Nurburgring trip 2009 (23-29 July)

little num

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 - Bignum + Rich - supra = 1 room Ferry booked (Double room)

2 - little num + wife supra = 1 room Ferry booked (Double room)

3 - Andybandit + Nick = 1 room Ferry booked (Double room)

4 -Henk supra = 1 room Ferry booked (Single room)

5 - m5w Supra + Ian Ian supra = 1 room Ferry booked (Double room)

6 - M_life passenger with m5w = 1 room (Double to himself)

7 - Alex_m red supra = 1 room (Double to himself)

8 - Ark and wife supra = 1 room (Double)

9 -

Purple is Deposit taken.

Lime is paid in full.

Blue awaiting payment.

Standby list

1 - Pig + 1 supra = 1 room.

2 -

3 -

Metting us there

1 - j1mb0b1 - Supra TT 6 speed - Own accom + Own Ferry booked.

2 - Ric - Celica GT4 - Own accom + Own Ferry Booked

OK there's going to be a small change of plan for me now.

I am still coming (need the holiday) but will be coming in the daily driver instead of the Supra so will be arranging plenty of passenger rides with you guys. (Andy, I hope you're reading this)

Why? I hear you ask.....

Last year at The Ring I had severe cooling issues which were planned to be solved this week with replacement Radiator (which won't last much longer), Engine Oil & Transmission Oil coolers as well as some other piping re-routing etc.

However, due to my intransigence on the subject of changing the standard nose and losing the active spoiler, plus the fact I have a standard side mount IC, not an FMIC, (which both the garage failed to remember and I forgot to mention... oopps).

In order to now solve the cooling problems will require much more innovation or extra labour or different parts (existing parts already bought & paid for).

So given the:

1. List of events already in the calendar - lack of time
  2. Change of strategy / labour / parts - lack of money

The work will be done later in the year once we've found solutions which satisfy me the owner from a looks perspective and solves my over heating problems.

I don't want to repeat laps like last year with alarms going off within 1/4 of a lap, and the chance of doing some serious damage.

So either I come in the daily driver for the social aspect of the trip and take thousands of photographs or I don't come at all.

I'm falling on the side of coming for a laugh at the moment...

Henk, its no problem to come in the AMG,

1, we can bung some gear in there on the way,

2, it`ll be a right screem doing a lap 5 up:d

3, do you think you will keep up on the way,

4,how much gas will it take,

5, take more piccies

Really its no problem matey.:)

Group rides in the AMG, sounds like a good plan to me! :D

And the person who guesses the fastest lap time gets to take it.....off road, oh yeh;)

Henk, i can`t remember your car overheating last year, or was it when you pulled in after the wobbly wheel moment and your water temps went up, maybe try a flush out/ rad cap and maybe new rad/thermostat.

Edited by bignum (see edit history)

Really sorry to hear this bud !!

But not quite understanding your problem what is over heating ? and why can you not just swop old for new ? to resolve the problem..

I had oil & water nearly off the scale last year, it was damn hot (even in the shade, I was so sun burnt) to be fair and with the new bonnet I've changed the air flow which is affecting the cooling.

I need to replace the SMIC with an FMIC (was not in the original costing plan) and this would mean losing the active spoiler (which I like, had body painted and helicopter taped) and am not willing to lose. A different FMIC which can be fitted in conjunction with the spoiler is required.

The extra labour and parts I just don't have the money for right now and when I do anything to my baby Supra it's perfect and top dollar everytime. With all the planned shows etc. time is also an issue, so I've postponed it for later this year instead and do it all properly, with solutions to what I am unwilling to change my mind about.

And the person who guesses the fastest lap time gets to take it.....off road, oh yeh;)

Henk, i can`t remember your car overheating last year, or was it when you pulled in after the wobbly wheel moment and your water temps went up, maybe try a flush out and new rad/thermostat.

Water was 110+ and oil 120+ within a quarter of a lap and on a spirited drive can even get a little over excited....

Was happening on every lap, even the early morning cool laps we did!

henk me old fruit, problem with going fmic your going to restrict the air flow even more, your better off going chris wilson side mount.

I also had heating probs as we spoke about over the phone, i have since fitted electric fans an still was getting bloody hot, so i pulled the thermastat out to try without and guess what runs just at 80 all the time now.

Yes indeed that was part of the conversation today, but the work that was going to be done this week was costed as follows:

1. Oil Cooler
  2. Transmission Cooler
  3. Bigger Radiator
  4. Electric fans

However, that was based on the assumption (on the garage's part) that I already had an FMIC fitted thus they could use all the premade brackets piping etc.

Of course the reality is that I have standard nose, standard SMIC. There's no room for the parts above already paid for...

So in order to make changes, there were labour and parts increases as well as time..... nearly all standard brackets and piping would need to be customised.

Edit: Remember, part of the issue is that I will not lose the active spoiler or the standard nose otherwise I cannot get over the hump to my garage.... there's only a finite amount of space and because I won't move, they cannot use the standard whip in parts they've used hundreds of times before....

Damn this is so hard to explain in writing without being able to point under the bonnet!

Edited by Henk
Added stuff (see edit history)

i understand what you mean, but a front mount will only make your heating probs worst.

I have a larger rad and also twin 12" fans with no stat fitted. And all is ok, you dont need special brackets to mount your other coolers, if the garage are good they should b able to make some with very little cost involved.

My rad from ebay was £159 posted and its huge all alloy and fits snug as.

Dont be ripped off henk with special brackets and other stuff they are going to try and charge you for. think my rad is a 60m core and really dos work very well.

Weird that they reckon ALL that work is required, as I said to you on Saturday mate.

Surely a basic coolant flush and a check that the water pump is working properly would be number one activity (cheap, basic, usual first lines of enquiry) - if it comes out all clogged up then chances are you'll have fixed the problem.

The choice of intercooler won't affect the oil/engine temp, except like James says a FMIC would restrict airflow to the rad, so you'd be worse off with a FMIC.

My oil cooler is on the passenger side pod, I don't think there is anything in the way there on a stock car, did they look at that side for fotting options or just assume they could mount it where the standard SMIC goes?

I have a standard, THIN OEM rad on mine (with the FMIC in the way!) and don't suffer temp problems and it's generating 50% more power, and thus ~50% more heat than yours. I'm suspicious of "NEEDING" all these things they've mentioned; I suspect what you've got isn't performing to it's ful potential, and therefore although junking it all for upgraded versions would fix the problem, it may not be necessary - you could find a few basic actions gets it all sorted again.

I know you don't do loads of laps each year, but it'd still be good to get your Supe there if we can (even though I'm not going!) Bring it up here one weekend and let me/us have a fiddle to see if anything can be done without investing megabucks?

Edited by SteveR (see edit history)

Oh no, don't worry it's not a question of rip off, it's more me being very specific about what I do and don't want and because of the fact we both forgot that I was standard nose, with active spoiler, that the planned changes weren't possible.

So to change things the way i want, I did not want it rushed or compromised, so I cancelled the work this week and put it on hold.

It's way complicated because of the bonnet change. I also have a couple of places that need hard pipes, air flow changed.

Don't worry guys, I know my options but I am very careful with money and I don't like unplanned changes, so I felt it was better to postpone and do it right first time, rather than compromise.

Edit: I never wanted an FMIC for all the reasons above, stuck to my guns about that.

Edited by Henk
forgot to add... (see edit history)

I didn't mean you were potentilly being ripped off, more their unfamiliarity with the Supra combined with your.... lack of deeper mechanical knowledge (I'm hardly one to talk, but still), could lead to assumptions being made and unecessary work being done/money being spent as a result - see my edit here:

I have a standard, THIN OEM rad on mine (with the FMIC in the way!) and don't suffer temp problems and it's generating 50% more power, and thus ~50% more heat than yours. I'm suspicious of "NEEDING" all these things they've mentioned; I suspect what you've got isn't performing to it's ful potential, and therefore although junking it all for upgraded versions would fix the problem, it may not be necessary - you could find a few basic actions gets it all sorted again.

henk i dont care what you drive to germany as long as your there as my body gaurd.

:yeahthat:

Henk, there's no way you can fit an FMIC and keep the active spoiler 'active'. It will have to be fixed in the down position. If your temps are too high, you've probably got a coolant problem, which a new rad _might_ fix. You should be able to go flat out for 20+ minutes at a time without getting over 100 degrees (Mine can). Even _with_ an FMIC mine only makes 95 degrees. Oh, and I recommend keeping the viscous fan too - it can shift a hell of a lot of air - more than most electric fans and is a really trick bit of equipment.

The oil temps you quote are fine, and perfectly expected with your setup - no need to worry until at least 125 degrees, assuming you have good quality, fresh oil and filter.

The transmisson fluid cooler is probably only listed because on an automatic, a transmission cooler is built into the main rad...but not in aftermarket applications.

If I were you, I'd have a chat with another garage like Toyoda Tech (tell him I sent you) or Toyota GT for a second opinion.

Edited by Ark (see edit history)

I agree with everything said by BigNum, LittleIckleNum, Ark, SteveR etc. etc.

It is precisely because I agree that I cancelled the work this morning :)

I've re-read my posts and I really did not explain things that well, hence you all agree with me :)

My ideal solution is active spoiler working, standard nose still there and replacement radiator (because it is on it's last legs and I'm sick of finding leaks) with 2 electric fans (because the bonnet change meant cutting down the viscous shroud), and oil cooler and transmission cooler somewhere under there. In addition I need better airflow to the air intake which had to be bodged because of the bonnet and a couple of pipes replaced that age has gotten the better of. (It is after all a 1993 car)

So the long and short of it is that I don't want an FMIC but they only suggested that as an immediate compromise to create the room for additional parts so that we could still do it all by Thursday. Since I don't want to rush, spend excessively or fit parts I don't want I cancelled the work.

I don't need to go elsewhere for the work, nor can I because it was this week I had planned free for the work, I have no other time that fits in with my work, I am perfectly happy to wait and do it later in the year with better planning and correct parts. Unlike you petrol heads I am a patient guy :)

Oh and IckleNum.... not sure even I am big enough to protect you from all the Ringers you will piss off while we're there :)

It is very touching to see how quickly people come out to help advise and make themselves available, I love this club!!!!

Not going in the Supra is no big deal, it just means I'll take more photos and will increase photographic revenue :)

viscous fans are good when they are new, mine was 15 years old and did bugger all mine took longer for it to get upto speed i was where i needed to go. I did price a new 1 and found it alot more exspensive then going electric, plus since new bigger rad i couldnt get my cowling back in so it was sucking air from all over, if you go bigger rad then your cowling will not fit i gaurantee.

Homer not long had a problem with heating and turned out to be stat was naff.