The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stevo's Refresh Project

Stevo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice work steve, liking the start with all the cleaned and sprayed bits.

Makes such a difference to the car, not many people take the time to do that! :thumbs:

Cheers Dane. Couldn't bare the thought of a load of grimy parts going back into a nice, newly sprayed bay!

Where did you get the kick plates?

As Marc says Chris I just did them myself - they're the stock ones that have been carbon skinned, with a clear coat over the genuine TRD stickers :)

Other than the obvious respray, I've also taken the opportunity to replace many of the tired and worn bits of rubber seals and plastic trim. Spent a bomb at Toyota buying bits of rubber!

New OEM front windscreen seal

New OEM rear windscreen seal

New OEM weather rails (driver and passenger)

New OEM rubber door seals (driver and passenger)

New OEM bonnet to bumper rubber seal

Refurbished scuttle panel in satin black

Front and rear wiper arms blasted and sprayed in matt black

All badge holes deleted

Rear washer jet deleted

OEM spats

Genuine Trial skirts

De-lined OEM mirrors

looks good man! Very clean & love the colour :D

Now this is what you call a refresh! Good stuff dude :)

Cheers guys.

Engine back in the car now and all looking like new, just what I was aiming for - or as close as my wallet would allow! :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=201846&stc=1&d=1432919137

attachment.php?attachmentid=201847&stc=1&d=1432919137

20140301_141010 (Small).jpg

20140302_113541 (Small).jpg

All done and running sweet. Fired up first time which I was soooo pleased about given that I'd little to no mechanical experience!

HUUUUUGE thanks to John Hodgson for the help along the way and for actually getting the engine, gearbox, etc etc back in place and making sure it was all running well with no concerns re. leaks etc. Top bloke! :thumbs:

Anyway, as a comparison, it went from this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=201908&stc=1&d=1433076430

To this! :D :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=201909&stc=1&d=1433076430

P1070787 (Custom).jpg

P1080437 (Medium).jpg

Having just come back from the bodyshop, the interior was absolutely minging so it took quite a while to get rid of as much dust as I could possibly reach, before I started to refit things inside the car.

I wasn't really happy with the condition of the various bits of boot trim - pretty much every bit of plastic was scratched up in one place or another. So, it was at that point that I had the idea to begin transforming the interior too, in a way that subtly match the outside of the car. Unfortunately, at this point I'm feeling pretty skint after the respray and engine work, so decided to have a go at stuff myself.

Bought some high-end 'nappa' vinyl, some scrim foam, high temp contact adhesive and set about doing the first bit from under the hatch.

attachment.php?attachmentid=201963&stc=1&d=1433192442

attachment.php?attachmentid=201962&stc=1&d=1433192442

attachment.php?attachmentid=201964&stc=1&d=1433192442

attachment.php?attachmentid=201965&stc=1&d=1433192442

attachment.php?attachmentid=201966&stc=1&d=1433192442

The small bumps you can see in the final picture all smoothed out in the sun as the adhesive set.

20140811_154124 (1280x934) (Medium).jpg

20140811_154250 (1280x944) (Medium).jpg

20140812_122739 (1280x960) (Medium).jpg

20140812_125451 (1280x931) (Medium).jpg

20140812_153852 (1280x958) (Medium).jpg

Before the panel was fitted, I wanted to minimise any possibility of squeaks or rattles, so used some leftover sound absorber (Silent Coat) to put behind anything that might move and also on the back of the panel itself.

attachment.php?attachmentid=201970&stc=1&d=1433193477

attachment.php?attachmentid=201971&stc=1&d=1433193477

The material is designed primarily to absorb unwanted high frequencies. The pressure sensitive properties also make it great for sandwiching between panelsa and after application the material fills the gaps between the sufaces.

Pretty much all over the car is a combination of this, Silent Coat damping mat to reduce sound resonance and Silent Coat Noise Isolator. I did all of this way before the respray though and I don't seem to be able to find the pictures. Areas treated include the door skins, floor (inc. transmission tunnel), rear seat bench and the inside of the boot well.

Finally got the trim back on

attachment.php?attachmentid=201972&stc=1&d=1433193598

attachment.php?attachmentid=201973&stc=1&d=1433193598

So the plan is to use more of this material to try and trim the rest of the panels myself. I've been practicing my stitches on my mam's sewing machine too :)

P1080216 (Small).JPG

P1080218 (Small).JPG

20140813_101902 (1280x960) (Medium).jpg

20140813_102122 (1280x960) (Medium).jpg

Stevo that's amazing work. Ripped fear and yourself are really flying the forum NA flag well, (in vain as it's a NA ;) )

The colour is stunning and I really like how the engine bay stands out against it. The inlet manifold looks like a work of art....... enjoy keeping that clean in the future :D

Stevo that's amazing work. Ripped fear and yourself are really flying the forum NA flag well, (in vain as it's a NA ;) )

The colour is stunning and I really like how the engine bay stands out against it. The inlet manifold looks like a work of art....... enjoy keeping that clean in the future :D

Cheers Graham. With no turbos and chasing power figures to worry about, the least we can do is aim to make them perform like they should and look good! :p

To be honest, 'yes' I would like a faster car at some point but this more than does me for my daily driver and is extremely reliable with a lot less worries than TTs or Single's seem to bring to the table.

Thankfully the throttle body and manifold etc seem to happy with just a wipe down every once in a while with some diluted APC on a microfibre cloth.