The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aero roof part removal

Andy C

Hi,

I've just managed to replace the stripped centre dead bolt on my Aero roof without removing any of the weather strips and thought it might be of interest as you can also use this to gain access to all the bolts in the roof. This is how I did it;

You can see what the problem was from the photos; after years of usage the thread had stripped. Photo 1 shows the new assembly, photo 2 shows the difference between old and new! I got the new lock from Toyota hence it was a whopping £60.

1) Firstly remove the plastic trim cover from the centre bolt (the one with the "open/shut" on it). This is done by twisting it 90% so you can remove it without breaking the tabs.

2) With a wide flat screwdriver VERY gently start to lever the headlining away from one end (photo 3) whilst very importantly (and not in the photo) holding the plastic trim back with a second screwdriver in opposition to the first. If you do this slowly enough and carefully enough you should be able to lift the whole headlining out from under the trim without damaging it. As the headlining material is made from a type of foam covered board, you can tell when it's starting to tear - stop and readjust the position of the screwdrivers. It took me 5 minutes just to do this so don't rush it.

3) Once the headlining is free of the plastic trim, insert the same flat screwdriver under the headlining and remove the plastic fixing lugs from the roof. Do not attempt to pull them as they will rip off the headlining! (see photo 4). I found inserting the screwdriver between the bottom of the lug and the roof itself worked best.

4) Once you have done this you can get access to the underside of the roof (to replace any of the bolts) (see photo5).

5) When you have replaced the bolt(s) with a 10mm spanner; press all the lugs back into the roof leaving the headlining just above the plastic trim.

6) The refitting process is removal in reverse (photo 6). Hold the plastic trim back with one screwdriver whilst running the headlining back with another. Tip; I found it much easier to start at both ends independently and meet in the middle.

I'm off for a very smug pint.

Andy

New lock assy.JPG

New and old.JPG

Begin removal.JPG

Dont do this.JPG

Access.JPG

Headlining replacement.JPG

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

did this today and this thread helped me a hell of alot how ever all i did was pop out the 4 yellow clips and used a 10mm ring and open spanner on the rear 2 bolts and a 10mm socket and rachet on the front 2 bolts, thanks for the thread Andy C you made me do this job very grateful cheers mate :thumbs: :D

Edited by supra steveo (see edit history)

• 12 years later...

As an update many years in the future. The assembly from Toyota is part 63203-14100. RHD/LHD is the same. $83-$110 depending on the dealership, there were 3 in America when I ordered mine. Took about 30min to do.

4 clips on the front of the roof.

The open/close round part is a twist type, just twist with a little pressure and it will eventually line up and pop off. It's the shape of an o with an I in it, so you're lining up the clips from the I portion. Broke mine, super glue to fix.

• 1 month later...