The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nürburgring 2013

SteveR

i want to go there and have a spirited drive, enjoy the fact ive driven round the nurburgring, i dont want to push my car to the limits and risk crashing it or being crashed into.

tourist days are fine for my purpose next year. :)

This will be why I'll be going :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is jamie its very addictive and once you have done a few laps you cant help but push that little bit harder and then harder until you crash or blowup lol.

I used to watch my video's back and think blimey i must have been mad to drive it so hard with the barriers so close but once your out there they somehow become invisible and its like a red rag to a bull, BUT its the best thing ive ever done even killing my car there STILL dont put me off.

Problem is jamie its very addictive and once you have done a few laps you cant help but push that little bit harder and then harder until you crash or blowup lol.

I used to watch my video's back and think blimey i must have been mad to drive it so hard with the barriers so close but once your out there they somehow become invisible and its like a red rag to a bull, BUT its the best thing ive ever done even killing my car there STILL dont put me off.

You play too much PS3, when I'm there I never forget it's real and there is no 'restart'.

lol, ^^ says the man with 3-screen Forza motorsport :D

I'm looking forward to the steak on a hot stone already! :)

Guest Budz86

I'm interested but with a house purchase next year I don't know how easy this will be. Il keep an eye out and see what's what closer to the time

Just to give people an expectation of timescales, if this goes ahead as a group trip then we'd be booking accommodation (deposit required) & ferry crossings (full payment required) at the end of this year/very early in next year, then everything else (balance of the accommodation costs, petrol, lap tickets, food...) you'd pay for during the trip.

A nice track day would be great too Steve. James and Si did one too last year if I remember right.

Git!:) that so makes me want to be there and stops me being tempted to sell/break my car.

Steve i`d love to go next year but have to see how the finances are towards the end of the year.

Steve,

I'm going to miss this year (be the first year in the last 5 I will have missed) So will be interested in going next year as it is a great time. Can even advise of the anice hotel right next to the track with a balcony over looking the track.

for SAFCDixon, costs usually from NE England.

Petrol - Approx £300 depending on number of days / circuits

Accomodation - circa €40 per night b&b

Ferry - approx £58 return (dover-dunkirk)

Spending - €24 per lap + £500-£1000 if really let go.

I would work on £750-£1500 for a 5 night excursion. And that is moderate..

Well worth it for the buzz though

Cheers for that Tom, for me it all depends on the missus getting back into to work at the min im paying for everything so have very little money to play with, hopefully she'll be back to work soon

Git!:) that so makes me want to be there and stops me being tempted to sell/break my car.

Steve i`d love to go next year but have to see how the finances are towards the end of the year.

Garage it if the money's short for a year - don't ever break it, what else could you ever buy that you'd enjoy like the Supe?? :(

Im off there with some mates this year in October for 5 days, 3rd time for me in 2 years. I have to agree its highly addictive and without doubt a fantanstic albeit expensive experience. At a rough guess i'd say it costs me £1500 a time to go but thats including all travel, accomodation, food, beer, fuel and ring laps. My brother has the bug bad, and last time did 32 laps and about 6 tanks of fuel just at the ring itself, thats a grand alone.

Best piece of advice i could give anyone would be to prepare your car properly before you go, no point going with ling long tyres or crap brakes, and engine and driveline must be in A1 condition. Before i went last year i changed the entire cooling system, engine, diff and gearbox oil, replaced the disks and pads and had a full geometry allignment.

I would also look at the nurburgring website in detail, and look at the horrifying list of charges you can be hit for. The potential loss is UNLIMITED and no UK insurer will cover you on a tourist day

Finally, never drive more than 90% of your ability, always leave a margin for error. It may not be you, but there are hundreds of idiots out there in badly prepared cars with little or no experience trying to drive as fast as possible round an unfamiliar piece of dangerous and twisty tarmac with no real run off areas. My brother was forced onto the grass by a Belgian last year at 100mph, he was lucky and didnt crash as theres only 6 feet of grass between the track and barrier where it happened.

I do love the ring, but every time i go the financial consequenses of a crash scare me silly, its always in the back of your head and spoils the experience a bit. I can understand why UK insurers dont cover it, but they need to sort something out.

Everyone should go at least once in their life though as its an awesome place

A nice track day would be great too Steve. James and Si did one too last year if I remember right.

Makes me wish I was out there now!

I don't think I'll be in a position to go next year, what with a little one on the way and a potential house purchase coming up. There's always 2014.. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I will be in as long as the timing is right. Seen a few items saying that they are not sure what is happening with the ring as it looks like there is going to be ownership change. What do you guys do about noise levels. Not quite sure that mine will go below 96db?

The management has been passed back to the local government control after the failed vision of private enterprise which built the on-site hotel, rollercoaster, blah blah and then ramped prices up and tried to force competition away, in order to pay the bills for it all. Whoever runs it long term will tun it much more like it was, which suited tourists, locals and local businesses alike. :)

You either meet the noise limit or you try to creep past the marshals and hope you don't get spot-checked. Tanebe touring medallion on my single = no issues.