The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Range Rover restoration

Dnk

Good move, IMHO, should last you out! Nice to see a proper job being detailed.

Not sure how i talked myself out of doing it to be honest, it's not a biggy as i'd not wasted too much time

cleaning up the chassis.

This way it'll be better than new and not stupid money to do it either :)

Had 3 broken studs in the manifolds, one came out quite easily but the other two needed a little

more persuading, i popped into my brothers workshop and machined them out on his KRV turret mill.

Much nicer job than with a hand drill :)

The front end is being attacked now, arches and inner wings etc all being cut out along

with the headlamp mountings.

Once all the new panels are in and finish welded, cross member, sills etc the body will come

off the chassis be stripped and then get it off to be dipped and galvanised

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Is there no need to bolt or tack weld anti deformation box section across the door pillars when chopping out the sills? I'd be worried the shell would lozenge wuithh all that stuff removed, Great work, thanks for the documented progress. As for your engine post, just put a small block Chevy in it ;) Or a decent Jap diesel, at least part of it will be reliable then ;) Just pulling your leg! Great work.

They think its fine so i let them get on with it, i did mention this when they started cutting it out.

I think if you cut both sides out at the same time you could have a problem

I looked at a small block Chevy but it would cost a lot more in the long run than staying with either my

engine or getting a new one off the shelf at JE Developments.

It keeps it original too

I've had probably 10 classic Range Rovers and not a single engine problem other than

being a tad thirsty :D

I have not had much to do with the Rover ali block V8 (Buick) since I ran my Rover Coupe. Back then they had dodgy rear main seals (rope type, from memory) and were always prone to dripping oil. Oh, and the Sputnik oil separators on the valve covers used to choke up. But back then the oil used was not compatible with PCV systems and *every* engine used to coke up the oil in the top end. Ford CVH's were horrendous for it. But I regress.... Good luck with it, hope the doors still fit, personally I'd do a trial fit before welding up the sills. ;)

I was there when they cut it out and they had a jack under the c post and one

under the a post, it didn't move much when the c post jack was lowered so fingers

crossed and a bit of jiggling and it should be okay

I was told to stop worrying it will be better than when LR put it together

We are actually behind schedule a little bit. The tailgate is actually being done

at another shop, i've had a custom made skin fabricated by profab.org.uk in

Earlswood who i know very well. The one partner is big into drag racing and does

a lot of supercharger stuff.

Monday should now see the chassis parted from the body, that will be an interesting

few hours.

I'm still undecided on the engine route, fitting a new one would be very nice but with

the ecu re mapped and airflow meter needing to be modded or fit a new one its around

£5k with the vat