The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why on earth would you buy a Supra?

marc_p

As a teenager, at around 15 years old, my best mates (at that time) dad had a mk3 turbo. He sold it and bought a '94 UK spec supra, which was only a year old at the time.

I remember being in the back of it, when he took us for a spin up the road, and it just felt blisteringly fast - and looked epic too.

From then on, that's the car I aspired to own, but even as a young adult, it was always out of reach financially.

I moved out and bought my first house at 21 - in 2001, with my now wife. I've always been a car nut, which I think was helped by my dad being a panel beater and sprayer for almost all of his working life, so I spent a lot of time around motors, and helping him at weekends.

I bought an mr2 turbo, in 2004, which was the first 'seriously quick' car I'd owned. I'd had my fair share of old school fords (xr2, xr3i, v6 mk1 mondeo), a couple of minis, an astra gte, and an ae92 corolla gti.

The mr2 was a great fun toy, that I played around with, but always pined after a supra. Finally, in 2013, I was in a position to be able to buy one. I think I got in just in time, before they started to climb in price!

Since then, I've modified it quite a bit, and turned it into my vision of my ideal supra. I don't get to drive it often, but I find myself grinning like a Cheshire cat after a blat, and it still makes me look back as I walk away from it.

/QUOTE]

Hello brother :)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do kind of agree

Ive drove into car meets where there has been exotic cars, gtr's and alot higher end cars in front of me, yet all the attention goes to the supra

I always thought to myself in those situations, why lol

Personally i would never pay current market price for a supra, i would rather a gtr if i was in the buying position again

But im happy with mine, its silly fast and gets all the attention wherever it goes

But one thing that does my nut at every car show or meet, is the only things that people ask are, is it auto or manual? how much bhp?

This was where I was coming from in the 'why?', the current price points just seem so high.

Marc most of us members generally have one daily and try and get the best we can dependant on house family commitments.We then want a bit of fun in our lives and my fun in the early days was a Honda Fireblade. But as I was getting older Chris suggested we get a father son project. I am not a great lover of modern stuff so settled on a nice Supra as it was always one of my favourites. What's been spent since is between me and the bank manager. But I still cannot think of a car that gives you as much attention and fun for your money. If I had a stable of cars similar to yours then the supra would maybe take a back seat but then again you have to have something old and classy in your life, well that's what I tell the wife ;)

Yeah, but I'd trade them all in a second for a life that wasn't quite so lonely, all the work certainly makes sure I don't have time to get out and meet someone, well that and my own stubbornness :D.

For me it's just that iconic car. Like afew have said i can't quite put my finger on what it actually is. I know that I can't park it up without turning around and looking back at it. It's always getting looks from people and when I've been out to meets it's always got attention and I'm always getting questions. Like Berg has said though, it's always the same questions 😂

You all do realise I still like the Supra? If I sell mine it would be getting replaced by a standard one.

I'm just interested to know what draws new buyers to them now, especially with the climbing prices, a lot of us had the days where nice clean low mileage TT6s were £10k, those days have well and truly gone, now they are starting to approach £20k.

Terrible reply dude :D LHD corvette no good, and monaro/vxr8 are ok but just to heavy, handle like tanks.

I may regret saying this :D, but have a drive of mine on Dragonball, after having a LHD manual for a little while, it's surprising how much more natural it feels, especially with your more 'agricultural' gearboxes.

I may regret saying this :D, but have a drive of mine on Dragonball, after having a LHD manual for a little while, it's surprising how much more natural it feels, especially with your more 'agricultural' gearboxes.

I've had a couple of LHD cars, M5 was handy leaning on the door going round roundabouts. That's the only thing I can give to LHD :D

You all do realise I still like the Supra? If I sell mine it would be getting replaced by a standard one.

I'm just interested to know what draws new buyers to them now, especially with the climbing prices, a lot of us had the days where nice clean low mileage TT6s were £10k, those days have well and truly gone, now they are starting to approach £20k.

I know what you mean they wouldn't be at the top of my list with the current prices (apart from a under the radar Auto TT)

Keron has a very nice looking facelift NA 5 speed and it's a shade under £10k, not sure who buys it, but I think in a market climbing over the last couple of years people perhaps think they can't lose as it'll always be worth the same or perhaps even more? A few K more and you can own an ISF, V8, throttle blipping on paddle down shift, 8 (is it?) speed gearbox yada yada.

A lot to buy and a lot to restore/refurbish I see a lot being bought just sitting there barely being used.

Back on the forum for a day and I'm already a c**t :rlol:

Oh and by the way, they cost no more than what most singles go for http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-58-AUDI-A6-5-0-RS6-AVANT-TFSI-QUATTRO-5D-AUTO-700-BHP-/172505417567?hash=item282a1fc75f:g:idcAAOSwUKxYjUYx, you can get them for the same price as a TT6 if you look hard enough.

Dick

Running and maintenance costs are literally ASTRONOMIC. I have a customer with one, I just love the guy phoning me..... :)

Running and maintenance costs are literally ASTRONOMIC. I have a customer with one, I just love the guy phoning me..... :)

Oh really? To be honest, I've never properly looked into them, doesn't surprise me though, is it a decent thing to drive when it does work? Always struck me as one of the best all rounders you can get.

Its about what you like... If you like one brand and blend of tea then you stick with it despite other people saying there are "better" brands/blends on the market, yeah you may dabble from time to time but at the end of the day you end up going to the same brand you started with.

Same thing with cars...

If you like a particular blend of features (looks, power, blah, blah) then you will stick with it.

Just because there are "better" cars on the market does not mean someone or you will like that "blend" of car for long or ever.

I personally think the GTR is soulless, heavy and boring to drive, the power is fun but then it gets old real quick. I like raw fast cars.

The Supra is older and therefore more raw and hard to drive quickly and gives you much better sense of achievement when driving quickly.

My Track Supra is the rawest car I have ever driven and I love it, hell it does not even have a brake servo... (that's lots of fun on circuits with cold brakes).