The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bov acting differently

listy

Yesterday on the way home the bov seemed to not be releasing pressure as it normally does.

It seemed a lot quieter and the release not as long if that makes sense?

I checked all the hoses to the bov and all seem to be fine.

When I revved it from under the bonnet it seemed to be normal.

Both turbos kick in as and when they should and are boosting as normal.

There was fresh oil that has come out of the bov but only a tiny bit and I believe this is nothing to worry about? That's what I understand from a search anyway.

Has me slightly stumped.

Is it possible my bov is on its way out? Or that maybe there is a bit of oil deposit in the ic paperwork that needs removing?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi mate. I had the same issue just the other way around. Only thing I could come up with is the VSV being a little funny. And since I have gone TTC its never happened since. When the issue occurred before TTC there was no difference in performance just my turbos were fluttery and the BOV was VERY loud! lol

Infact I posted a video a while back (notice the difference in sound):

• 4 weeks later...

Thats exactly what mine does, but is loud the majority of the time, and goes quiet every now and then. Recently doing it again.

Whats it like in TTC?

When do the tubbys kick in?

Is there much difference in fuel consumption?

Is it ok to run TTC permanently?

• 10 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I had this exact issue yesterday and wondered if anyone had any thoughts or solutions.

Basically, after a couple of short WOT bursts the BOV started to sound odd, giving off noticeably quieter and shorter releases of pressure. The car continued to drive fine, pulling and boosting correctly as far as I can tell, and after half a mile or so the BOV returned to sounding normal for the rest of the drive. 

I’ve checked for vacuum leaks and found nothing obvious, though haven’t had chance for a thorough look. I did think about just ignoring it as it seems to have resolved itself, but it’s now bugging me a bit! If anyone has any ideas as to what happened then I’d be most grateful. Car has BPU and stock turbos.