The mkiv Supra Owners Club

James' 1997 RZ VVTi T88-34D Single Turbo - Respray and new CCWs [pg 32]

James

Well, I took the car out for the first time since October last week - felt good to be back in it :)

The Recaro SR5 is a great seat - very comfortable! I'm glad I made the change. I'll need to get some pics up.

Still to order the new CCWs. Just as well as I keep changing my mind regarding the sizes! I'm currently pretty set on 18x9.5 +28 and 18x11.5 +37.

Also been going back and forth regarding turbo choices - for the longest while I was 'decided' on the Precision 6266DBB Gen2. Now I'm also looking at the Garrett GTX3582R with a 1.06 A/R.

Either way, I'd hoping to utilise my existing GReddy manifold, and wastegate setup, so that will also play a part in it.

Any opinions regarding this are welcomed. :thumbs:

• 2 months later...

Following on from a for sale thread posted last week, I have pulled my head out of my backside and I'm going to soldier on with the car instead. :thumbs:

I've sold the ASNU 1100cc injectors and Syvecs S6GP which I had picked up though, so I think for now I will just need to find a mapper and have the map on my HKS F-Con looked at. I'll get a confirmed idea of power as well. Not that it really bothers me, as it feels fast enough anyway. I've just always been curious.

From being as honest as I could and going round the car and identifying every little issue with the exterior for the aforementioned sale thread, I'm going to get the car resprayed. It'll just stay 202 black.

I'll also keep myself away from the want to sell by actually ordering wheels like I've been intending for so long (I should never have sold my Classics). I'm still set on the LM5Ts, so will likely end up with them. :)

The new CCWs are finally on order! Due to arrive mid May. Ended up going 18x11.5 +37 in the rear. They'll have a 4" lip. Should sit nice with the flare. 18x9.5 +24 front.

I've also got the car booked in for a full respray at the start of June. It'll be staying 202 black. As in my above post, going round the car to find faults with the paint meant that I need to sort the wee bits out really to be totally happy. At the same time I'll also be getting the following done:

Number plate holes filled

Rear wiper delete

Rear washer nozzle delete

Aerial delete

Front bumper trimmed (intercooler pipes make it bulge and caused paint cracks)

While I'm at it, I'm going to fit a UK spec rear bumper and some Ridox skirts with the carbon lower section too.

:)

Good to hear it's staying :cool: It's a fantastic car.

When I had my old single, I was in contact with TDI about mapping the Fcon, seemed very reasonably priced too at the time :) He who must not be named is breaking a UK spec on Facebook, might be a good opportunity to pick up a UK rear bumper. I've got one on mine, looks much nicer than the JDM one when you fit a normal sized plate to it :cool:

Who's doing your respray dude? Glad your keeping it now :thumbs:

Toole Design Bodyshop in Fife, Alex. Their work seems to be pretty good so here's hoping :D

Good to hear it's staying :cool: It's a fantastic car.

When I had my old single, I was in contact with TDI about mapping the Fcon, seemed very reasonably priced too at the time :) He who must not be named is breaking a UK spec on Facebook, might be a good opportunity to pick up a UK rear bumper. I've got one on mine, looks much nicer than the JDM one when you fit a normal sized plate to it :cool:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm203/j_s14a/Snoopy%20Supra/DSC_0788_zpszv1josqi.jpg

Thanks for that Jason - I'll need to pop them a message and see what's what :)

As for the UK rear, I should be sorted for that already :)

Waheeeeey!

Ridox skirts ftw as well :cool:

About time huh? It's taken me as long to order them as its taking for you to fit yours :D

Yeah, the Ridox skirts should be good as well. If I didn't have the Kansai lip I'd consider Top Secrets (I actually had some for a while) but the profile of the lip lends itself to the wavy skirt designs of OEM and Ridox, so they're probably the better option. :thumbs:

About time huh? It's taken me as long to order them as its taking for you to fit yours :D

Yeah, the Ridox skirts should be good as well. If I didn't have the Kansai lip I'd consider Top Secrets (I actually had some for a while) but the profile of the lip lends itself to the wavy skirt designs of OEM and Ridox, so they're probably the better option. :thumbs:

I'm aiming for this weekend if the coilovers go on without any troubles so we're not far off :D

That's what I suggested when you fitted the Kansai lip :D nice carbon lip all around

I'm aiming for this weekend if the coilovers go on without any troubles so we're not far off :D

That's what I suggested when you fitted the Kansai lip :D nice carbon lip all around

Best of luck with it dude - I look forward to the pics :cool:

Yeah, I've always had a worry that the flat lower section won't look right with the sweep of the lip, but I'm sure it'll be good! It's just difficult finding cars with Ridox skirts but not Ridox front bumpers to be able to imagine it!

Was amazed that you were considering selling it James, thought there was more chance of you cutting your hair than selling your supra :D

Haha absolutely - I was just having a crisis moment I think dude! I've fully come to my senses now so we're good! And the hair is here to stay as well! :lol:

Next things I need to decide on are tyre sizes for front and rear.

There is no chance that I'll fit the same tyres as before on due to the change in offset.

Previous was:

18x10 +44 (with a 5mm spacer so +39) - 285/30/18

18x11.5 +50 - 315/30/18

I'm thinking that this time I'll go:

18x9.5 +24 - 245/35/18

18x11.5 +37 - 295/30/18

Hopefully that'll give me a good compromise and sit nice. :)

Stuck offshore at the moment but have been advised that my BC coilovers have arrived. Originally I was set on looking into something like Nitron R1 but I can't justify them at the moment.

I opted for the rubber top mount version.

The Ridox skirts are going to be the Shine Auto versions as there were (I believe) supplier issues with Whifbitz' own offerings. I just hope they are here in time for paint! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally got myself a wee garage for keeping the car in when I'm not using it :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=211807&stc=1&d=1462924242

Took a couple of pics of my Recaro SR5 seats now that they are both in (though the orientation has went a bit mad :D )

attachment.php?attachmentid=211808&stc=1&d=1462924242

attachment.php?attachmentid=211809&stc=1&d=1462924242

attachment.php?attachmentid=211810&stc=1&d=1462924242

It was a nice day today anyway, so I had the car back out of the garage and took a couple of pics as it stands just now before the imminent changes:

attachment.php?attachmentid=211811&stc=1&d=1462924242

attachment.php?attachmentid=211812&stc=1&d=1462924309

attachment.php?attachmentid=211813&stc=1&d=1462924309

attachment.php?attachmentid=211814&stc=1&d=1462924309

First bit to do is the BC coilovers tomorrow. Though I'm a little nervous about the Kansai lip, as the outside of it sits quite low already, and I can't seem to source another should the worst happen!

Paint is in 4 weeks time, which I am very excited about. I'm pretty set on just staying 202 black, but at the same time I keep thinking of having a green flake through a black instead. Though I don't know if I could deal with the potential 'touch-up' headaches that would accompany that!

IMG_6878.jpg

IMG_6883.jpg

IMG_6885.jpg

IMG_6886.jpg

IMG_6889.jpg

IMG_6892.jpg

IMG_6894.jpg

IMG_6898.jpg

Got my BC coilovers fitted yesterday. While the car was up on the lift I got a look at the underside and I'm pretty happy with how it has handled the past few years here. :thumbs:

Managed to get the Tein Super Streets off relatively easily. The rear 2 were off in under 10 minutes, the fronts took a little longer because I was stubborn and didn't want to remove any of the arms or crack and balljoints :D Success in the end. The BCs went on no bother. Nice and quick job all in. The lift definitely made everything easier though!

I decided to drop the car a bit compared to where it was previously, though I feel like I'll need to raise it back up a bit as it is perhaps too low... :D

(The 25mm spacer on the rear is just to give myself a better idea of where things are going to sit when the CCW LM5Ts arrive, though they'll poke out by another 13.4mm over this as they are 11.5" ET37 :lol:)

I'll get everything re-adjusted when the wheels arrive and get a decent alignment done.

Ordered some R888s again for the new wheels. Went with 295/30/18 and 245/40/18 this time. :)

I'm now currently deciding on what colour I actually want to paint the car. I have some ideas. It is obviously a good bit more expensive to stray away from 202 though!

• 3 weeks later...
Nice update mate. U selling the used tiens?

I will be mate - I'll give them a quick clean up and take some pictures.

What splitter is this on the front?

As above, it is an HKS Kansai. I love it. I'm on the lookout for another as I don't know how long this one will last with the car being that bit lower (though I will be raising it slightly as I went too low!).

Had an email from CCW yesterday to say that my LM5Ts have been completed and assembled so will be shipped today hopefully. Can't wait :D

Well, got to give it to CCW - they have been good and quick in getting things going! Customs charge paid ( :faint: ) and the wheels should be with me on Monday :D

Today's jobs are to raise the car back up a bit, take the diffuser off and take the lip off in advance of going to the bodyshop on Saturday. :)

Looking good James, looking forward to seeing the new wheels on with the new off set ! how come you went with the smaller tyre at the back ? was it rubbing before ? im sure you had the 315 on it before

EDIT (JUST SEN THE ABOVE POST LOL)

Got of the phone to CCW about my wheels so looking forward to getting mine lol just need to make my mind up on tyres ... what did you pay custom charges ?

Edited by mplavery (see edit history)

Also waiting on my CCW was going to go for the d110 but thought they were about hit and miss on the supra so I got scared and got the classic because I know I like them :) my expected build date is the 6th of June, do you know how long shipping takes? And how much is custom charge? Do you know if the would lower the invoice for import tax:innocent:

Also waiting on my CCW was going to go for the d110 but thought they were about hit and miss on the supra so I got scared and got the classic because I know I like them :) my expected build date is the 6th of June, do you know how long shipping takes? And how much is custom charge? Do you know if the would lower the invoice for import tax:innocent:

Shipping doesn't take long, only a couple of days once it leaves the CCW factory. Customs charge is 20% of the value of the goods, think I was just shy of £400. I never asked but I doubt they would lower the price for you, but you never know :)

Looking good James, looking forward to seeing the new wheels on with the new off set ! how come you went with the smaller tyre at the back ? was it rubbing before ? im sure you had the 315 on it before

EDIT (JUST SEN THE ABOVE POST LOL)

Got of the phone to CCW about my wheels so looking forward to getting mine lol just need to make my mind up on tyres ... what did you pay custom charges ?

Yeah I had 315/30/18 on before - I just had a slight hesitance due to the change in offset meaning that they might foul with the 315 on. I'll mount them with the 295 and see how much room I have. Could always up it again if I have space! :)

Customs for me came in at £532. I bought my tyres elsewhere though, so that doesn't account for the value of those - just the wheels!

Keep it black James 202. Do you really want to change? A blow over will have it looking stunning again with the CCWs.

I think for the amount of work getting done to it that a subtle change will be a nice touch. It'll encompass the door shuts, boot shuts, wing checks and underside of the bonnet, as well as the exterior. The rear wiper, rear washer nozzle, aerial and front reg plate holes will all be removed. The bumper mouth is being trimmed due to the FMIC pipes being too big and a second rear bumper (a UK spec one this time) will be painted so that I have one without holes for the diffuser and the J-spec one with, so that I can change if desired. :)

The colour I'm pretty much set on is Aston Martin Storm Black. It has a little bit of red through it, yet still looks very black otherwise, rather than maroon:

Shipping doesn't take long, only a couple of days once it leaves the CCW factory. Customs charge is 20% of the value of the goods, think I was just shy of £400. I never asked but I doubt they would lower the price for you, but you never know :)

The Classics are lovely though, so you haven't made a bad choice! I did love mine. Just fancied a change! Make sure to properly seal them before you mount them though! As Steven said, shipping was only 2-3 days from collection at CCW to my front door - very impressive. As above, customs charge was £532 for me. I personally wouldn't lower it in case there was damage to them. :)

------------

The wheels arrived on Friday - safe to say I am delighted with them :D

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13312825_557752725303_1864893856473186877_n.jpg?oh=a3b0a6da0a046361c04c157fac298552&oe=57D89A42

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13312889_557752745263_8651419315468232933_n.jpg?oh=24d648e31c9d074d10ccc3a2b304f860&oe=57D006A2

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13327464_557752770213_4361161952973625851_n.jpg?oh=8ad8b02ca456824abaa7924ee7a6914f&oe=57D38405

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13321862_557752785183_1580370660903069307_n.jpg?oh=ecec37c849cf4a9f11b1e7e4983f724c&oe=57DCD9F6