The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How long should brake shoes last.??

Havard

Only had the Hyundai Santa Fe for a week and a half and it has already shat it's handbrake shoes out.

Vicki was driving to work last Tuesday and she heard an almighty clunk from the rear of the car. She immediately turned around and brought it home.

I got in it and tried to reverse off the drive and another big clunk happened with a sudden release of tension. Had the car back to Hyundai in Bolton today and they reckon that the handbrake shoes have shed their linings. The handbrake was not in use when the failure occurred.

Question is, with a car being 26K miles, one owner, this seems a little premature seeing I have a Supra that is 16 years old and 66K miles on it's originals. Assuming that the mid 40's guy who owned it before and used it for pulling a caravan once in a while had not been doing handbrake turns or driving it with the handbrake on. The car is otherwise in wonderful condition and seems very well looked after, services when it should have been etc. What would cause handbrake shoes to fail?

Hyundai have said it is not covered under it's 5 year warranty but we are arguing with them at the moment. I accept this is a wearable item but at this mileage they shouldn't fail IMO.

We will see what Hyundai Uk say as they have asked for pictures of the shoes. Either way it isn't going to be overly expensive but frustrating non the less.

H.

They just don't make them like they used to!! My only view would be the previous owner either lived or worked in a very hilly area which mean't it saw plenty of handbrake action or the person applying it wasn't very symptomatic when applying it!! Either way for it to fail at such low mileage and age is a worry!!

maybe poor adjustment and they was always on which lead to the failure?

It was on 4 clicks when we got it but whether it had previously been adjusted is any ones guess. It was only serviced 3K miles ago.

They just don't make them like they used to!! My only view would be the previous owner either lived or worked in a very hilly area which mean't it saw plenty of handbrake action or the person applying it wasn't very symptomatic when applying it!! Either way for it to fail at such low mileage and age is a worry!!

His drive was as flat as a pancake. I have had loads of cars and used then in a variety of different conditions but never had a problem like this.

I am just waiting for a response from Hyundai.