The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing rear window tint help

Vicky

The rear window of my supra has a black film stuck on and I hate it, it doesn't particularly look nice and has bubbles around the heater elements.

I appreciate that by taking it off I will probably damage the heater elements but I want to take the risk, I'm having a hard job of removing it so any tips or products that anyone knows work?

I did mine recently. Starting in one corner, Use a hairdryer to heat the film and the lb start praising it up. Use a plastic scraper or old credit card to help. It will no doubt split, and this will be time consuming. Once all the film is off, use petrol and a sponge scourer pad to remove the residue. Don't use a razor blade as you will destroy the elements.

[

I've been told by a tint shop how they do it is the above, but also any dry glue residue left over you need to CAREFULLY scrape off using a razor blade, this is the easiest way to get the glass back to normal, you have to be extremely careful around the edges of the heater strips though.

I did mine recently. Starting in one corner, Use a hairdryer to heat the film and the lb start praising it up. Use a plastic scraper or old credit card to help. It will no doubt split, and this will be time consuming. Once all the film is off, use petrol and a sponge scourer pad to remove the residue. Don't use a razor blade as you will destroy the elements.

the petrol works a treat, dont smoke while doing this though :)

Unfortunately there is no easy way to get the film itself off, though heating it helps. MATT _RR told me to use petrol after I had already tried various sticker removers etc, and petrol made it much easier. Remember to leave the doors and boot open for a good while afterwards though!!!

I must have got lucky with mine, I found if you find a weak/bubbled/edge area then if you can pull the loose end slowly and not at too drastic an angle you can mm by mm get it off. Basically say if you were sitting in the boot and trying to peel it off from the boot towards the front, then pull your edge down and towards the back rather than pulling your tab directly forward and bending the film fully back on itself. Definitely a job for taking your time and just watch each time you come up to the heating elements but again maybe I got lucky but for me the tint peeled off them no problem.

I must have got lucky with mine, I found if you find a weak/bubbled/edge area then if you can pull the loose end slowly and not at too drastic an angle you can mm by mm get it off. Basically say if you were sitting in the boot and trying to peel it off from the boot towards the front, then pull your edge down and towards the back rather than pulling your tab directly forward and bending the film fully back on itself. Definitely a job for taking your time and just watch each time you come up to the heating elements but again maybe I got lucky but for me the tint peeled off them no problem.

Exactly what I did. It didn't leave any residue. I stress the very slowly bit. I might have used some soapy water or washing up liquid if the peeling got harder.