The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big Supes' UK-Spec - The Story So Far

Big Supes

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] love that film soooo funny

One of my favourite films. :D

The guy opposite talked of building a shed for his classic cars when he moved in. This has just been finished. I am not envious, honest.... 30 foot by 83 foot, insulated on a damp proof raft.

That is just insane!

I intend to fully insulate the garage and plasterboard the ceiling with LED spot lights through out, but that's about it. Ok, maybe a projector and some beanbags, as well. ;)

Awesome garage mate!

as for step brothers, boats and hoes! :)

Boat 'n hoes!! :D

Awesome garage, very jealous!

Thanks mate. The garage was so good that I didn't want to get my hopes with the risk of it falling through! We got lucky.

• 5 years later...

It's been a while, but thread update time... 

Big thanks to Ibrar @Speedwells for the refurb on my SSR Professor's. Along with the new centre caps they look lovely. Can't wait to fit them. 

Also, sat in the garage waiting to be fitted next week is a Grannas Racing 700a kit. It consists of a Tilton ST246 twin disc clutch good for 1000bhp so the trans foundations are concrete now. After years of researching and pondering over 6sp swaps, I've concluded the GR 700a kit to be the best H-pattern 6sp available for the MKIV. 

Plans this winter include a repainting 3/4 of the car as I have an annoying scrape on the roof that needs sorting. I might look to pull the engine too for a refresh in preparation for going single next year. 

20210918_114901.jpg

20210914_190705.jpg

Edited by Big Supes (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Big Supes said:

Only things left to do are bleed the clutch and connect the prop now. 

Loving the stock look to this conversion. 

Think I'm going to have to get a new ashtray now! 

20211005_185848.jpg

Looks great, I was torn between the Grannas kit and a V161 recently. 

I went the other way for a couple of reasons such as the reports of rattles etc but I think they've been sorted with a new cast bell-housing?

It seems that's the one that you've got? Seems miles better than the old steel housing.

1 hour ago, mharvey said:

Looks great, I was torn between the Grannas kit and a V161 recently. 

I went the other way for a couple of reasons such as the reports of rattles etc but I think they've been sorted with a new cast bell-housing?

It seems that's the one that you've got? Seems miles better than the old steel housing.

Yeah, the rattles reports were from the early street kits that had a different clutch set up and steel bell housing. 

The Tilton twin sprung disc set up along with the aluminium bell housing has quietened it right down apparently. From what I've seen in videos, it seems to be the case.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of little jobs on the go at the moment.... 

EGR delete.

Sort cam cover oil leak and refurb while I'm there. 

Oil catch can on order from Real Street. 

'Facelift look' to the front end. I couldn't bring myself to pay a hefty amount of money to downgrade to plastic so I decided to strip and wrap the innards. They're looking so much better. 👌

IMG_20211024_122749_989.jpg

20211025_134107.jpg

20211027_141725.jpg

20211027_142438.jpg

20211027_142338.jpg

• Like 1

Ended up redoing the light clusters three times to realise that they need fully stripping back to begin with before any wrapping can commence. I tried different techniques to preserve the chrome, but it still ends up getting pulled off. It's super fragile. 

After experimenting with chrome paint, I've ended up buying a meter of Avery silver wrapping chrome to finish the rings as the chrome paint just looked silver. One meter of silver chrome = £150 delivered. #shafted🤦‍♂️😅

Opted for a lil carbon accent to add a little bit of flare. Looks pretty decent if I don't mind saying so myself. 

For the record, this still isn't finished as the rings are just mocked up out of old swatch samples I had kicking around. 

20211103_125417.jpg

9 minutes ago, Big Supes said:

Ended up redoing the light clusters three times to realise that they need fully stripping back to begin with before any wrapping can commence. I tried different techniques to preserve the chrome, but it still ends up getting pulled off. It's super fragile. 

After experimenting with chrome paint, I've ended up buying a meter of Avery silver wrapping chrome to finish the rings as the chrome paint just looked silver. One meter of silver chrome = £150 delivered. #shafted🤦‍♂️😅

Opted for a lil carbon accent to add a little bit of flare. Looks pretty decent if I don't mind saying so myself. 

For the record, this still isn't finished as the rings are just mocked up out of old swatch samples I had kicking around. 

20211103_125417.jpg

@Noz makes mirror polished stainless steel rings for these. They will out last any wrap, or paint and look just as good . Can do pre-face too

1123.thumb.jpg.a74cacf936e743e9edf4008afdfeccd6.jpg

Edited by tayr (see edit history)

Found a decent location for the Real Street catch can. 

This is out of the way from extreme heat, maintains cruise control and also doesn't mean I have to delete my charcoal canister (which I really didn't want to have to do). 

I just need to either modify the bracket or use the bolt hole in the back or the inlet where the EGR was to mount a fixed jubilee and secure it that way. 

Just waiting on the ally bosses to arrive and then the cam covers can go off to the welders, then it's a case of getting the hoses made. 

20211103_124738.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 1:14 PM, tayr said:

@Noz makes mirror polished stainless steel rings for these. They will out last any wrap, or paint and look just as good . Can do pre-face too

1123.thumb.jpg.a74cacf936e743e9edf4008afdfeccd6.jpg

I took your advice and went for a set of @Noz's headlight rings, but I'm not sure on the fitment as the flanges don't appear deep enough.

Do yours cover the entire ring? Yours appear to be bigger in your picture. 

20211118_113633.jpg

1 hour ago, Big Supes said:

I took your advice and went for a set of @Noz's headlight rings, but I'm not sure on the fitment as the flanges don't appear deep enough.

Do yours cover the entire ring? Yours appear to be bigger in your picture. 

20211118_113633.jpg

Drop Noz a pm mate, I know there is variation in the housings but he should be able to sort something for you that fits better. I know that the original Supply route has had to change so it may just be a bit of trial and error to start with but I’m sure he  sort you out no problem 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tayr said:

Drop Noz a pm mate, I know there is variation in the housings but he should be able to sort something for you that fits better. I know that the original Supply route has had to change so it may just be a bit of trial and error to start with but I’m sure he  sort you out no problem 

I've dropped him a PM to let him know. At first I think he thought they weren't pushed on all the way, but after trying again, there's definitely not enough meat to cover the ring. I'll see what he recommends. 👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

New look... 

As I've removed the active spoiler I need the front undertray so it's a choice on whether to go for OE or an aftermarket aluminium kit. Leaning towards the later. Once that's on, I'll refit the front Zun grill. 

Decided to keep the headlight dildos as they're just a quirky part of the cars identity. 😁

20220116_125426.jpg

20220115_160703.jpg

• Like 3

An OEM one would do the job, but it's finding one. I went with the SRD kit in black as I didn't want to wait until a stock one came up for sale. I also fitted the top rad plate at the same time to seal everything off and force all the air through the intercooler and rad.

@Big Supes have you got a run out yet with the new box installed? Interested to see if the bag of rocks noise is no longer a thing with the new upgraded housing and clutch. If you don't mind me asking what was the total including import fees as I'm thinking of going down that route myself?

• Big Supes changed the title to Big Supes' UK-Spec - The Story So Far