The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VVTi - A discussion

Guest Terry S

Guest Usmann A

IIRC, the Vvti, has 3 pulses off the inlet cam, so its like the resolution is greater in the map, I know that the cam hall sensor triggers everytime cylinder no1 is at TDC. so it refrences it for ign and seq fueling, but the 3 pulses? Possible that wasted spark ign. triggers .., im unsure, possible for vvti? or just greater speed definition of the motor?

Any hoo, good stuff tel,that rebuild was quick ... :devil:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a bit of an assumption, but it suggests that the stock rev limit could be raised to the same level by pluggin in VVTi bits.

How do the stock cam profiles compare, VVTi to non? Do you know whether Toyota changed the valve spring and tappet stack height for the VVTi? Are the cam base circles the same? Any idea if the valvetrain was lightened in the VVTi? (Long shot, I know).

If the stack height and profiles are similar, then maybe VVTi springs could run in a non-VVTi to make te valvetrain safe up to 7200.

I have been told that the non VVTI engine can also rev to 7200, but without upgrading the cams you would gain nothing, the basemaps on the AEM have ignition cut at 7200 and then fuel cut at 7400.

With a built head people rev them too 8000 and higher, not so sure I would like to try that though.

:respekt:

I can't post the whole thing because it's copyrighted material.

But this sums it up really:

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/stuff/VVTi.gif

Slight :hijack:

John, that document certainly is a good find. I have most of the non-VVT-i related documents on a CD but AFAIK "official" technical info on the VVT-i is pretty rare. Its even rarer to find someone posting up previously unsees documents on here these days.

If you can't post it all, can you tell us where you got that from? I'm still amazed than an engine of the VVT-i Supra's vintage has an infinitely variable cam phaser on it.

TBH, I think we need to start getting some VVTi info and just go public with it...

I've got things such as wiring diagrams for them.... and if others are willing to post info to help out the greater good then yes I would go public as well, but I have a real problem with people just sponging info and not sharing bits they have (not aimed at you john, because I've seen how much you have put on your site)

Gav

How the bloody hell is a technical description of the VVTi system copyright material?

Why not retype it and pass it off as your own? I'm sure that'd get around any potential accusations of copying stuff.

-Ian

Oh no, hang on, here we go:

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/article.html?&A=1283

See the section headed "The Advantage of VVT-i " for where JohnA copied the text from :) Still don't understand the copyright issue going on there, hey ho.

Edit - shame they got the redline wrong, it's 7200rpm as Terry has found out, not 6800 which is the non-VVTi limit.

-Ian

I've been a member of AutoSpeed from the beginning, and I've got all these articles in PDFs (they've now discontinued this practice and you can only access them online)

It is copyrighted, very clearly.

I also find it immoral to post their work, since the price of admission is so low. They deserve to have more people joining in, they're not a ripoff setup.

That's why I've got no Autospeed articles on my site, most other material I see as a 'free game' since it originated by the manufacturers, or from expired magazine articles.

It isn't exactly a technical article, more like a description, and as I said that extract contains the essense of that question.

I wonder if the 'members' area counts as public or not.

What do the mods think?

Maybe they could ask AutoSpeed if they agree for their 'Supra MKIV' PDFs (I've got five here) to be accessible to members here, in exchange for a banner or something.

Fair deal perhaps, and an ad for Knowling's book won't go amiss, it's pretty good actually.

What do you think?

I wonder if the 'members' area counts as public or not.

What do the mods think?

Maybe they could ask AutoSpeed if they agree for their 'Supra MKIV' PDFs (I've got five here) to be accessible to members here, in exchange for a banner or something.

Fair deal perhaps, and an ad for Knowling's book won't go amiss, it's pretty good actually.

What do you think?

Sounds like a plan!

Could be made available in the downloads area.

It's a good idea I think.

Members here get more value, and AutoSpeed get some advertising, which is quite relevant as well (cheap, too).

Don't know if it's Branners or the mods who can chase this up, but it may not even take more than a few emails to sort out.

Straight swap perhaps.