The mkiv Supra Owners Club

'02 Supra Project : 2JZ-GTE VVTI, BC STAGE 2 cams, BW64mm, SYVECS S7, V161, TE37SL (soon) ...

WayneW

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long time no news from me :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=228861&stc=1&d=1535118318

Can't drive any longer with the n/a power... :taped: that's the reason I'm atm looking at a low mileage VVTI Aristo on auctions to swap it's engine :D

Time is missing from my side, still have the OSGIKEN LSD to put into the car...

I found a few hours though to put my refurbished big brakes kit, really happy with the look of it, fit veeery close the wheels without any spacers :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=228862&stc=1&d=1535118318

attachment.php?attachmentid=228863&stc=1&d=1535118318

Oh and I sold my altezza, great surprise to see him coming in a GRMN Yaris!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=228864&stc=1&d=1535118318

attachment.php?attachmentid=228865&stc=1&d=1535118318

IMG_20180729_170552 - Copie.jpg

IMG_20180727_154838 - Copie.jpg

IMG_20180727_164820 - Copie.jpg

IMG_20180813_193708 - Copie.jpg

IMG_20180813_193641 - Copie.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Let the strip begin !

IMG_20181213_233623 - Copie.jpg

Engine shows some signs of age, still well sealed though as there is not a lot of oil leaks... :)

Coilpacks have to be changed, one of them has melt under some too high temperature contact... No matter has Lee advice to put new sets before putting the Syvecs ECU.

Engine out, quite a quick job !

attachment.php?attachmentid=230258&stc=1&d=1545226218

But i will do some little mods to get the engine even quicker out of the car with removing the front subframe... quick fittings, etc. ... and avoiding to scratch the body because it will be 1B9 painted in the future.

I will think about this in the next weeks !

Some more agressive cams with a complet head refresh job will be done if everything goes as planned too.

Street setup 600+hp would be awesome :sly:

Next : stripping the rest of the aristo and begining the more interesting job :D

IMG_20181218_234257 - Copie.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Some news about my project :)

Engine stripping in progress :

attachment.php?attachmentid=230508&stc=1&d=1547811201

I just received a nice package from the states :

attachment.php?attachmentid=230510&stc=1&d=1547811201

- FLUIDAMPR pulley,

- APR head studs,

- Brian Crower STAGE 2 cams.

My turbo kit will be removed out of the donor engine soon : (turbo kit has less than 3000km, 1 year old, ...)

attachment.php?attachmentid=230509&stc=1&d=1547811201

- Borg Warner s300sx,

- Whifbitz billet manifold,

- 2x external wastegates,

And the very last but the most important :

I just bought at Lee the very new SYVECS S7 unit with everything needed to make some nice figures !!

Aim is 650+ hp, lot of low rpm torque but for this to be able, I need to find funds for an other gearbox... R154 or the T56 if business is good...

W&S

IMG_20190116_163411 - Copie2.jpg

IMG_20190117_001941 - Copie.jpg

IMG_20190118_120753 - Copie2.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Nice suup Wayne!

Still looking for the JDM rear brake kit?

I have the calipers, good as new OEM discs and brembo pads for you in The Netherlands. PM me you email/phone# so I can send you some more info and pictures. I cant use the messenger it seems.

It drives very well, I'm Supra happy with it !!

I bought a v161, purchased a Competition Clutch dual discs, will install this everything during the winter.

Should I upgrade to bigger injectors ? 

What about reliability with 2.0b boost and more than 700bhp/Nm on stock engine ?

I already have done more than 3k km without any problem...

I'm hesitating... maybe next year i do the trip with the Supra to SRD for this upgrade...

2020-10_unbenannt_65969.jpg

2020-10_unbenannt_65874.jpg

2020-10_unbenannt_65913.jpg

• WayneW changed the title to '02 Supra Project : 2JZ-GTE VVTI, BC STAGE 2 cams, BW64mm, SYVECS S7, V161, TE37SL (soon) ...
35 minutes ago, WayneW said:

What your thoughts about bigger injectors mate ? 😃

Reliability on a stock engine is always a bit of a coin toss, but considering you rebuilt it recently then it should be fine with more boost. 

I think with 2 bar your turbo should do somewhere between 550-600whp with ~700-750nm of torque. On paper these numbers are safe enough for a stock engine to be reliable for a while if used on a road car. 

The problem you might experience with running 2 Bar is intake temperature & resistance to detonation.

2 Bar will get things hot quickly and cylinder pressure will be higher, so might be easier to detonate normal fuel. Dyno testing will reveal if running less boost and more timing gives healthier power, rather than lots of boost but reduced timing to counter any detonation. Hard to say what it will do ahead of time. 

How you drive you car will also add or reduce reliability. Doing the odd pull at 2 Bar will be fine for the engine. But if you beat the shit out the car everytime you use it, then more boost will increase chance of something wearing out or breaking. 

I'm usually of the opinion to go for the safe maximum limit and see what happens lol. 

1 minute ago, Mike2JZ said:

Reliability on a stock engine is always a bit of a coin toss, but considering you rebuilt it recently then it should be fine with more boost. 

I think with 2 bar your turbo should do somewhere between 550-600whp with ~700-750nm of torque. On paper these numbers are safe enough for a stock engine to be reliable for a while if used on a road car. 

The problem you might experience with running 2 Bar is intake temperature & resistance to detonation.

2 Bar will get things hot quickly and cylinder pressure will be higher, so might be easier to detonate normal fuel. Dyno testing will reveal if running less boost and more timing gives healthier power, rather than lots of boost but reduced timing to counter any detonation. Hard to say what it will do ahead of time. 

How you drive you car will also add or reduce reliability. Doing the odd pull at 2 Bar will be fine for the engine. But if you beat the shit out the car everytime you use it, then more boost will increase chance of something wearing out or breaking. 

I'm usually of the opinion to go for the safe maximum limit and see what happens lol. 

Hehe ok I see.

But the question is, will I see some differences with  0.5 or 0.7b more ?

I now already have no grip (should be better with the 19" 275 wheels)...

Maybe better to stay like this with the stock engine and building myself smth wild with forged parts...

I should maybe ask Lee for a quotation for forged pistons/rods/pins/crankshaft 🤔

9 minutes ago, WayneW said:

Hehe ok I see.

But the question is, will I see some differences with  0.5 or 0.7b more ?

I now already have no grip (should be better with the 19" 275 wheels)...

Maybe better to stay like this with the stock engine and building myself smth wild with forged parts...

I should maybe ask Lee for a quotation for forged pistons/rods/pins/crankshaft 🤔

You should expect a good increase in power & torque assuming the turbo is still able to pump air effiecietly at those boost levels and there are no restrictions on intake/exhaust. Again, hard to say ahead of time exactly what to expect from your turbo. I don't have any other dyno data with your exact model of turbo, but we have seen smaller borg warners run out of effiency after 1.5 Bar of boost before, so its possible that could happen. 

19's are usually worse for grip. Are you still running a 4.1 ratio diff? That won't be helping your traction issues. You will want to change that diff ratio if you are going to a 6 speed box otherwise gears will be very short.

What tyres are you running? Normally around the 600whp range its usually worthwhile to start running a semi slick of some sort. Normal road "sport" tyres usually never grip with a big single coming on boost. Sticky compound is more effective than a large tyre width for grip. 

Personally on your turbo I wouldn't bother forging the engine if everything seems to be healthy on it.