The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crazy Fuel Pump Ecu Problem :/

Pred

Hi,

i have a crazy fuel pump ecu problem. if i turn the ignition on, the fpecu gets no signal from the ecu. if i start the car it runs 2 seconds and then it comes off. with 12v fuel pump mod, the engine runs.

i checked all relays, all fuses - all fine.

tested a other fpecu - same problem.

tested a other mainecu - same problem.

rewired the fpc and di wires directly from the mainecu to fpecu - same problem.

errorcodes ? - nothing.

i cant find the problem. have anybody a idea? my last option is the 12v mod but i want to find this failure :/

regards from germany

andi

If both FP ECUs Fail in your car but work in another i would suppose it's either a signal wire gone wrong to the FP ECU or something with the main ECU.

EDIT: Just seen you've rewired it. Try to rewire the whole FP ECU not just the two wires. Maybe it's one of the others not working.

EDIT: Just seen you've rewired it. Try to rewire the whole FP ECU not just the two wires. Maybe it's one of the others not working.

The fpecu have 5 wires:

fpc = signal from ecu

di = diagnostic

+b = 12V

fp = fuel pump

E = earth

all wires are ok, but the mainecu sends no signal to the fpecu :(

I would check all pins and signals going to your Main ECU maybe it doesn't get another feed or signal it needs to run the Pump the right way.

There are pictures with the pin outs of the ECU and a guide what pin should read with ignition on/off/idle ;)

Could be a ground or positive fault somewhere.

Checked all, plugs, ecus etc. I cant found the failure. No error codes... :(

I do now the 12V Mod with a relay. Have anyone a idea which wire from the ecu i can use to "start" the relay? I cant use the wires from the fuel pump ecu, the dont have any signal...

• 11 years later...
On 5/13/2011 at 8:47 AM, Pred said:

Checked all, plugs, ecus etc. I cant found the failure. No error codes... :(

I do now the 12V Mod with a relay. Have anyone a idea which wire from the ecu i can use to "start" the relay? I cant use the wires from the fuel pump ecu, the dont have any signal...

Hello. 

I have this same issue did you get to the bottom of it? 

cheers Anthony 

Im fairly certain it works like this:

The FPC wire (pin 22, block e10 on the Ecu) sends the ‘on’ signal to the FP Ecu. 
The engine Ecu also needs a signal back from the relay (DI, pin 21, block e10 on the Ecu) otherwise it will stop sending the on signal. DI is basically reporting the FP ECU is working.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 9:07 PM, Homer said:

Im fairly certain it works like this:

The FPC wire (pin 22, block e10 on the Ecu) sends the ‘on’ signal to the FP Ecu. 
The engine Ecu also needs a signal back from the relay (DI, pin 21, block e10 on the Ecu) otherwise it will stop sending the on signal. DI is basically reporting the FP ECU is working.

Thanks for that pal. 

Can you shed any light on this?

when starting from cold with no residual fuel pressure am I right in thinking that you turn the ignition on the fuel pump should prime the system then turn off again?  

my problem is there is no fuel pressure on ignition so she coughs and sputters then stalls on that first start up. 
while this happens it does generate a bit of fuel pressure which is kept in the lines. 
second fire up it has enough to get running then it works perfectly. Stop and start it as many times as you want as long as you don’t leave it long enough to loose all the residual fuel pressure. 

any ideas of what signals I should be getting on key (ignition on)?

its just odd it seems to work fine once the engine is rotating over a given rpm

I’ve got an oscilloscope to check the pins 

cheers Antno 

No, it does not prime the system when the ignition is turned on. It runs crank enrichment when you first turn the car over which dumps extra fuel to get the engine started.

You won't get any signal with just the key on because the ECU won't send the 'on' signal to the pump until it is cranking. Great that you have an oscilloscope, the FPC wire should be sending a modulated 0v-5v signal to the FP ecu while it's cranking and running.

However, I'd first check the pump operation is good. Bridge B+ and FP n the diagnostic port and make sure your pump is running consistently. This will also confirm that the EFI relay is sending a signal to the pump ecu.

7 hours ago, Homer said:

No, it does not prime the system when the ignition is turned on. It runs crank enrichment when you first turn the car over which dumps extra fuel to get the engine started.

You won't get any signal with just the key on because the ECU won't send the 'on' signal to the pump until it is cranking. Great that you have an oscilloscope, the FPC wire should be sending a modulated 0v-5v signal to the FP ecu while it's cranking and running.

However, I'd first check the pump operation is good. Bridge B+ and FP n the diagnostic port and make sure your pump is running consistently. This will also confirm that the EFI relay is sending a signal to the pump ecu.

Ah cheers Homer this helps a lot. 

I will check the pump again

• Like 1