The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Exhaust dB register

Homer

Interesting stuff. Sound testing is quite a difficult one. You've got a few variations to consider like quality of the sound tester, what revs you do the test at, if its windy, how far away and which angle from the exhaust, etc. We normally test them between 4500-5000rpm approx, and they should get quieter the higher the revs. Try testing one of them again at 5000rpm instead of 4000rpm and see what happens.

Steve L's 3" twin box system on his single turbo 3" dp/mp was tested at Oulton Park with a calibrated sound tester, 4500rpm and registered 100db in the garage which normally makes them louder. And the same exhaust on jaymdee car is 2db louder with I presume 2.5" decat pipes and stock turbo which will make it quieter.

Hope that helps a bit.

Agree completely Paul :thumbs: I wasn't taking the measurements with a ruler and protractor or anything like that :D It was just by eye from the exhaust exit, but they were hopefully consistent. There was no wind on the day, but I do think the surrounding buildings played a bit of a factor, which is why we tried to move the cars away from them a bit to do the readings.

The meter is not a calibrated professional one, just a £90 one from Maplins. That said it has been pretty much spot on when compared to the readings taken at the track days - quite a few of us have used it to test beforehand.

This thread is only meant as a guideline, and of course results will vary due to conditions they were thaken in. Will do a few more at Japfest if it's not too windy/noisy to see how they compare.

Concerning the RPM the measure should be taken at, is it still 3/4 max rpm at the track days?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Thread Darryl;

shame not to see a single "single" supra quieter than 100db at 4K :(

I know mine wil be as quieter than than and as quiet as singles can be, but remember these reading are at just 50cm(!).

Concerning the RPM the measure should be taken at, is it still 3/4 max rpm at the track days?

yes

Agree completely Paul :thumbs: I wasn't taking the measurements with a ruler and protractor or anything like that :D It was just by eye from the exhaust exit, but they were hopefully consistent. There was no wind on the day, but I do think the surrounding buildings played a bit of a factor, which is why we tried to move the cars away from them a bit to do the readings.

The meter is not a calibrated professional one, just a £90 one from Maplins. That said it has been pretty much spot on when compared to the readings taken at the track days - quite a few of us have used it to test beforehand.

This thread is only meant as a guideline, and of course results will vary due to conditions they were thaken in. Will do a few more at Japfest if it's not too windy/noisy to see how they compare.

Yes mate 3/4 max rpm.

• 2 months later...

Out of interest how far away from the exhaust are you testing? Got access to a meter from work and thought I'd give it a go:)

Edit !!! Should have read the thread properly. ' All readings taken at 50cm from the exhaust at 45 degrees right of the exit angle '

Sorry.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If anybody has a db gauge and wants to test mine. Im in ilford, I'm pretty sure is the loudest I've come across soo far, in fact soo loud I'll be changing it all over for a completely different system very soon. Gt4094 with Custom 4" all the way to 2 back boxes

My other sup is a tt bpu decatted and Hks hi power, nice and quiet

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...