The mkiv Supra Owners Club

JasonR's 1996 Twin Turbo VVTI 6 Speed

JasonR24

Just some more updates from Lee and embarrassingly things I should have checked:

imageimage

The last garage had made up a decat pipe which turns out doesn't fit to the correct location and is sitting on the gearbox mount....

On a good note I should be picking up the radiator and a few other bits from Abz this week!

Edited by JasonR24 (see edit history)

Your also missing the heat sheild that goes above the exhaust pipe.

It deflects or sheilds heat from causing deterioration of the rubber propshaft donut coupling.

You see the 4 x fixing points, that's the 4 corners the heat sheild is supposed to be attached too.

;)

Your also missing the heat sheild that goes above the exhaust pipe.

It deflects or sheilds heat from causing deterioration of the rubber propshaft donut coupling.

You see the 4 x fixing points, that's the 4 corners the heat sheild is supposed to be attached too.

;)

Oh wow cheers for letting me know that I had no idea.

If anyone has one of these I'll take it :)

Another update from Lee, really gutting to see the car like this...

Wiring is a mess:

IMG_1646.JPG

IMG_1647.jpg

This is from the speed delimiter and fcd in and under the glovebox....

Next again are the turbos and some more shots of the damage:

IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1651.JPG

IMG_1649.JPG

IMG_1653.JPG

IMG_1650.JPG

Looks like something has been left in the intake side and just smashed through the turbos...

Next is the most shocking error and that's this:

IMG_1648.jpg

That is most the blue roll that lee could remove from the inter cooler on the turbo side.... lots of blue roll blocking the air flow. Even now the boost isnt running right, the intercooler probably still has loads of the stuff stuck deeper in it. Looks like I'll need a new intercooler....

Edited by JasonR24 (see edit history)

That's a real shocker indeed.

Trust no one, and always do the work yourself.

These things even if you think you can't do them, can always be learnt as it's not rocket science.

I certainly hope you don't get raped for how much it's going to cost you to fix it.

Sorry to see the things that Lee has come across. This is the main reason that myself and my brother do all the work on the 3 supra's we have in the family, so hard to trust the workmanship.

It's in good hands now with SRD, hopefully now you can not worry and enjoy the car when you get it back.

Intercooler after pulling loads out: http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161021/f7acc6c99441bead3385b0d177ae7462.jpg

On the bright side, under trays look epic:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161021/6258077c777350fdf40164c78b94ec1f.jpg

I'll keep updating as things get sorted. Finding the love for the supra again thanks to Lee and SRD. By far the best customer service I've ever had.

Is the intercooler not savable or do you think you'll just replace just to be on the safe side?

Another update from Lee.

I've decided while it's at SRD to get some other bits done. I'm sending over the radiator, fog light pcb, Thor speed delimiter and speed Convertor to get everything sorted properly.

I've asked lee to paint the tired looking engine parts as well so should look much better once it's done.

imageimage

Inside of the cam covers looking dirty so lee has cleaned them up and painted them.

imageimageimageimage

Looking much fresher! Can't wait to pick the car up when it's done. Getting the love back massively now. Car is getting treated how it should have done originally :)

Crackle black engine.

Will think about the rest at a later date. I'd like to get an aftermarket intake done too. Turbo side might have to wait!

Oh and lee kindly fitted a heat shield

The car is looking better everyday.

Few bits went to lee today so hopefully they are in working order.

• 4 weeks later...

Another update. Lee told me that the brake calipers on the fronts has split seals so decided to get a refurb with Chris Wilson stainless pistons while they were all out, new lick of paint as well so looking great.

imageimage

Lee said that the car was missing an efi fuse and relay which is usually forgotten when doing a NATT conversion and now luckily it's all sorted l:

imageimageimageimage

Glovebox is still not too great but tidier than it was. In the future I'll ditch the HKS speed delimiter and get an all in one digital Convertor from Lee. Not a huge priority though. Quite like it all it KM. Very JDM lol

So today I went and got the car and it looked great. Everything was back to OEM and the radiator looked great under the bonnet. Im loving the crackle black and will get the whole engine bay done the in the future. With some shiny bits to set it apart.

I have to say thanks to Lee and SRD again for really bringing my love back for the car. It drives absolutely brilliantly. Also thanks to JamieP for his old turbos and Chris Wilson for quickly making the stainless pistons. Overall really makes me proud to own the car and be a member of this club.

I managed to get a video going through dartford tunnel as I know everyone loves those :D

https://vimeo.com/192187741

Just need to get a restrictor ring as it was boosting to nearly 1.3 bar tonight, so I let off early on any pulls and also a decent car cover for over winter in the garage. Any recommendations would be great!

Looking good Jason, glad it's coming to where you want it :)

May I ask if the turbos have been fixed? If not what are your plans?

Hi mate just seen this!

The units on there at the moment are stock units off JamiePs engine and are working great. The old broken hybrids I have, I'll bring them over to Damien's to have a look at. I'm going to stay BPU and enjoy the car. It's brilliant at the moment and I'm really happy with how it drives.

Great to hear it's all working properly now :)

Thinnk I have a spare VVTi plenum still if you need a spare for modifying/painting etc. I got the ridge on the top of mine cut off, and then got it powdercoated in sating black. Looks much better than stock, and much cheaper than buying an aftermarket plenum.

throttleadapt.jpg

(ignore the red lines near the throttle, was a pic I did a while ago to show someone my throttle adaptor)