The mkiv Supra Owners Club

JasonR's 1996 Twin Turbo VVTI 6 Speed

JasonR24

So me and my dad went out today to sort the front number plate out and that turned into a bit of a pain!

Just in case anyone hasn't read it yet me and Abz broke it swapping off the old private plate on it when I picked it up. Tbh the bolts were old and not holding tight anyway.

First off it looked like this:

imageimage

We then taped up the area and drilled a pilot hole. I'd bought an extractor set to get the snapped bolt out. Which worked but sheared the bolt again! So we had to repeat the process! And by we I mean my dad because I was too much of a wuss to go near my front bumper with a drill lol both of the holes had to be re taped to clean them out and to removed the rest of the screw thread stuck in there.

imageimageimage

I then gave it a good clean and used cutting compound on the area to get the dirt off and then gave it a polish. Which meant it looked like this:

The fitted holder above sits perfectly. Although as my dad noticed that's not a full holder it's been cut by someone previously (Abz) ;) probably for his custom plate!

Then it was on to the HID which looked this this:

tbh I hate them anyway, can't stand bright lights blinding other road users or me for that matter when there's no need for it. Plus one side was broken and id narrowed it down to either the ballast or the power pack but didn't want to buy new HIDs so bought some of these:

Which were more than good enough.

One thing I need some help on though is the front fogs don't work and the side lights only come on in the indicator area the actual lights on the left in this picture don't work:

The dipped beams and full beams work fine. I'm going to sort a rear fog with one of hecklers PCBs that I've got. Just need to get the side lights and front fogs working.

These cables are unplugged (apart from the middle one which was the dipped beam and is sorted now)

Edited by JasonR24 (see edit history)

Gave the car a good wash and wax/polish on the weekend which it needed! Looks great now.

imageimageimageimage

A mark we noticed on the wing was also treated with rust treatment. I'll be getting that touched up by the body shop.

Found a few old bits lying about and wasn't sure whether they were worth fitting:

Ones for the footrest and the other is blue wheel nuts but I don't think they would go with the white plus my wheels have nice carbon caps in the centre covering the nuts so doubt I'll use them

imageimage

Congrats on the purchase. Nice to see you have a well looked after supra after your nightmare with the RSP shell.

Looks lovely. Remember this car popping flames on the dyno a while back. :)

Cheers guys. Yea the nightmare with the RSP shell was because of my trusting nature and the fact I just got screwed over... I am wondering how Steve and Daryl are doing with her because she's in good hands.

I look forward to BPU and sticking it on the dyno again :)

It's funny because that RSP project is why I'm back in a Supra. It was (at the time) worth a cheeky punt to see if I could get it back to life, but when it didn't happen, I had already made my mind up I was getting another. Really hope Steve is somewhere near to finishing it. :)

IIRC, your car put out solid figures for stock with FMIC. :thumbs:

One thing I need some help on though is the front fogs don't work and the side lights only come on in the indicator area the actual lights on the left in this picture don't work:

Sorry if this is completely obvious but you are turning the front fog stalk on with the other headlights on at the same time?

The side light issue would seem to be that you have UK lights on a facelift so currently only the in headlight side lights are rigged up to illuminate. I'm no auto electrician but getting the regular facelifts to light up too can't I'd of thought be that hard

• 2 months later...

Just a little update. Had the car in the body shop this week getting the sills perfectly straight and coated which looks spot on now and the car is pretty much rust free! Well that's where I hope it to be in the end :D

Also got the sills/door shuts resprayed to get rid of the usual rust and had the carbon fibre covers put on and I must say it looks stunning!

I don't have many pictures yet as the weather has been terrible but here's one of them on:

I had all the little dinks and chips sorted as well and have to say the car is looking great. I'll get the bonnet resprayed at some point.

Next on the list is getting ready for BPU!

Edited by JasonR24 (see edit history)

CONGRATS JASON!

Didn't know you were back in a Supra bud. Hope to see you around Cambridge in the Spring

Yea finally! Got a lovely example as well, I think I'll be happy at BPU for a while. I look forward to seeing you about as well mate. I have moved further away from cambridge now though but we will have to arrange a meet or something! How's your car coming along?

Great car bought from a greater man.

Yea it is a brilliant car and I intend on keeping it that way :D as well as making it better ;)

Abz is a great guy and a real gent, so you're right to sing his praises.

Yea finally! Got a lovely example as well, I think I'll be happy at BPU for a while. I look forward to seeing you about as well mate. I have moved further away from cambridge now though but we will have to arrange a meet or something! How's your car coming along?

Not a problem mate on distance, we will surely meet up. And my car is coming along really well, need to get a few more small thing to get her perfect and then i will unveil her.

Just seen this so pleased you back in a supra buddy. Have to meet up soon as be really good to see you

Yea definitely mate! I'll get the supra out when the weather is a bit better [emoji16] I'm definitely going to the national meet in July, maybe we could sort something out before then?

Yea definitely mate! I'll get the supra out when the weather is a bit better [emoji16] I'm definitely going to the national meet in July, maybe we could sort something out before then?

Yea 100% sort something out before, I also going to the July meet just booked room and my supra going away next week as moving into new house and have garage so need to sort her bodywork out get her looking sweet again

• 3 months later...

Just thought I'd update this as its been a while. Ive got all the parts ready to go BPU and will be dropping the car off this week some time I hope. I'm also getting a few other issues like the brake judder at high speed sorted.

The problem I'm worried about it 2 weeks ago I took the car out for a road trip over the weekend. I checked the car over and it was fine, all fluids good. I came back and put the car in the garage and didn't check it till this weekend when I noticed a small puddle of oil on the floor so I took the car to get it on a ramp and find out what's up. The mechanic (just a local tyre place) said it looks like it's coming from the sump.

My question is do the gaskets usually go on these engines? As I'm pretty sure that's not common. The sump looks fine apart from the leak...

Any advice would be great as I'm sure it's going to cost a fair bit to get sorted whatever happens.

Just thought I'd update this as its been a while. Ive got all the parts ready to go BPU and will be dropping the car off this week some time I hope. I'm also getting a few other issues like the brake judder at high speed sorted.

The problem I'm worried about it 2 weeks ago I took the car out for a road trip over the weekend. I checked the car over and it was fine, all fluids good. I came back and put the car in the garage and didn't check it till this weekend when I noticed a small puddle of oil on the floor so I took the car to get it on a ramp and find out what's up. The mechanic (just a local tyre place) said it looks like it's coming from the sump.

My question is do the gaskets usually go on these engines? As I'm pretty sure that's not common. The sump looks fine apart from the leak...

Any advice would be great as I'm sure it's going to cost a fair bit to get sorted whatever happens.

Gaskets are usually ok. Seals on the otherhand have a tendency to go if they have been on there a while.

Get a mechanic to give you a sitrep on front/rear crank seals, camshaft seals and rocker covers. If it definately coming from the sump then shouldn't be a big deal to get resealed.

Gaskets are usually ok. Seals on the otherhand have a tendency to go if they have been on there a while.

Get a mechanic to give you a sitrep on front/rear crank seals, camshaft seals and rocker covers. If it definately coming from the sump then shouldn't be a big deal to get resealed.

Ok thanks for that, I'll definitely get him to check those while I'm there. I just think it's odd that it would go unless in the engines past they have had the sump off and resealed it with cheap rubbish but I've no idea really.

I'll update here when I find out :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

Got some goodies today and picking my car up soon from going BPU and getting the read crank sorted.

imageimageimage

There was quite a few things wrong like the brakes were juddering at the back and the exhaust was rotting out. So I got the brakes sorted and painted, the decals will go on there too.

The exhaust is an HKS silent hi power. I hope it sounds good!

I got the cold air feed with heat shield fitted and painted. I'll get some pictures up.

Apparently there's some oil in the inter cooler piping and stock recirculating valve so turbo seals might be on there way out but apparently it's fine atm but something to keep an eye on.

The car gets treated too well :D