The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rocker Cover Gasket - RH/LH?

Attero

I'm on japarts.co.uk right now and I've found this:

http://www.japarts.co.uk/shop/?sh=search&make=10&model=SUPRA&vehicle_iid=1578&search=2

I'm looking for a rocker cover gasket. What exactly am I in need of here? RH? LH? What's that mean? I can only think of right and left hand. And with so much difference in price, I'm wandering how important it is.

I've had a rocker cover gasket leak for longer than I've owned the car now and would like to fix it up as I think it may be the cause of a car jerking (especially when not warmed right up) as the oil might have got into the spark plugs (I'm not overly mechically minded so I may need some enlightenment on this.

That would also make me think... where can I actually get some spark plugs for the N/A Supra? Preferably most similar to the stock ones.

Just bought left and right side gaskets and spark plugs for mine from Mr T through Steve Manley. I went to change the spark plugs and found the well full of oil.OMG now rebuilding the ignition system

How much is that coming to? I wouldn't be surprised if mine was the same. What symptoms were you getting other than oil everywhere?

The car is/was running superbly. I use it for a couple of 200 mile trips a week and even with the turbos spooling now and again it still nearly meets 30 to the gallon. Over the weekend I noticed she did not start as well as normal (normally starts on the 3rd turn) so decided to look at the ignition system. When i lifted the spark plug cover i saw the oil and the coil pack connectors were shot. when i removed the spark plugs they had seen better days so I ordered 6x denso spark plugs, 2 x cam covers joints, 3 x coil pack connectors and a radiator cap and it cost £120 including VAT and delivery.

Edited by jonc (see edit history)

95% of the time, oil in the plug area is due to loose rocker cover bolts! usually the rear 2 are the worst for this and the oil can seep down onto the back of the engine, gearbox.....the 10mm nuts/bolts loosen over time and oil seeps through...i bet yours are loose! toyota had a weak design with these..very common on the mr2s too...just clean the oil up and nip the bolts down...

Guest toy-supra

hi m8 got the same problem did you get your gaskets? i dont understand why there would be such a difference in price for a lh or rh gasket! weird

95% of the time, oil in the plug area is due to loose rocker cover bolts! usually the rear 2 are the worst for this and the oil can seep down onto the back of the engine, gearbox.....the 10mm nuts/bolts loosen over time and oil seeps through...i bet yours are loose! toyota had a weak design with these..very common on the mr2s too...just clean the oil up and nip the bolts down...

Cheers Keron I will check them although now I have ordered the gaskets I will fit them.:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally got around to the task in hand:).

Keron was spot on nearly all the bolts were hand tight:( but the gaskets were rock hard brittle as well so much so they snapped when I was removing them.

One thing I did notice was that everything that is plastic under the cover had perished (clips, coil pack connectors, cable runners etc) so badly thay just broke up as I removed them.

Still job done until the next thing crops up:rolleyes:

• 2 years later...

They're washers with a seal attached to one side not o rings as such.

Think their called seal washers and you need 16 of them

Shown on page EM-5 in the EM WSM PDF

The WSM's are on the home page top left click on repair manuals, there are

separate pdf's for the ge and gte engines

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

I know that's an old thread here, but... I have some leaking from the rocker cover gasket on my N/A, that has as result oil to be leaked in to the 5 & 6 plug holes causing misfire.

I need to change the gasket seal, distributor rotar arm and cap.

I went to my local toyota dealer and they cannot provide me with the rocker gasket, they said it is out of stock and they cannot even order one.

Any alternative?

Does the NA have link pipes between the two cam covers? if so get those as well, they go rock hard

just like the cover gaskets.

Also go easy when doing up the bolts/nuts that hold the covers to the head, they should be done

with small ratchet like 1/4 drive or torque wrench to i think under 10 ft lbs

I know that's an old thread here, but... I have some leaking from the rocker cover gasket on my N/A, that has as result oil to be leaked in to the 5 & 6 plug holes causing misfire.

I need to change the gasket seal, distributor rotar arm and cap.

I went to my local toyota dealer and they cannot provide me with the rocker gasket, they said it is out of stock and they cannot even order one.

Any alternative?

Tcb performance parts will offer OEM gaskets.

To be honest, you could probably call up another Toyota dealer and they will tell you something completely different.