The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Range Rover restoration

Dnk

Nice one but bet they'll be twice what your dad got for them

Just spoke to him and he said there another set of wheels in the garage he knows there 5 spoke and he's pretty sure there the same so I'll go round and take a picture of them tomorrow and send it you if you want, be funny if we find he had 2 sets in the garage haha

The joys of breaking a few rangerovers and discoveries lol we just got rid of a series 1 landrover too lol now we've got the military 109 auto 3.9 v8 with 4.2 cam in it

And his neighbour has a space frame bowler that weighs just over a ton that had a tvr 4.2 (blueprinted) in it but has now got a 4.6 v8 in it, that thing is an animal

So yeah any parts I'm sure we can help mate :-)

That would be great, my offroader i built a while ago had a tweeked 4.6 in it and ran on twin pro comp

suspension.

Not quite a Bowler but great fun in the desert

Sounds awesome gotta love old landys people think there slow but they can embarrass quite a few cars, I'm sure robin (the one with the bowler) said when his was dyno'd it was around 300bhp and 0-60 was something stupid like 4.5 seconds lol the sound of it is phenomenal and could get it sideways around the swan island all wheels spinning haha

Ill email you the pics in the morning mate

That would be great, my offroader i built a while ago had a tweeked 4.6 in it and ran on twin pro comp

suspension.

Not quite a Bowler but great fun in the desert

makes sense now going for a range rover for sentimental reasons. Ive always fancied an old landcruiser 60/70 or even 80 series for a resto project. Best of luck with it Dunk I'll be watching this one. Will it be in use daily once completed?

Coming together, I think the project build is the best stage, that's why I have sold so many "finished" cars !!

I thought i was going to struggle with this part but the place i've found are on the doorstep in Redditch

and have done quite a few Range Rovers.

I'm trying to figure out what suspension to go for which isn't so easy as most places haven't a clue what

the spring rates are.

Stock on a pre airbag RR is 133 inch lbs front and 150 on the rear i think, i want to stiffen that up a bit but

not too much, i found a Bilstein kit but the rates seem too high to me, 200 front and 295 rear

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

It's finally on the ramp.

The chassis only has surface corrosion and easily sorted which is a major result.

Nearside and offside body mounts need some attention but quite easily sorted, offside inner and outer sills

will be replaced along with the rear cross section behind the rear bumper which is the worst area on the car.

Boot floor will need replacing along with both front footwells and both front inner wings.

That's about it on the corrosion side.

All the bushes are shot so they will get changed along with new dampers & new power steering pipes.

The air suspension now works so we'll keep that for the time being.

Both front swivel housings are leaking and looks like it'll need new cv joints etc.

Another huge plus is the motor, we pulled all the plugs and compression tested it and

all is good with the engine, did an oil and filter change along with new coolant

and ran it up and its as sweet as a nut.

Fuel lines need replacing but the brake lines at the rear are all copper and not very old, it'll get

a new exhaust at some stage as well

I'll pop up some pictures later

Nope :) One is enough thanks

We fixed the rotten fuel line yesterday so it's now a bit safer to drive in and out the workshop :bang:

I missed out on some bargins though from a local breakers yard who had exactly the same spec

as mine in for breaking.

The parts went silly cheap in my opinion, £600 for engine & box and only done 75k

• 3 months later...

Had a few set backs with this project and where i was going to do it is a non starter.

On the plus side i've found a place making all the panels for the Classic RR and their only in

Coventry, they bought all the old original tooling apparently so there shouldn't be any fitting issues.

Super cheap as well, boot floor £50, inner sills £50, outer sills £25 etc

I found this place on my searches around the net, they appear to do some serious projects there

including total rebuilds, £30k for a 94 Soft dash they have restored 280 hrs labour :blink:

http://www.kingsleycars.co.uk

Had a few set backs with this project and where i was going to do it is a non starter.

On the plus side i've found a place making all the panels for the Classic RR and their only in

Coventry, they bought all the old original tooling apparently so there shouldn't be any fitting issues.

Super cheap as well, boot floor £50, inner sills £50, outer sills £25 etc

I found this place on my searches around the net, they appear to do some serious projects there

including total rebuilds, £30k for a 94 Soft dash they have restored 280 hrs labour :blink:

http://www.kingsleycars.co.uk

Over £90k for this one!!! http://www.kingsleycars.co.uk/restored-land-rovers/1992-range-rover-3-9i-se-2-door.htm

It is lovely though :cool:

Well after a day of investigation i have found a new workshop which is only a 10 minute

drive from where i live.

Should have the Range moved there hopefully sometime next week.

Take Kingsleys website with a pinch of salt, i actually spoke to the guy that

did the restoration yesterday !!

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

• 5 months later...