VVTi project

19pjbsupra97

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so i just finalized a deal with a local shop and some friends for a R154 Tranny! so pumped now since i can turn the boost up a little more once she is swapped AGAIN! i will post pics when this happens... i had to order swap parts such as bell housing and the shifter stuff which i ordered straight from Japan through my work!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so i didn't realize i had to cut up and extend the housing myself but its all good now.

so the bell housing came in from Toyota Japan and i got it mock up for my drive shaft

then got my new goodies from Toyota America and so it was time to get going and i miss driving it badly...

didn't take long to get the bell housing on but getting the throw out bearing and release hub on the clutch by myself with basic tools and no vice was challenging lol

but thats where i stand. the tranny is mock up again (like the 5th time) and the shifter housing has been measured and will be getting that built sometime this week with my buddy and should be getting my drive shaft in the next few days.

IIRC that "short" R154 extension is for an early Soarer, and was used with a swan-neck gear lever. I was under the impression that it wiould work on a JZA80 without modification (since the Supra used the Soarer chassis).

Good that it can still be ordered, there were posts on Club NA-T a while back saying that the parts were no longer available from Toyota.

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

IIRC that "short" R154 extension is for an early Soarer, and was used with a swan-neck gear lever. I was under the impression that it wiould work on a JZA80 without modification (since the Supra used the Soarer chassis).

Good that it can still be ordered, there were posts on Club NA-T a while back saying that the parts were no longer available from Toyota.

Toyota is not selling these parts anymore and the housing came up 4 inches short, maybe with a radical shifter it would work but i have the MKIII shifter which is almost straight only with a slight swan neck bend

once i took the leap and cut the housing and started to tack it, things looked up. the shifter extension was the easy piece and my friend and I fab this up ourselves. used my old cross member and bought a new W58 tranny mount and it lined up almost perfect, i tighten it down just right so i didnt have to modify the holes. more pics to come later on today with hopefully the completion to this swap!

• 2 years later...
Guest johnnyly

I saw you have the harness fix,it has 5 connectors,3 go into ECU and 2 from ECU out,looklike the orange and another,The Supra have a big orange connector the VVTI have small connector,my question is do i have to connect those 2 to somewhere in the Supra harness.

Thank you