The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Chevy v8 Project - next phase

harley-jm

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The customer provided 2 bonnets.

The bonnet we used was a plain carbon bonnet. We had to cut out the main hole in the bonnet to clear the engine and air box, which meant custom vents had to be molded in over the hole, plus the addition of a pro-charger meant we had to further modify the bonnet to suit.

I try to dig out a photo of the bonnet of how it came in.

Regards

Albert

Cheers for the comments.

Thanks again to Albert and the guys at Knightracer - great job and patience with lots of things changing as we went along. Then again you can see that as they beat me to it and put there own info up on the post.;)

I thought there would be mixed views on the bonnet (the scoop is off a 60s Corvette). I wanted to add something external that reflected the chevy heritage of the motor and to clear the carb hat. I love it!!! but hey, each to their own... The original bonnet wasnt salvageable.

Still plenty to do as I have been collecting parts off the forum as they come up including:

- cusco 6 point cage

- gibson retrimmed seats

- nice set of UK brakes with uprated discs

- facelift rear lights

- Innovate air fuel meter/set up

- momo steering wheel - the one in the pics is in the bin!

Already added TRD diff and drop links.

Will shortly be adding another borla straight through silencer box as it is just too loud at the mo but I will also add an electronic exhaust cut out for when I want some fun (I love the sound and throttle response of a motor with an open exhaust!)

Ive still got the standard prop so I'm going to put a safety loop in and change the prop if it breaks.

Still have to fit the intercooler and hardpipes to the procharger. Also need to change the fuel system and carb before I can run the procharger. Will need to mod the bonnet further once all the pipework is sorted. Im scratching my head about where to put the air intake as it is at the rear of the procharger and over the exhaust. I dont want to put another hole in the bonnet or it will be like wet paper...

I was also thinking of changing the fuel tank for a fuel cell.

Has anyone out there done the same and what brand/size did they use (it is a street car so needs to hold a reasonable volume).

I had a two-step and boost retard and rev control units in the garage off an old project so they will go on.

What fuel do people running turbos with lots of boost run? (ignoring race fuel at £5-6 gallon or whatever it was last time I bought some).

Will post a video up when it is all sorted.

Cheers

Paul

I was also thinking of changing the fuel tank for a fuel cell.

Has anyone out there done the same and what brand/size did they use (it is a street car so needs to hold a reasonable volume).

I had a two-step and boost retard and rev control units in the garage off an old project so they will go on.

What fuel do people running turbos with lots of boost run? (ignoring race fuel at £5-6 gallon or whatever it was last time I bought some).

Will post a video up when it is all sorted.

Cheers

Paul

Nice work so far bud, most people run V power that run lots of boost.

Whats the score with tuning this, is it still a carb? then is it just a case of somebody that knows what they are doing tweeking the carb or do you have some sort of engine management to run the fueling?

Cheers Jamie

I will just be running a plain old school carb to start with. Rather than messing around I will buy one already customised to run in a blow-through application and I will need a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator to increase fuel pressure under boost (1psi per 1 lb of boost). Some of the american car drag racers are running sophisticated fuel injection set ups but most still run a simple carb but I suppose they dont have to worry so much about transition and all that - it is just about WOT? I was planning to use the wide-band set-up I bought off you to help with the tuning;) but I will get it professionally sorted as well as I dont want to risk running lean under boost [sHOCK][/sHOCK]

This may be heresy but when I have run cars in the past swapping between a really well sorted carb and fuel injection I am sure the throttle response seemed better with the carb although across the entire rev range and in transition the fuel injection was always smoother? Maybe that is complete b******s and the fuel injection wasnt set up optimally but that was my experience. I guess it is something like those guys Ive seen lately running bike carbs on car motors.

Cheers

Paul

Cheers Jamie

I will just be running a plain old school carb to start with. Rather than messing around I will buy one already customised to run in a blow-through application and I will need a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator to increase fuel pressure under boost (1psi per 1 lb of boost). Some of the american car drag racers are running sophisticated fuel injection set ups but most still run a simple carb but I suppose they dont have to worry so much about transition and all that - it is just about WOT? I was planning to use the wide-band set-up I bought off you to help with the tuning;) but I will get it professionally sorted as well as I dont want to risk running lean under boost [sHOCK][/sHOCK]

This may be heresy but when I have run cars in the past swapping between a really well sorted carb and fuel injection I am sure the throttle response seemed better with the carb although across the entire rev range and in transition the fuel injection was always smoother? Maybe that is complete b******s and the fuel injection wasnt set up optimally but that was my experience. I guess it is something like those guys Ive seen lately running bike carbs on car motors.

Cheers

Paul

paul give us a call left message the other day...would be worth you talikng to my mate,as he uses the blow through 850dp carb on his procharger porsche,(and another freind is a mapper (tweenierob)between them they set the car up)dont know what size you would use as the charger is smaller on yours...car looks ok...im sure it looked better when it left mine...lol only kidding looks real sweet...love the bonnet...speak soon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1shrj...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuVJc...eature=related

Edited by rxv8 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

looks nice. but im not so sure about the central bit of the vent. i would have left that out.

Dont like the hole in the bonnet. looks a bit silly, If you could have covered it over with a small dome that would have looked much more menacing. Rather than "oh look at that silly hole... oh its a shiny piece of pipework" it would be "oh look at that funky dome... i onder whats under there..."

Guigsy

I kind of know what you mean.....

We made the hole in the bonnet simply so I could shut it! The bonnet will need cutting about again once I finish fitting the hardpipes, so I will decide what to do with it then. You can see in the picks it is just mocked up as there isnt even room between the procharger and bonnet to fit a pipe/hose onto it

I managed to avoid the in-laws over Xmas by disappearing into the garage.

Given the pics I saw of what JamieP did to props/diffs on his old red car, I decided to weld up a prop safety loop in stainless

I also welded in two small straight through stainless silencers to bring the noise level down a bit. I bought an electronic cut-out off a member so I put that in before the last 2 boxes so I can enjoy the sound when I want to :eyebrows:

Pics.

prop safety loop.jpg

exhaust 1.jpg

exhaust 2.jpg

cutout.jpg

Made up mounts for oil cooler. I had this off another project and it also runs a fan.

I wanted to use the procharger intercooler but it was a right pain as it exited where the DS frame rail was.[ANGRY][/ANGRY] After some head scratching, I just cut a hole in the end of the frame and welded in a piece of steel tubing. The tubing was too thick to roll a bead into so I welded a bead around each end to hold the hoses on. Sorted! You might also recognise the strut brace I cut up to mount the intercooler!

I got a cheap universal ali hardpipe kit of e-bay for £60 which I thought was a bargin (polished ali with 2x90 degree bends; 2x45 2x30 and 2xstraight with the hose connectors although they are not great quality). These dont have a bead on the basis you are going to cut them up. I am rolling beads on them and its is coming together nicely!

oil cooler.jpg

oil c rear.jpg

intercooler.jpg

DSC01796.jpg

intercooler frame.jpg

Hi Jamie

Once I have finished the hard-pipes I am going to MOT it and start using it although I am not really in a rush given recent weather.

I have bought a different carb and need to buy a boost referenced regulator and upgraded fuel pump. Once I have fitted those and a return fuel line I can put a belt on the procharger and it should be good to go! I will obviously need to get it tuned though.....

It was overheating which was cured by fitting a header tank where the thermostat housing was so that the fill/bleed point is the highest point. Also made up a simple strut brace as it had to contour around the header tank. Made a little ali box with a perspex lid to relocate the MSD ignition out of the way and to keep it dry.

I couldnt get the procharger to mount solidly so I made up a spacer out of a block of ali - now rock solid.

Added some UK brakes. That is not very interesting but I was still amazed at how much better they are than Jap spec.

The trouble is I enjoy tinkering with it too much. Someone is going to have to show me how to drive it when I'm done!

P

frame intercooler 2.jpg

engine 3.jpg

front brakes.jpg

engine 2.jpg

• 2 months later...