The mkiv Supra Owners Club

JAE or not to JAE, that is the question!

Al Massey

Stay with JAE or go to Santa Pod  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Stay with JAE or go to Santa Pod

• JAE
    • Santa Pod no club tickets
    • Santa Pod and club tickets

After doing a bit of digging, it looks to me that the businesses 'JAE' has changed hands, as the old company filed an application to strike the company off the register on the 22/2/18. That would certainly explain the cryptic email for the reps meeting, and the fact that Nigel Ruggles is now acting as an advisor. I don't know yet who are the new owners, or list of directors, but I'm sure we will know soon enough.

After doing a bit of digging, it looks to me that the businesses 'JAE' has changed hands, as the old company filed an application to strike the company off the register on the 22/2/18. That would certainly explain the cryptic email for the reps meeting, and the fact that Nigel Ruggles is now acting as an advisor. I don't know yet who are the new owners, or list of directors, but I'm sure we will know soon enough.

Yeah I noticed the name JAE and Japanese Auto Extravaganza was registered to Ichiban Events Ltd in November last year as a new company.

John Fuggles obviously sold the company, hence why the mad dash for cheap tickets came about as they needed a cash injection.

I mentioned it on their page the other week but they since deleted their post.

It is something I will be bringing up at the reps meeting.

Yeah I noticed the name JAE and Japanese Auto Extravaganza was registered to Ichiban Events Ltd in November last year as a new company.

John Fuggles obviously sold the company, hence why the mad dash for cheap tickets came about as they needed a cash injection.

I mentioned it on their page the other week but they since deleted their post.

It is something I will be bringing up at the reps meeting.

Yeah Nigel just deleted my post on facebook too.

Have they said Thursday still can't be accessed for setup only? I'd expect large trade stands etc would require this like any normal show.

Meh. I'm sure there are plenty of other car events we could look at on the calendar.

Santa Pod doesn't interest me. PITA to get in and out of big events.

Have they said Thursday still can't be accessed for setup only? I'd expect large trade stands etc would require this like any normal show.

Meh. I'm sure there are plenty of other car events we could look at on the calendar.

Santa Pod doesn't interest me. PITA to get in and out of big events.

I was chatting to Al on text the other day, and neither of us can get our head around it tbh. If they keep the Thursday for purely set up day, so just club officials, then that's fine, and exactly how it was done years ago. But I thought they were saying that no access to site at all until Friday, as I thought to save money they had only secured the venue for Friday Saturday Sunday, but Al says that the place is booked for JAE for Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday, so everyone is very confused about it :/

And Santa Pod really could do with two exits.

• 4 weeks later...

So just seen a few updates from JAE via email as the Reps meet was cancelled due to the snow.

So a new layout is attached, which really doesn't make much sense in terms of size of plots or costs, and had a load of questions and answers which to be fair are utter tosh!

We were really disappointed that we were not able to present the full JAE 2018 info to you this year. Unfortunately, a Q & A email isn't going to capture all the excitement of this year's show, but you can request a chat with a member of the JAE team if you have further questions at all. Just ping an email to [email protected]

Can clubs access the site on Thursday?

YES! Clubs that have an allocated plot space will be able to arrive after 4pm on Thursday to set up a club stand space. There is a charge of £5 per Thursday pass to cover the cost of on-site medics and security for the Thursday evening. Only a limited number of passes are available. This will not be promoted on the website as we do not want the general public enquiring about access on the Thursday. Each club plot that is purchased will be sent an email asking them to confirm the number of Thursday passes required with an online invoice to allow checkout.

When can we reserve our club plot?

Club plots will go on sale at http://www.jae-show.co.uk at 7pm on Wednesday 7th March. You will be able to select the plot that you prefer and pay for it online. A sneak peek of the show layout was previously communicated - this has now been extended and will be displayed on the website. Club plots must be reserved by 17th August.

Can clubs buy tickets at a discount?

YES! Clubs reps will be sent a discount code that will give a 10% discount on purchases of 10 or more tickets. This is a fairer system than getting one ticket free for every ten purchased, as it means that those that buy 15 tickets will get the equivalent of 1.5 tickets free and so on. More info will be provided with your promo code email.

Are petrol generators allowed on site?

No they cannot be used. The venue states in the T&C’s that diesel generators are the only generators to be used. This now applies to most venues across the UK. If you do see a petrol generator being used please speak to admin or security, with information about the location. The venue offers electric hook-up as an alternative. The price is set by the venue and the JAE Team do not have any control over the cost. If you would like to have electric connected to your club stand, you are advised to purchase this online no later than the 17th August 2018. Power will be connected by 7am on Friday 31st August, which is the official opening time of the event. For further information about power arrangements, please email us or visit the website pages that give information about the power options.

Why can’t we have our music on past 10.30pm?

Due to the E of E showground being in a residential area, the venue states ‘no music outside after this time’. There are different noise restrictions set out around the venues perimeter which are regulated and monitored by the local council. If you want to party to the early hours, we have an indoor arena that will open until 2am.

Why are there only a few showers and toilets in different locations and not one big block?

There is a guideline booklet that we have to follow when putting on events. It stipulates there has to be a certain number of toilets and showers for the attendees on site, which are provided by the venue. We recommend showering out of busy times to ensure consistency of temperature.

Why do we have to use the marquee company provided by JAE?

The marquee company work closely with the showground on all events. They comply to all relevant H&S requirements and have equipment to identify the location of the underground cabling that is at the venue. Any damage to any underground services has to be repaired at a cost to JAE Show and therefore we need to take steps to avoid incidents and be confident that your marquee is erected correctly and safely.

Why aren't the security guards friendlier?

Security are employed by us to ensure the safety of everyone on site. Security will generally engage with people if they see something they are concerned about, such as an action that is likely to injure somebody or damage something on site. If security do speak with your club or members, please offer reassurances that you are taking safety matters seriously whilst on site.

Why are the fireworks so far away?

The fireworks are launched within a fallout area. Due to health and safety regulations, we cannot risk having hot material falling down on tents or buildings possibly causing potential injuries or fires.

Why can’t we rev our cars after the fireworks?

This is considered anti-social behavior by the local authorities and can be treated as such, with JAE Show being heavily penalized. Please respect the neighbours around the show ground. We encourage everybody to turn on their hazard lights during and after the fireworks.

Will there be more trade stands and why were they so spaced out previously?

This year we have moved the layout to put traders in one central area. Traders need to have assurances that attendance at JAE will be a worthwhile investment for them, so please support our traders by visiting their stands. The feedback received from traders previously is that people tend to stay on their club stands and don’t view or buy goods from them. We hope that by having the trade stands more centrally located, the event will be more attractive to traders in the future.

If you can refer a NEW trader to the show that books one of our trade packages, we will offer you a free ticket to JAE 2018. Please contact [email protected] if you would like to discuss this with us.

Where was the noodle lady, we loved her food, especially as she catered for allergies and intolerances?

Yoriko retired from her business last June which didn't allow us much time to find an alternative Japanese catering provider. We contacted several other Japanese catering companies, even going to the extent of placing an advert on the National Catering Association's website. unfortunately we received no uptake for 2017. We continue our investigations for 2018 though!

Food stands are either too expensive or not enough variety. JAE has prioritised working with 3 selected caterers since our very early days. When we moved to Newark and then Peterborough Showground, the conditions of the venue hire stipulated that only their approved caterers can attend then event. This is primarily for the showground to have assurances that their strict guidelines for food stands are being adhered to. Therefore, the JAE Team have very limited input into the catering provisions on site, except by special request (such as we previously obtained for Yoriko and others). Unlike many events, we do allow you to leave the showground and return with food and drink provisions.

Why is there no 4x4 course on site?

Last year we paid for the use of a dedicated 4x4 course which less than a dozen people took advantage of. This meant that the provision of the 4x4 course was under-utilised and a significant financial loss for the JAE Show.

Why aren't there any drift taxis at the show?

Unsurprisingly, there are lots of H&S regulations that must be followed to offer this attraction, as well as a huge clean up cost after the event. The surface must be cleaned and returned to the original state (i.e. removal of tyre marks), costing thousands in special equipment and cleaning services. We are continuing to investigate possible solutions.

- - - Updated - - -

Will there be a tannoy system to announce when and where things are?

Tannoys are great, except if you are trying to have a nap, so this year we are investigating an SMS text messaging system so that you get regular alerts about what's happening at the show.

Clubs that entered IKO didn’t turn up and we didn’t get a chance to enter against anyone else. Clubs not turning up has always been a massive issue; people become ill, forget where their meant to be or are too hungover. We are reviewing the format of the IKO so that it is a fairer for everyone that takes the time and effort to participate. Thank you to a number of clubs that have offered suggestions for new challenges, including more that involve their cars... we love these ideas and hope to include them in JAE 2018!

Can we have the time of events and map with locations. Showguides are free for everyone at JAE. They are available on the gate and in the admin office. Please come and grab some for your club stand.

Why do I have to pay a deposit for my support vehicle to drop off my items?

JAE does allow non-Japanese vehicles into the show, but we don't want our JAPANESE car show to have lots of random cars or vans on site. Therefore, we will require a deposit to be paid. Simply pay the deposit to security, who will hold the money in an envelope marked with your non-Japanese vehicle registration. When you return your vehicle back to the regular carpark within the time allocated, you will be given your deposit back.

Why can’t I park my car on the stand with a day ticket?

With the volume of cars at the show, we need to minimise unnecessary vehicle movement as much as possible. This year, we will be offering a special 'day visitor' car park within the showground, where day-ticket holders can display their vehicles up until 10pm.

What time is the show going to end on Sunday?

The show doesn’t finish until 4pm on the Sunday however we have been unable to stop people packing up and leaving early. This year we have been asked to minimise the movement on the days we are open to the public.

JAE layout.jpg

Quite frankly this new team are a massive joke.

Thursday is gone, except for club set up after 4pm.

We have to use the showground for marquees and power so getting a cheap marquee is out of the question.

Haven't been able to do a cost analysis yet as I have no idea what any of the costs are.

This time last year, I was already set with all the competitions, prizes and games.

I am not sure how well this year will go, sorry guys.

I will however still work 100% on this when more information is available.

What are all the C's? The club stands?

How come there are so many unlabelled empty blocks?

Yeah, just updated the post so people can see.

Club stands are B, C and D.

I have no idea why so many aren't labelled. there isn't a lot of space, maybe they are expecting less to turn up

Yeah, just updated the post so people can see.

Club stands are B, C and D.

I have no idea why so many aren't labelled. there isn't a lot of space, maybe they are expecting less to turn up

That's what I couldn't fathom. So much of the show ground unused.

When I had a walk around the site last year I was shocked at how empty the sight was compared to the last time we were at Peterborough, Pete will remember the place full back then. It's inevitable I suppose, times have changed, clubs have disappeared, Japanese manufacturers have stopped releasing anything interesting for many years, so ownership of older marques has dwindled due to cost of running and maintaining them, and availability of anything interesting.

I think I can see why they are pushing the club plots down the bottom end and to the right, looks to me they want create footfall past the trade stands because everyone will trek up through that way to get to the entertainment and food court.

So JAE have just released the club plots.

Completely messed it up.

Layout looks crap, sizes are all over the shop and quite a lot are sold out already.

Oh and plot prices have gone up, surprise surprise!

Just need to work out what size we should go for.

I do get the feeling that not many are going to turn up this year though :/

So JAE have just released the club plots.

Completely messed it up.

Layout looks crap, sizes are all over the shop and quite a lot are sold out already.

Oh and plot prices have gone up, surprise surprise!

Just need to work out what size we should go for.

I do get the feeling that not many are going to turn up this year though :/

Maybe need another vote of who wants to go knowing new info.