The mkiv Supra Owners Club

JAE or not to JAE, that is the question!

Al Massey

Stay with JAE or go to Santa Pod  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Stay with JAE or go to Santa Pod

• JAE
    • Santa Pod no club tickets
    • Santa Pod and club tickets

Hello guys,

Not sure how many of you have seen on Facebook yesterday or today, but JAE have made a huge f**kup announcement by dropping the Thursday from the show.

Bloody nightmare, but instead of reducing ticket prices, which they only did for 150 tickets, which are now sold out, the price will remain the same, for now.

This all may change due to the extremely vocal angry voices by many.

But at the moment, JAE tickets would be £45 for Friday 0900hrs entry through to Sunday late afternoon.

Club tickets would be around £35 - £40 for food, drink, power, marquee etc etc

To me this isn't great as Thursday was always a good set up day and chill before you all arrive and not have to do anything.

Now it would be horrible to set up, running around getting things sorted whilst you are arriving.

This isn't fair on you in my eyes.

So, it was brought to my attention that another event could be a great opportunity for us.

Santa Pod Raceway European Drag finals Thursday 6th September to Sunday 9th September.

http://www.santapod.co.uk/eurofinals.php

Now in all fairness, I wasn't excited about this until I checked the website and FU*K me sideways.

Not only is there plenty of drag racing, but there is:

Pit access

Demos and stunts from their exhibition vehicles

Stunts from Terry Grant etc

Historic Aero engines

Fireworks display

Fun Fair

Evening entertainment and bars

2 seater dragster (you have to pay extra)

Helicopter rides (you have to pay extra)

kids entertainment

traders

Bars and caterers.

So all in all, there is plenty on offer.

The price for all four days is £85!

Fri/Sat/Sun tickets is £75.

Not sure how group bookings and areas will be sorted but that is easily do able.

So the big questions are,

Do we still attend JAE, as I know many of us loved the show, or do we change and go for the Santa Pod weekend?

This poll and thread is not the definitive answer, it is to get an idea of what you would like to do.

Any comment is valid in this thread.

Also I would like you opinion on what you would like the club to offer, as with JAE we had a fund from the club, and we sold club tickets to cover more things, so with the increase in tickets at Santa Pod, would you be willing to pay for club tickets to pay for our luxuries we are accustomed too.

JAE for me, I’ve been to Santa pod European finals for a few years now and although I absolutely love it and try to attended as often as possible, there is a major setback. They cannot allow drag racing to commence in the rain, whether that be a little drizzle or shower, up to heavy rain. It simply cannot happen due to health and safety reasons which is totally understandable. But then they have to dry the track and re-prep it, which can take up to two hours. Also you have to allow for oil spillages, crashes, timing beams being taken out etc etc. Which soon can get annoying if it happens a lot. Although there is other things to do, watch the live action arena, have a look around the pits, show cars, helicopter flights etc etc.

But where as at JAE you don’t have any of those problems and the event can be run in the rain, you can play the PlayStation, chat in the marquee, eat loads of cakes! :D.

So for me personally I’d prefer JAE as I love the event as a whole, and I think it would be a shame for us to stop attending. It’s a shame really because JAE have shot thereselves in the foot and annoyed a lot of customers which isn’t good business!

Edited by Chris Bailey (see edit history)

I like pod and club presence has been terrible there for the last few years, so it would be nice to have a good club stand and camping there for a change. Not sure we if we need big marquee, as there is more facilities at pod anyway although it would be nice to set up the kitchen tent for breakfast and bbq.

I like pod and club presence has been terrible there for the last few years, so it would be nice to have a good club stand and camping there for a change. Not sure we if we need big marquee, as there is more facilities at pod anyway although it would be nice to set up the kitchen tent for breakfast and bbq.

Yeah that was my thinking ref the clubs funds and club tickets.

We could have a smaller marquee for our personal entertainment, beer fridges etc with power and have the kitchen with plenty of food like we do at JAE, or do something completely different.

The only downside is the cost of the event compared to JAE, its nearly double for what some members really hate to do "camping in a field"

So would be good to see the responses to "camping in a field" for £45 or "camping in a field" for £85

JAE for me, I’ve been to Santa pod European finals for a few years now and although I absolutely love it and try to attended as often as possible, there is a major setback. They cannot allow drag racing to commence in the rain, whether that be a little drizzle or shower, up to heavy rain. It simply cannot happen due to health and safety reasons which is totally understandable. But then they have to dry the track and re-prep it, which can take up to two hours. Also you have to allow for oil spillages, crashes, timing beams being taken out etc etc. Which soon can get annoying if it happens a lot. Although there is other things to do, watch the live action arena, have a look around the pits, show cars, helicopter flights etc etc.

But where as at JAE you don’t have any of those problems and the event can be run in the rain, you can play the PlayStation, chat in the marquee, eat loads of cakes! :D.

So for me personally I’d prefer JAE as I love the event as a whole, and I think it would be a shame for us to stop attending. It’s a shame really because JAE have shot thereselves in the foot and annoyed a lot of customers which isn’t good business!

Yeah that would suck, but if we were to do this as an event like we do JAE, we would have entertainment as well as the shows entertainment.

Me personally wont be sitting at the strip for hours on end watching all the cars, but I would go visit it a few times and with all the other entertainment on offer it does have great appeal.

It just depends on what the members would like to do more as I highly doubt we can do both.

But you do get a lot for your £85 at Santa pod, it’s incredibly cheap for what it is. As the director said at Santa pod, you couldn’t go to F1 at Silverstone for £85 for the weekend! Also worth noting though, grandstand tickets are extra at Santa pod and ideally need pre-booking to get the best seats. Although they can be purchased on the day which I think is £15 each seat for the day. Saturday and Sunday offer the best racing as it’s eliminations. Thursday/Friday is testing I believe, but it’s good racing whatever day it is as long as the weather behaves.

Chris is spot on and I must admit camping at the pod can be dire if weather is wet and windy so it's JAE for me

I normally would do it all as I'm sure your aware

But money is tight and I need to look carefully at all events

If I have a day off its also no income, joys of self employed

Events where mandy can, will come, will always come first

Jae has imo made a big fuck up

John fugles I'm sure is cringing as he no longer is involved and would prob have not had this happen

Maybe the reason he not involved now?

Ok, so I would say I have my hands full next month at the reps meet but it would appear that there are many of us that do not agree with JAE dropping Thursday.

So I will see what can be done and will keep on at them to sort their lives out!

Happy to join you at the reps meet if based in Peterborough. [emoji106]