The mkiv Supra Owners Club

torque converters & stall rate

eyefi

Originally posted by eyefi

what r the pros and cons of high stall torque converters? and what r they?

just been reading about them on the supraforums.there is a thread of drag racing and it seems to get your times down well.

http://www.supraforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=56

have a read they seem to get loads better times than we do over here.belive what you want.someone has supposed to have done a 10+ second run on stock twins ?

think we need all the help we can get in the auto

hope it helps.

Sound Performance Torque Converter Level 1

ITEM # SP TC Level 1

The Level 1 if for up to 750hp with a stall of 3200rpm. This is ideal for stock twin turbos & small single turbos. This is a rebuilt & modified stock converter with new bearings, modified impeller, & turbine. This converter is sold with exchange only! When you order we will contact you regarding the exchange process.

Your Price $750.00

Sound Performance Torque Converter Level 2

ITEM # SP TC Level 2

The Level 1 if for HP levels from 750 - 1500 & features a high stall of 4000rpm's. It is recommended for any turbo the same size or bigger than the SP63. This converter features upgraded lock up clutch plates. They are the largest clutch plates available for this size of converter. Level 2 will also offer a CNC machined turbine hub, sealed Torrington bearings, furnace brazed impeller & turbine, anti-ballooning plate, reinforced turbine vanes, & heat treated Precision hubs. All converters are balanced & pressure tested.

Your Price $1,200.00

There are no real drawbacks to a higher stall rate except to say that if you hold it at the higher stall rate then obviously its running like 4000rpm which heats up the fluid much quicker and will kill a gearbox if held like that for too long.

I was told in general day to day driving you wont notice the difference, its only when powerbraking up that it comes in to its own. You can then powerbrake to 4000rpm which is where the turbos are just starting to spool.

JB

Originally posted by eyefi

how do they work tho? whats the mechanics behind it? there must be a downside?

what does stall rate mean?

terminator, its an idle question really. ive tried to understand it for a while but never found the info.

they all seem to go with 3200 stall convertors.there must be somewhere in england that do the work.its just using your stock item with better internals.maybe you should ask the expert cw

mr boost was saying that glen has had an auto to manual conversion on his car.wonder if he bothers reading the boards.

Originally posted by MONKEYmark

.........and it seems to get your times down well.

they r supposed to b able to get 1/4 times down by a second or so.

i would think if theres not a downside to daily driving that they would b an excellent early mod to the drag racing auto's. alot cheaper than the escalating costs of chasing more bhp.

why arnt the stock tc's a higher stall?

Originally posted by terry s

Leon is a Level 10 agent.

whats a level 10 agent???? - sounds cool :)

Guest Terry S

Level 10 is a make of high stall convertors.

The only draw back to them is they can be slightly embarrassing. Go for a 3200 rpm max on a road car.

I thought they were analogous (cool word huh?) to revving up to 3200rpm (or whatever) in a manual at every standing start before engaging the clutch. Hence a bit embarassing cos it sounds like you're at Santa Pod as you're pulling out of your driveway in the morning ...

Might be wrong though.

While we're on the subject, can anyone tell me what a transbrake is, and how it allows you to build boost on the line (it's another thingy you can do to auto cars apparently).

Guest Terry S
Originally posted by Adam Wootten

I thought they were analogous (cool word huh?) to revving up to 3200rpm (or whatever) in a manual at every standing start before engaging the clutch. Hence a bit embarassing cos it sounds like you're at Santa Pod as you're pulling out of your driveway in the morning ...

QUOTE]

Exactly that. 3200 you may be able to live with but 4000rpm... Mind you if you have a flamer kit it may be right up your street:rolleyes:

Guest Terry S
Originally posted by paulrenn

Any reason why the acronym for your club is "MAD", Terry? :D

LOL! It was an old rally club we had when I was a teenager, when no fear really meant just that. All of us had RS2000's, Mexico's, & I even had a Fiat 131 Sport with 174 bhp at one stage. Happy days:)

Guest Terry S

Don't knock the 131 sport. They were quicker out of the box than an RS2000 & had a LSD as standard. Bloody thing went like stink. Changed the head, cams & put some 45's on. I'd still have a proper Abarth rally one now. Love MK2's though, had loads. Last one I sold 3 years ago which was a 200bhp Toyo challenge racer. I used it on the road for a while but it was none too friendly.

Showing our age now Matt!

• 4 weeks later...

Guys

if anyones thinking about fitting a high stall converter and transbrake make sure you fit a temp guage as it will go up so quick it will amaze you resulting in a fryed box , i had a 5000rpm stall speed and transbrake in a 750 bhp zodiac ???? , when you drive round town it will feel like the clutch is slipping in a manual car , but the car will launch very hard off the line , remember there dont seem to be many curves in the states , imo the supra is much more than a straight line missile .

John:stupid: