The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Guide and Model Differences Chart

mawby

Here is my revised version of Aerotop Dave's Guide to the Supra and his Model Differences Chart. I have converted them both to PDF format to make them more web friendly. The Model Differences Chart is attached to this post and contains details of which models and variants have which features.

The club would like to thank Dave for his efforts in creating the original documents.

The mkiv Supra Owners Club - Model Differences Chart.pdf

The mkiv Supra Owners Club - Guide to the Supra.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest mark poulton

I Have Just Read The Guide To The Supra Models And Very Informative It Is To, It Must Have Taken You Ages-- A Credit To You, Cheers.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Bobsarny

Ill print out both of the pdf files and carry them with me whilst viewing potentials, excellant info for someone like me cant thank all involved enough.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest crossfade

the pdf's were great have just finished reading them and have made up my mind to get the 3.0 na but i would like to know what mpg i can expect to get for both heavy and light foot action with thanks

Crossfade

Looks like a lot of hard work. A few comments:

SZ-R aerotop? Surely not? The whole point of the SZ-R is that it's manual only and lightweight, so why would they make a heavy auto aerotop?

Also active spoiler and fold in wing-mirrors are options on the SZ-R, cause I've got them.

Hope this helps

:looney:

Looks like a lot of hard work. A few comments:

SZ-R aerotop? Surely not? The whole point of the SZ-R is that it's manual only and lightweight, so why would they make a heavy auto aerotop?

Also active spoiler and fold in wing-mirrors are options on the SZ-R, cause I've got them.

Hope this helps

:looney:

I've mentioned the aerotop thing a couple of times before (well actually to anyone who will listen and then ignore me ;)) mine and a few others are SZs only. I too thought that the SZ-R was the spritely version.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks very much for the hard work that went into the supra guides!! Thanks to them I didn't feel like such a newb when viewing Supras.

Just found myself a beautiful black auto GZ TT with everything I wanted on it and I pick it up on Saturday.... Can't wait!!!!!!!! :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Quick typo to point out.

Unusually the turbos are sequential - usually with a twin turbocharged setup a V6 engine is used with one turbocharger feeding one back of cylinders..

feeding one bank of cylinders

Not being pedantic, just trying to help improve it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Miller95Supra

So if "N/A" is SZ, SZ-R & SZ-R Aertop,

And "TT" is RZ, RZ-S, RZ-S & RZ Aertop. . .

THEN WHAT ARE THE "Single Turbo" Models called?

~ ZZ Top? (-:

--------------

(seriously though, anyone know?)

So if "N/A" is SZ, SZ-R & SZ-R Aertop,

And "TT" is RZ, RZ-S, RZ-S & RZ Aertop. . .

THEN WHAT ARE THE "Single Turbo" Models called?

~ ZZ Top? (-:

--------------

(seriously though, anyone know?)

There not, all single Turbo's are modified from TT's so there original model code would be as you have quoted above not forgetting the GZ as well.

Or they are Na-T conversions and the same would apply

• 4 weeks later...

In regard to the JDM:

* The 'facelift' import started in 96.5 not 97.. and in 97.9 the VVTI engine was introduced, actually the JDM went through quite a few minor changes up to and possibly past 98, but generally they 'facelift is considered to have started in 96.5.

* I've seen a late model JDM SZ-R with traction control.

* The 6 speed / big brakes / wheels was standard fit on the SZ-R in 96.5, not sure when they stopped this wierd version, but it was before 99.

* The JDM SZ-R does not come in aerotop.

* There are 3 types of "JSpec suspension", normal, bilstein and REAS. Off the top of my head REAS was introduced in 98.

* The 'Facelift' imports (SZ, SZ-R, RZ-S) had a new design of cloth seats, not black leather.

* Fold in mirrors were on the 96.5 SZ-Rs, so I would also assume RZ/GZs.

* There is more complexity to the abs systems. But I don't have set dates on when what was introduced.

* Steering wheels. Early model, 3 spoke == no airbag, 4 spoke = airbag. Sometime after 96.5, not exactly sure when: 3 spoke is introduced with bumps above the thumb points and have airbags, RZ models have a carbon fiber finised 3 spoke with airbags. (N.B. The late model steering wheels are alot better).

* There is no JDM VVTI SZ or SZ-R

• 1 month later...
In regard to the JDM:

* The 'facelift' import started in 96.5 not 97.. and in 97.9 the VVTI engine was introduced, actually the JDM went through quite a few minor changes up to and possibly past 98, but generally they 'facelift is considered to have started in 96.5.

* I've seen a late model JDM SZ-R with traction control.

* The 6 speed / big brakes / wheels was standard fit on the SZ-R in 96.5, not sure when they stopped this wierd version, but it was before 99.

* The JDM SZ-R does not come in aerotop.

* There are 3 types of "JSpec suspension", normal, bilstein and REAS. Off the top of my head REAS was introduced in 98.

* The 'Facelift' imports (SZ, SZ-R, RZ-S) had a new design of cloth seats, not black leather.

* Fold in mirrors were on the 96.5 SZ-Rs, so I would also assume RZ/GZs.

* There is more complexity to the abs systems. But I don't have set dates on when what was introduced.

* Steering wheels. Early model, 3 spoke == no airbag, 4 spoke = airbag. Sometime after 96.5, not exactly sure when: 3 spoke is introduced with bumps above the thumb points and have airbags, RZ models have a carbon fiber finised 3 spoke with airbags. (N.B. The late model steering wheels are alot better).

* There is no JDM VVTI SZ or SZ-R

I dont think they stopped the 6 speed SZ-R before 99 as I have one and its a 2000 reg.

Also my SZ-R has the carbon fibre steering wheel and black leather, and the fold in mirrors.

This might not be normal but they were not bought after the car.

Maybe I just got a strange one!! lol