Rear sub frame swap - off for galvanzing, may turn into a project thread

rider

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Going to probably have to remove the zinc from the diff mount bushes cylinders as they are very tight to press in in my experience, just wondering how thick roughly the coating has come out?

Typically, the coating will be 0.04mm so it'll reduce the diameter by under 0.1mm which hopefully won't make tight too tight.

Front big round bushes (sorry for terrible description). I don't imagine they are genuine given they have been dipped in numerous acids and then galvanized.

They are solid which to be honest I'm a bit miffed about as I wasn't made aware it was a modified frame when I purchased it and never having seen one before except the one fitted to my car I never clocked the solid front mounts. I have wondered what to do with those front mounts as all the other bushes are going to be the rubber OE variety. The thought of transmission noise makes me want to tackle the welds holding these solid bushes onto the frame with a thin cutting disc but then there is the concern I could end up with a very uneven surface for the new bush.

Any thought on leave alone or go for it because the noise will be unbearable (sods law, one 1cm weld is inaccessible to a cutting disc)?

Edited by rider (see edit history)

My gut feeling is that they will transmit a terrible amount of noise and vibration. OK for a track car, but terrible for a road car. I'd personally get them out.

I doubt any damage done in removing them would render it impossible to reinstall stock bushes.

My gut feeling is that they will transmit a terrible amount of noise and vibration. OK for a track car, but terrible for a road car. I'd personally get them out.

I doubt any damage done in removing them would render it impossible to reinstall stock bushes.

Agreed. Solid welded mounts will be horrendous for road daily use. Should of cut them out before dipping really.

All I've read on this thread is poor quality this, miffed about that etc etc. If you had an issue with the Subframe you should have informed me before stripping it to bits (Same goes for Mark with the tank cover). Agree on yours and Marks comments the quality of the work on the shell these were from was shockingly bad and I think few people have learned lessons from it.

Ive run solid front bushes on my track car with the Strongflex rear bushes and I can't say I noticed much difference over stock. I think all 4 bushes being the solid variety would be horrific but as long as there is some flex it should be fine.

Running solid bushes *AND* flexible bushes will put HUGE loads into the solid bush mounting area as they are effectively doing all the work. Same with solid engine mounts and flexible gearbox mounts. all solid or all flexible. Post a decent photo of how the solid bushes are welded in. If you can't get `em out easily I would run solid ones on the other two pick up points and leave flexible diff bushes in. It shouldn't be much harsher and noisier like that.

Links to a couple of pictures of the solid bushing. One thing I'm a little concerned about trying to cut the mounts out of the frame is that it appears as though it has a spacer ring as well as the solid mount welded to the frame. Maybe it needs a professional metal shop to tackle this job?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/leulzynagipcdxc/20170704_132322.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bezuso9yxad600/20170704_132225.jpg?dl=0

You'd probably get `em out with a small angle grinder, a thin(ish) disc and a lot of patience. The steel outer sleeves of the OE rubber bushes are a VERY tight press fit, it the top of the seating area is left a bit ropey it won't really matter other than aesthetically. Make sure you can still get the OE ones first though.... ;) Why whoever did them didn't make them in alloy and a press fit I don't know, would have been lighter, and much easier to revert back. Have fun, I can feel the numb fingers and the back ache already :) Good safety goggles a shattering grinder disc has a lot of inertia, but I am sure I am "teaching granny to suck an egg" there, no offence meant.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

Solid bushes out and sleeve cleaned up. They came out a lot easier than expected.

Did a 1K etch prime coat followed by two coats of Simoniz Underguard. That's strange paint as it froths up when applied. Presumably to give it a deliberately crinkly type of finish. Supposed to be impact resistant paint so every crinkle counts.

20170706_114332_resized.jpg20170706_131232_resized.jpg

Next update will be beginning of September when I will try manfully to get all the new bushes (some just ordered) mated with the frame.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

That's ok, mines at about £2.5K without the diff lol

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170706/d5f4ffa906e805c7f85b363f71c31437.jpg

[ATTACH]220185[/ATTACH]

Spot the 2K paint job, that's an unfair comparison to frothy impact resistant Underguard.

I have thought about getting new arms but I'm going bide my time on that and look over the ones on the car first when they are off before going down that expensive path. I have options there as the replacement frame came with all the arms and hubs but the bushes, ball joints and dust covers on those aren't fantastic. It was all supposed to be off a low mileage import car but they must have been hard miles. But I'll have two sets to look at with the option of picking the best from two used or going for new. Decisions don't come easy or cheap. I just know if I elect to go new I'd just have to buy all new for the front end at the same time ready for when that is done. That'd get to be lots of money with new rods, arms and bushes.

Spot the 2K paint job, that's an unfair comparison to frothy impact resistant Underguard.

I have thought about getting new arms but I'm going bide my time on that and look over the ones on the car first when they are off before going down that expensive path. I have options there as the replacement frame came with all the arms and hubs but the bushes, ball joints and dust covers on those aren't fantastic. It was all supposed to be off a low mileage import car but they must have been hard miles. But I'll have two sets to look at with the option of picking the best from two used or going for new. Decisions don't come easy or cheap. I just know if I elect to go new I'd just have to buy all new for the front end at the same time ready for when that is done. That'd get to be lots of money with new rods, arms and bushes.

I wasn't on about the paint :)

I decided on full new arms and bushes because the ones on my car were getting bad and couldn't adjust them all anymore so was making it a very harsh ride.

Plus I knew that the arms are good for 20 odd years so thought why not while I had the cash.