The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MR2 1ZZ-FE turbo - opinions?

Gaz6002

Any conversion uses 3S gearbox, mounts and a custom east mount on the engine. Small amount of chassis leg massaging and a modified water system. The gear selector works back to front so needs modifying and some mix and match drive shafts and hubs with a modified intermediate shaft centre bearing hanger bracket. Then there is the ecu/chassis wiring which is actually quite easy compared to a SW20.

Lyndon.

Driven a 2zz supra charged, a few 1zz turbos, a 3.0 1mz. All of which left me underwhelmed if I'm honest. Handle like gokarts and are very point and squirt but never had one at the limit.

oh! and a 3S-gte VVTi which never quite worked.

Lyndon.

How quick compared to a mild-tune 3S-GTE in a mk2 MR2?

Our mutual friend, Gaz, had a Mk3 Roadster turbo which had a low pressure GT28 on it. Was quite nippy. Around 240bhp.

It'd be quicker than a 260-270bhp Mk2.

I'd personally not bother. If you're looking for something like that, keep an eye open for a 1MZ V6 converted one. It's a 210bhp V6 with 200lb/ft and is very nice. Doesn't hurt the balance much either. There's a few around. Don't go for the 3VZ version, though. That engine is just too heavy for the Mk3.

How quick compared to a mild-tune 3S-GTE in a mk2 MR2?

Depends on your idea of a mild tune. A rev 3 with 1.2bar, exhaust, charge cooler and inlet is going to waste a 1zz turbo up until the ring land break :-) A MRS with a 400bhp 3S motor would be about as far as you would want to go for the road. After that it would be a right handful.

Our mutual friend, Gaz, had a Mk3 Roadster turbo which had a low pressure GT28 on it. Was quite nippy. Around 240bhp.

It'd be quicker than a 260-270bhp Mk2.

I'd personally not bother. If you're looking for something like that, keep an eye open for a 1MZ V6 converted one. It's a 210bhp V6 with 200lb/ft and is very nice. Doesn't hurt the balance much either. There's a few around. Don't go for the 3VZ version, though. That engine is just too heavy for the Mk3.

The balance is an issue for me as I'd be planning on some pretty serious track driving in it. This is why I fancied keeping it a four-pot.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on your idea of a mild tune. A rev 3 with 1.2bar, exhaust, charge cooler and inlet is going to waste a 1zz turbo up until the ring land break :-) A MRS with a 400bhp 3S motor would be about as far as you would want to go for the road. After that it would be a right handful.

My last mk2 was around 300bhp. I'd consider that mild :)

300bhp mild indeed ;)

I was involved in the Rogue Motorsport Brit car and that handled very well indeed (on slicks) and all that ran was monoflex, white line and poly.

I was considering giving Patrick a call about it actually. He's heavily involved in the club I race with so it makes sense.

Have a look at the Woodsport website, they do all conversions on mk1, 2 and 3 MR2's.

Silverstone (can't remember the company name) do a German turbo and handling kit for the mk3 that was available in Europe factory standard but not here. It looks really good.

Personally the Camry 3.0 V6 in a mk2 is a favourite but ultimately I'd have the 3S-GTE in a mk1 with the supercharger LSD. A mk1.5 they are called :)

In that case have a talk about the 2GRFE that they put in the MRS too.

Lyndon.

Sooooo expensive are these 2GR conversions though :(

I would stick with a BPU MK2 Rev3 Tintop for track attack and gut as much weight as possible they are so cheap now just the gearboxs are usually all trash now dead syncros etc...

If you can afford it A new box from Rogue and a well maintained block should see you some fun in any shell..