The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Speedo Not Working ? (Another thread)

Mugello

Hey all,

First of all would like to say i purchased my first supra today :D Its a 3.0L Twin Turbo Auto ;) Nice all round car just needs a little TLC.

So, after reading and searching a lot about the forum for speedo related problems im still not much clearer. I should explain mine is j-spec but has been converted to mph and miles (odo). And the problem, the speedo (mph) isn’t working (all other gauges work fine) so where to go from here ? Im a wear that mine has a small box behind the dash (speedo) to convert the km to mph which has probly come lose. But anything else it could be ? Possibly a fuse ? Speedo cable ?

Any info is great :thumbs:

P.S. - Be kind im new ;)

Hi, welcome to the club. The Speedo could be a couple of things, you are going to need to pop the dash off and have a look at connections for the Speedo connector, it is probably loose somewhere, or the unit is caputz. To be honest it is all easily fixed as long as you are happy to get a screwdriver out. If you search for hecklers dash removal thread and for a thread for fitting speedo converter you will be able to see how it all comes apart, and more importantly goes back together!

Hi, welcome to the club. The Speedo could be a couple of things, you are going to need to pop the dash off and have a look at connections for the Speedo connector, it is probably loose somewhere, or the unit is caputz. To be honest it is all easily fixed as long as you are happy to get a screwdriver out. If you search for hecklers dash removal thread and for a thread for fitting speedo converter you will be able to see how it all comes apart, and more importantly goes back together!

Thanks im glad to be apart of the club :D Wanted in for years :p

Right i see, well im going to remove all dash panels tomorrow and look for lose connection/not wired wires and see what i find. No chance of it being a fuse then ?

It's rather unlikely. I would put my money on faulty km/h mph converter

I see....

Well i removed all the dash today and here are some pics of what i found.

This is the current converter box (black thing)

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6617/20120328115039.jpg

All the wires are connected but this pink one below is from the odo plug and is cut and goes nowhere ????? :( Is this normal ??

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/9339/20120328115111.jpg

And here is the back of the speedo....

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2137/20120328115024.jpg

As always any help is great ! :)

Wiring looks ok, the white connector in the second photo looks like the one that is supposed to be plugged into the back of the odometer. If all the connections are secure and the wire connections are good then I would talk to Jurgen at jm imports for a convertor, whatever he uses seems to work well. I would to be safe, remove the whole dial cluster (taking photos of what goes where), check the soldering on the back is ok, sometimes it gets a bit rusty, clean what needs cleaning and then re-assemble, it could be something minor and I would want to make sure before getting out the wallet.

Wiring looks ok, the white connector in the second photo looks like the one that is supposed to be plugged into the back of the odometer. If all the connections are secure and the wire connections are good then I would talk to Jurgen at jm imports for a convertor, whatever he uses seems to work well. I would to be safe, remove the whole dial cluster (taking photos of what goes where), check the soldering on the back is ok, sometimes it gets a bit rusty, clean what needs cleaning and then re-assemble, it could be something minor and I would want to make sure before getting out the wallet.

Yes that is correct, what about the pink wire coming from it that has been cut and just left ???

The pink wire..... Mmm. No idea mate, i think mine is connected. Put a connection in you can plug in and pull out easily and see what it does.

:(

Tbh it does seem odd that its not connected to anything.....

I also dont understand the last part above :/

From my research i think the pink wire does need to be cut, maybe yours is cut futher back mate :) Infact if you look in that second pic you can see the pink wire joining another wire ;)

So.... UPDATE !!!

I will check all other wiring and joints tomorrow, and providing there all good its more than likely a faulty converter.....