The mkiv Supra Owners Club

EBC Green and Red Stuff – for a Volvo

V

Has anyone had experience of the EBC stuff please?

I’m looking at changing my brakes on my Volvo XC90 as they weren’t performing well after a few big hills in Devon and Cornwell towing a caravan.

I’m only looking at Changing Discs, Pads and Fluid without going silly on cost.

PADS

EBC Green or Red stuff?

I was just going to go with Green but reading their website they reckon Red would be better for heavy cars as Green wears quick.

I don’t know if anyone has you found that? 15 odd years ago friends using Green and Red said the Green was great and work from cold and didn’t wear much, and Red took a bit of time to get to temperature and was noticeable for everyday use but great on track.

EBC have had several improvements over the years so don’t know what they’re like now?

EBC recommend Red for my requirement - I suppose that probably answers my question, but you cant beat advice from people that have used the stuff.

Quote:

Green stuff is not a hard and long lasting pad and drivers may find Green stuff last less miles on light Trucks and SUV than stock units which in our opinion are designed primarily to pass the warranty period but 6000 are a good quality pad replacement with medium dusting and good brake effect.

For heavier faster cars and vehicles above 200bhp we strongly recommend Red stuff which does offer much less dust.

Red stuff is only available for heavier and faster cars and does find its self at its best on slightly heavier cars.

DISCS

Looking at EBC USR Slotted Discs as they only have small swipes which I think would be a benefit for sustained braking.

I wouldn’t want drilled holes especially for the money I’m looking at paying, and I don’t what anything looking stupid – the swipes are pushing TBH.

FLUID

Continentals ATE Type 200 DOT 4 race fluid so long as it’s ok for the ESP system.

Otherwise it’s their SL6.

Many thanks

EBC USR Slotted Rotors.pdf

EBC green stuff.pdf

EBC red stuff.pdf

ATE product info.pdf

Their favourite trick is for the friction material to fall off the backing plate.

These things are so dangerous they should be banned.

Hello David :wave:

Yep they are indeed pants, I wouldn't be using red on a road car either. My colleague told me when he had red pads on his Lanica and nearly drove into someone as the pads were rubbish on cold bite (more than he expected). Sure the calipers are up for the job of towing? Perhaps you might need to look here or upgraded braided hoses\fluid? The Range Rover Sports Brembo's work pretty well which is another option :D

Thanks guys.

I have just bought some this morning first thing, so its too late now.

Reviews in the US on SUVs are good and they're more than acceptable in the cold, but these on heavier cars as intended.

I value your opinions, so let see how we get on. I reckon they maybe different but they cant be sh1t can they.......

I've had friends using Green Stuff an they like the feel of them, being quite progressive, but that's not on a 2.2T car towing another 1.5T.

I'm not abusing them like on a track day, but want an improvement without busting the bank, so lets see how we get on.

Cheers guys ;)

Were they new, were genuine?

I'm sure EBC don't make that fall apart at a moments notice, so I'm afraid I'm a bit sceptical.

EBC wouldn't have been going so long if they made crap?

They might not be the best, but I'm guessing they'll be 'ok'.

I've spent my money to find out, so at least I can be the guinea pig for you :D

I'll have to have a word with Chris Wilson and get him to make some pads for Volvos, which I believe is his daily drive???

I already do pads for the whole Volvo range, from P1800 to current stuff ;)

The Labour party have been going a long time, doesn't mean they are any bloody good ;)

I have driven Volvos, usually ones most people wouldn't deign to sit in, with stellar mileages on them, and some alarming knocks and noises, for nearly 40 years, with the odd more exotic machine along the way :)

I have never, touch wood, been stranded at the side of the road in one, as yet!

Were they new, were genuine?

I'm sure EBC don't make that fall apart at a moments notice, so I'm afraid I'm a bit sceptical.

EBC wouldn't have been going so long if they made crap?

They might not be the best, but I'm guessing they'll be 'ok'.

I've spent my money to find out, so at least I can be the guinea pig for you :D

I'll have to have a word with Chris Wilson and get him to make some pads for Volvos, which I believe is his daily drive???

The set I was given for track use by someone who worked at EBC were in my car a week before I pulled them out and moved to something decent. They were that bad they did not even make it to the track!

When companies sell turbo timers - which are completely useless and do nothing of value - and Ebay is littered with cheap crap that does more harm than good, you'd be surprised. Basically, if people will buy it, people will sell it. Regardless of quality.

No, but not every company is the best or the biggest (which doesn't mean the best)

(AP is Brembo btw)

Toyota isn’t the biggest or the best car manufacture but we’ve all got one.

Quote:

“The EBC range is now the largest of any brake manufacturer in the world (and I now that doesn’t mean it’s the best, or even good).

EBC Brakes now employ 400 people worldwide and enjoy an annual turnover in excess of 100 million Euros with all of its products made in its UK or USA manufacturing plants.”

http://ebcbrakes.com/articles/dangerous-cross-drilled-rotors/

I’m not trying to defend EBC as I’m going in eyes open (maybe with a bit of grit shoved in there for good measure :D )

I’ve paid my money and taken my choice.

They're not some tin pot outfit, or some unknown or fake stuff off eBay and feel they ‘should’ be a reasonable alternative.

Obviously I hope I haven’t bought a load of hardened dung to try and stop me and my family, but in my mind a reputable company, which EBC is, shouldn’t be producing the level of quality that you're pertaining they do.

Reviews of them on SUVs seem good.

But hey let’s see and I’ll truthfully let you know how I get on.

If they’re crap, they’re crap and I’ll say they’re crap :fool: :idiot: :D

Edited by V (see edit history)