The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Club Insurer?

Ric

So i've just had my renewal through from Sky for my agreed value.

Last years premium was around £550 for an agreed value premium (i found no mention of agreed value in the renewal)

This year they want to charge me £700 including a £60 "fee" ? what is going on here? why is the club insurer so out of touch with prices? i cannot believe the hike in price.

So i called another company. They can offer me an Agreed value policy which is actually certificated as such with a higher agreed value and better terms and European cover.

The cost? £256

What is our "club" insurer playing at?

And before anybody asks if i've rung sky etc, No. I don't believe in offering a company a chance to lower my premium by such an amount (not that they would) i believe they should offer the best price first.

Bit of a ranty thread i know but i was slightly miffed after years of loyalty.

Same old same old with Sky, piss poor for the club insurer imo, no better than any other broker

It doesn't seem to pay to be a loyal customer with anyone these days

Cancel Sky TV subscription 4 days later offered 60% discount if i stay

Cancel AA recovery and on the same call i'm offered a similar discount

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

New policy is with Footman James.

They might be able to under cut although I can't see them reducing their policy by 400+ and even if they did I think I'd decline. If you can do deals at that price you should offer it the first time.

The renewal also had a "blackmail" if you renew quickly we will take £30 off our fee. No thanks

I rate Footman James highly. Had a kit car insured with them for quite a few years for cheap as chips.

So they do modified cars as well then? I need to get a better deal on mine next time around.

Mine was under their classic car policy. She had to check my list of modifications carefully as I think they only insure a certain amount or to a certain degree.

But what I have on my car was able to be covered.

I've actually just renewed with sky, today in fact.

My renewal price was £730, with agreed value, and every mod declared and listed.

I felt that price was extortionate, so rung around a few other places. Got a quote from aplan for £540, and sky matched it.

I was going to consider leaving sky, but for some reason I feel comfortable with them, and the girl I spoke to was a serious petrol head, who knew all about modified cars, and their respective values.

All the other companies I spoke to, I felt was just a spotty teenager on the other end, who had no idea what I required!

If you don't mind me asking, what model Supra do you have and what agreed value? I've had such long arguments with FJ about the agreed value I've given up for this year. Agreed value is now what i paid for the car (but not what it would cost now to buy another).

JM imports valuation of the car counts for nought as they imported it so somehow are not impartial...?

Guy on the phone wouldn't discuss values at all, just that they couldn't accept my figure. Will not be using them again out of principal.

I must say i have always found sky insurance stupidly out of touch on prices for me. At the end of the day not the only ones and not the end of the world.

However what does tick me off about SKY is i have always seemed to get through to the same two men and to be honest i have always found them very rude, blunt and not giving too hoots. Very poor for a club sponsor.

Just my experience with them.

Renewing with Lancaster again this year same price as last year at £200 with agreed value but I don't expect it to drop much anymore with it being so low now. I was with sky insured by markerstudy but the renewal price went up even after negotiation I then found Lancaster and got insured with marker study via them for a third of the price !! You couldn't make this stuff up :rolleyes:

So just out of curiosity, as Sky are a club sponsor and people expect them to be better/cheaper.

Does that also mean you expect SRD, Whiffbits etc to be cheaper for club members than non club members?

Surely it's just a case of specific advertising of their services.

Also Sky insurance donated £200 to the club beer fund at JAE last year and have done for many years.

I was going to consider leaving sky, but for some reason I feel comfortable with them, and the girl I spoke to was a serious petrol head, who knew all about modified cars, and their respective values.

/QUOTE]

Did you get her name?

So just out of curiosity, as Sky are a club sponsor and people expect them to be better/cheaper.

Does that also mean you expect SRD, Whiffbits etc to be cheaper for club members than non club members?

Surely it's just a case of specific advertising of their services.

Also Sky insurance donated £200 to the club beer fund at JAE last year and have done for many years.

I think it is more the inconsistencies with Sky that is the issue Club Members are having. Reading through the various threads on here not one of Sky's representatives sing from the same hymn sheet as the others. It appears to be luck of the draw with who you deal with.

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Edit. (see edit history)

I think it is more the inconsistencies with Sky that is the issue Club Members are having. .

I think we all need to remember that Sky are not an true insurance company. They are either a broker or a coverholder. I'm hoping a broker because it usually means that they will actually look around the market a bit more rather than be tied to one insurer.

Sky's ability to offer deals and prices will depend on the insurers behind them. If the insurers won't play ball (or tighten up on what sky can write if they are a cover holder) then Sky can't do anything about it.

So if they can swipe off huge chunks then basically they're ripping you/us off in the first place

It might be that Sky can't get the insurer to reduce their rate unless a competitors rate is cheaper. If the competitor is willing to write then the insurer reduces rates to compete. It's simply the rules they have to underwrite by.

Edited by marbleapple (see edit history)

It might be that Sky can't get the insurer to reduce their rate unless a competitors rate is cheaper. If the competitor is willing to write then the insurer reduces rates to compete. It's simply the rules they have to underwrite by.

Taken from Mk4Gaz's post

"My renewal price was £730, with agreed value, and every mod declared and listed.

I felt that price was extortionate, so rung around a few other places. Got a quote from aplan for £540, and sky matched it."

Hi all,

Firstly, apologies to Ric that we were uncompetitive on this occasion. Moving to a classic car policy can often account for a drastic drop in premium. Just make sure your NCB is also accounted for, as most classic car policies don't use it and it will expire after 2 years. In terms of the fee that you mention, that's just a method for insurers/brokers to earn money. We disclose it in the cost so you can see where your money's going. I hope that doesn't patronising, I'm just keeping it straightforward.

For those who are unhappy, we have consistently offered, and we continue to offer, assistance via this forum and PM. I login on a daily basis but thankfully, rarely receive a message from a disgruntled customer. If any members have an issue, we're here to help.

Also, we are in fact insuring a large amount of Supra's at the moment, likely due to their increased demand and value resurgence. On that note, I would like to encourage those who've called us, or taken a policy with us, to take the time to post some feedback.

Also, don't forget that premiums aren't going down, (I know this feels like a recurring theme) and the government is charging you more tax on your premiums. I appreciate this isn't the fault of your typical claim free Supra driver, but it is the reality of the situation. I'm sure you've all seen the various news articles about this.

Again, if I can help at all. Feel free to drop me a PM.

Cheers,

Alex

Edited by SkyInsurance (see edit history)

We are indeed a broker, and the point you make here rings true. If a customer obtains a like-for-like policy at a lower premium, then logically we will want to match it. We will seldom knock off a large percentage as sometimes it's just not feasible, and doesn't do much to instill faith in the customer re our rating.

Despite being the club insurer, we can't and have never promised to be the most competitive option for every club member. We certainly aim to try our best, and our schemes will comfortably suit most of you.

Cheers,

Alex

Edited by SkyInsurance (see edit history)

Why didn't sky offer me a classic premium in the past? if that can drastically reduce a premium and still offer me good cover with agreed value? Aren't you suppose to offer us the best cover for us? or the best profit for you?

If you could do Gaz a policy at £540 why didn't you do that in the first place and perhaps match lower if he found one? Why did you chance your arm at £730 initially? a full £190 more expensive.

The fact that mine is a classic policy and i don't accrue no claims? So what? even with this they were £444 less than you with more agreed value and an actual certificate showing that. With sky i had nothing but the word of the telephone person that it was actually agreed value.

This is a weekend car as I'm sure the supra is for a lot of people. I don't need no claims raising on this car i need that on my daily drive.

Edited by Ric (see edit history)

If you don't mind me asking, what model Supra do you have and what agreed value? I've had such long arguments with FJ about the agreed value I've given up for this year. Agreed value is now what i paid for the car (but not what it would cost now to buy another).

JM imports valuation of the car counts for nought as they imported it so somehow are not impartial...?

Guy on the phone wouldn't discuss values at all, just that they couldn't accept my figure. Will not be using them again out of principal.

I have a 94 TT aerotop GZ with receipts for all my modifications you can view some pics in my build thread on the signature below, FJ agreed my agreed value at £23,000 which i think is still undervalue but i didn't want to push it.