6 spd conversion how too

dude

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mate the gearbox to the engine making sure not to trap any wires, this is a heavy gearbox, we use a transmission jack (no pics) but you will struggle to put this in without a Jack, make sure you put all the bolts in, Robs auto was missing 3 of the large 17mm bolts so I have had to use some spare drive shaft allen bolts.

002.jpg

before you fit the shifter and bolt up the rear box mount we need to decide what to do with the wiring loom from the auto, we need to use 4 wires, reverse lights and starter inhibiter, apart from that I like to cut the plugs off and heat shrink the ends of the wires, we use the speed sensor plug as is. If you dont cut the plugs off you may struggle to keep the loom neat as the box takes up so much room in the tunnel there is hardly any room for it. I will show which wires to cut tommorrow.

Edited by dude (see edit history)

Ok in the pic the red and yellow arrowed wires need to go to the reverse switch, it is on the passenger side of the box at the back and will have about 8" of wire with a plug on it that stays on the box, you will prob have to cut off the toyota plug and use connectors, it does not matter which orientation you put the wires on the reverse light will still work.

004 arrows.jpg

007.jpg

Edited by dude (see edit history)

Just a note to add: The speed sensor on the Tiptronic gearbox is completely different to the standard auto box, and this method doesn't work.

As soon as we do a tiptronic I will let you guys know how to get round it!!!! You may well need the man VVTI engine loom.

As soon as we do a tiptronic I will let you guys know how to get round it!!!! You may well need the man VVTI engine loom.

I think mine has been resolved. Just waiting for the car to get started to see if the speedo works. I got a modified manual na vvti loom from Jody that linked the gearbox to the engine loom, and it appears to be the solution.

• 2 weeks later...
I think mine has been resolved. Just waiting for the car to get started to see if the speedo works. I got a modified manual na vvti loom from Jody that linked the gearbox to the engine loom, and it appears to be the solution.

Nope, it was a lie... still no speedo.

Could you not do this to a uk or jap spec as a safety feature?

Yes easily dude, you would just be able to use the stock toyota clutch pedal switch for a us model and run the wires to it. Would be ideal for those who don't know how to drive;);););)......................and women!!!!:blink: