that in the USA, all be it that is a much more serious issue, electrically rotating number plates are some thing that springs to mind, i remember on the bikes we had no front number plates, but this was only effective with the "sniper vans", most of which are operated by the council now.

Most of our problems in this tiny island, IMO, is mega overpopulation, if we were to match the "elbow room" they have in most of Europe, we would have a population of circa 30Mill, not the 66Mill we have currently, it is giving us the road congestion, too much polution, full up schools, NHS full, dentists full up, over crowded property market, growing crime, however all this makes my moan about my car issue a bit trivial.

I would move to Germany but my car is RHD lol. Herbie.

Edited by herbiemercman
spelling corrections. (see edit history)

Even without the cameras we are grossly overpopulated. I can't even go out into the middle of nowhere without a bunch of old biddies in KA's getting in the way. They only time I get a clear run about is late nights on the weekend.

This and if you over take the oldies because they are 20 under the limit you get dirty looks....

I often wonder this. I live on the edge of the Peak District and spend the summer months getting up at the crack of dawn or going out for a run at sunset to get the roads mostly to myself. Snake Pass is a 50mph road now however (has been for years), Woodhead is packed with trucks with few safe overtaking spots and Cat and Fiddle is a no go due to speed cameras. Motorway average speed zones are springing up everywhere with yellow cameras at the side of the motorway that will do you even if the average speed cameras are off.

It doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility that a combination of black box tech and developments in surveillance will make high performance cars obsolete on the roads.

This is part of the reason why I spend my summers on tour with http://petrolhead.tours/. We regularly hit the Black Forest, the French, Swiss and Italian Alps, deserted country roads in and around the south of France and down into the Pyrenees. We drive like saints in any urban environment but get more opportunity to exploit our cars' performance once into the passes or quieter country roads.

Even this comes with it's difficulties. in recent years lots of copy cat driving and rally clubs have set up taking people into Europe on driving experiences and unfortunately many Brits behave like absolute bellends, driving like cocks on motorways or in heavily populated areas. The Swiss are really coming down on it which is fair enough, but now seem to be going out of their way to pick on British drivers as we are all tarred with the same brush. Six of us were stopped in Switzerland in one of the towns last year. We were just minding our own business trundling through the town (not that it's easy to be low profile in a column of performance cars and exotics!) when we were pulled in by two police cars. More police arrived and they kept us at the side of the road for hours. At first they wouldn't even let us get out of our cars and we weren't allowed the engines running, so we had to sit there baking with no aircon. They were really quite intimidating. They couldn't do us for speeding, so they breathalised us all (obviously we hadn't been drinking) and then even tried their best to poke holes in our documents and insurance which all checked out. They seemed annoyed and then one of them triumphantly noticed that we had walkie talkies in the cars. They called the local judge (on a Sunday) and found they could do us for possessing radios without a Swiss radio license, even though we had an Offcom license that was EU compliant (though the Swiss aren't part of the EU of course). After hours by the roadside they fined us 600 SFs EACH! As a result Switzerland is being boycotted and the tours are now going more into Spain and soon Eastern Europe.

In these modern times unfortunately the scope for the enthusiastic driver to have some fun on the public road is slimming rapidly. It's a shame as track days just don't float my boat in the same way as the improvisation required to carry momentum down a challenging stretch of road. Got to enjoy what we can whilst it lasts as it's only likely to get worse...

And ultimately this is the reason for my passion for older cars. A more raw driving experience in a lighter car with less nanny aids means more fun at lower speeds. My outgoing 370Z was so capable after the upgrades I made to the suspension and brakes that you had to be caning it to get the weight moving around and feel properly connected to the experience. My MR2 Turbo is much more fun and although it is quicker than the Z, you don't have to be flying along to enjoy the experience. In addition to a Supra I also fancy a DC2 Integra Type R. 200bhp and a surfeit of torque sounds like the perfect recipe for fun on British B roads at lower speeds to me.

Just got back Scotland after doing lots of driving around the Highlands and Cairngorms.. I know what you mean about the average speed cameras, placed on the faster open A roads... but alternatively I didnt see a single fixed speed camera anywhere! Didn't stop any enjoyment I had - I think the issues are down to the increasing numbers of cars on our roads and trying to reduce accidents to keep the traffic moving on roads that have had no investment for decades.

Some fantastic roads up there. We did a tour up there back in 2016. Pissed down with rain every single day unfortunately, but still had some memorable drives, especially a friends 911 going completely sideways around a tight slippery turn over a crest on the way to Kylesku! Think he needed a change of underwear and car seat after that one...

Would definitely go back to Scotland, but just got to be careful in the more populated areas and motorways on your way to the good stuff as the Scots are ridiculously keen on speeding. I frequently drive to Fife on business and every time I see speed camera vans sat on motorway bridges. ridiculous as the motorways are half empty anyway, a pure money maker. A friends wife got a ticket for doing 78mph on the motorway...

Just jump on Dragonball, Europe is our racetrack, and no speeding camera fines :D

Don't bet on it if you are going to Switzerland. They'll usually flash you with a mobile camera then pull you in just up the road and fine you. They will do you literally for doing one mile over the speed limit, they HATE speeding. Some of the guys got caught by a fixed point camera at the bottom of Sustenpass. They had just come down off the mountain still buzzing and hadn't got their speed down entering the edge of one of the towns. Camera went off but they never got a ticket and thought they had got away with it....until nearly a year later when they were hit with fines of over 1,000 SFcs as they were more than 20kms over the limit. That said the mountain passes are usually clear for some fun, just the more populated areas that you have to watch yourself.

No average speed camera's here in Ireland , general road congestion is the issue and poor road surface , I generally take the bike out more if I want to go fast , you get away with alot more with a bike here

Our only track in Ireland is not suited to the Supra , plus the surface is crap

My big concern , in not too far distant future ; petrol cars will be banned and reminiscing down the Pub or what a V8, V10 should like! Is all we will have

Like Ken, suppose Im fortunate enough to live in Lincolnshire, wheres theres miles and miles of empty roads, and nice roads too, use to go on a good evening thrash with my local car club. But my Supra will probably never see a track, Ive got a track car for that lol

Yep the UK "Dogooders" seem to be making great progress, IMO they are not objective and most of "The Powers That Be" do not drive or like a drink etc, so it's easy to see how quickly times are changing. Nicola Sturgeon in Scotland has virtually stopped all motorists from going out for an evening meal etc and having a safe moderate drink.

Even the Isle Of Man has succomed, the main attraction of unlimited speed on the mountain road has been stopped as well as a reciprocal Mainland agreement on banning drivers.

I am sad all this is happening , but glad i spent a few years enjoying sensible laws, it is not about safety,the stats do not support the case, it's about money and biggots in high office, who are not affected.

Just out of interest, how many of you would consider appreciating the current value of your treasured Supra now, prior to the word getting out, that our cars are becoming

"A Fish Out Of Water"? in the UK.

I am sad and mad about it all and feel like the thousands of young guys who drive arround without insurance because they were being screwed with no good reason, they know they cannot win, but they voted with their feet.

My every day car is a big Merc diesel, 7 seater work horse with 300 BHP, so i got another loser, roll on the bus pass. lol. Herbie.