The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to wire in a standalone ECU (Ecumasters EMU BLACK)

D1andonlyantman

Hi everyone. Earlier this year I started looking into ECUs for my VVTi TT6 as I was going single turbo. It didn't take me long to realise that me being VVTi meant that a nice plug and play setup wasn't really an option as I couldn't find anyone that sells ecus with a pnp adapter for VVTi. Its a 5 plug instead of the non-vvti 3 plug. Then after getting a quote for supply and fitting a Syvecs that was out of my preferred budget (quoted 3K+), I decided to do things the hard way and wire in a Ecumasters EMU BLACK instead. I'd been following this ecu for a while and was impressed at what it offered with such a low price tag, and after speaking to someone who had done this themselves and said it wasn't THAT hard (even if they did have a masters in electrical engineering lol), I pulled the trigger on it. For around a grand I got the ECU, a pre-terminated wiring loom and the stock ecu header connector. The reason I got the stock ecu connector is so that I could basically just make my own pnp adapter that plugs in place of the stock ecu, as I had literally no idea how to go about modifying a stock loom! The most complex electrical thing I'd done before this is wiring in gauges etc!

So anyway, I ordered the stuff and then this turned up. (I also ordered a FPR so ignore that).

In the box there is a nicely laminated card that tells you what each of the ecu pins needs to be connected to. Quite quite few of them are optional (wideband AFR controller, touchscreen displays, optional switches etc), so its not quite as daunting as it looks.image

Luckily there are a couple of stock 'pinout' charts on the internet that are totally free to view. IMO the best is wilbo666 which this would have been impossible without. On there it labels the stock connectors and then explains what each pin is for. Then it was down to me to pair them up with the new ecu pins. Most of them are really obvious, so that part was easy really, just a bit (very) time consuming. Some are a bit more confusing but I got there in the end.

Before I even thought about wiring a single thing anywhere, I made a pinout chart that said which pins needed to be paired up to make wiring as easy as possible. This is actually my latest revision, its all working if anyone wants to use it.

Once I had it all figured out I prepared to start soldering, something I hadn't done since school. call it 20 years lol. Now this is where the pre-terminated wiring starts to pay off. All the different wires are colour coded and labelled with what they are for. All I had to do was find the right wire and then check where it needs to be soldered to. I could plug it all into the ecu connectors later.

In a few sittings I managed to get everything soldered correctly. there were a couple of mistakes as the stock pin numbering is a little confusing, but I managed to get it done, and this was the fruit of my labour.

Then I connected everything to the new ecu plugs and basically had my pnp adapter made.

This ECU has an onboard 4bar MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor which it uses to calculate the fuelling, and it also needs an IAT (intake air temperature) sensor to make adjustments based on air temp, so I had to get a boss and sensor welded on the intercooler pipe before the throttle body for the IAT, and also ran a hose from the intake manifold to the ecu which is in my passenger footwell. (It will be moved behind my glovebox once im happy I don't need to fiddle with it anymore). I ran the wire and hose to the right side of the bay, though into the wheel arch, and then through into the corner of the passenger footwell via a yellow rubber bung down there already. Not hard to do. Then the ecu had everything I needed to run, and after loading a basemap from the Ecumasters site, checking everything was assigned correctly etc etc etc it actually started first time!

The supra comes with narrowband knock sensors as standard and its wise to upgrade those, so being tight as I am I researched which sensors id need, found out the commonly used shielded cable used for wideband knock sensors, and made my own rather than buying the kits. 2 of them cost me about £55 which is not bad going at all compared to buying them pre-made. fitting them wasn't so much fun though, and I had to take off the intake side of the engine right down to the block. Maybe there's an easier way, but I didn't know it. I wont lie, it was a ballache. But now that those are wired in I have decent knock detection. Mine isn't fully calibrated yet and the weather has got in the way, but the sensors are working and can see 'noise'.

I also wanted to use another one of the ecus many features, and bought a clutch switch so I could use 'flatshift'. What this does, or rather what it will do (setup but untested) will make the ecu retard ignition etc when I press the clutch in without letting off the throttle. This means I can keep it pinned, clutch in, the ecu retards ignition etc to hold back the rpm but keep boost built, and then I can let out the clutch and it will carry on, all without letting off the accelerator. That does all sound quite hard on my stock engine though, so I think I'll set it up so I can have some flamey gear changes when I feel like going full chav. The clutch switch in the pic screws right into the stock location.

So that's kind of where I am to date. Running a single turbo just on wastegate spring pressure at the moment, but its not fully mapped, so no full throttle pulls yet, but ive done some 3/4 throttle stuff and she's raring to go! hopefully I can get her mapped up, fit my 3 port *edit* boost controller (walk in the park after all this) and then eventually run 1.6bar on my Borg warner S362SXE, making 650bhp-ish with any luck.

I've not made this to brag about what I've achieved, but rather to point other people in the right direction if they fancied giving it a go. I couldn't find any information on this and basically had to PM and hassle anyone who would listen lol. I didn't do this for fun (good thing too), I done it because paying someone else to do it just wasn't financially viable. But in the end, I am glad that I gave it a go. So far so good. Amazingly it appears to work, even the stock DBW.

I hope this helps someone.

Cheers

Edited by D1andonlyantman (see edit history)

I meant uploading the pics to the site :) in my experience forums generally prefer them to be hosted elsewhere, but I know what you mean about photobucket!

Yep, first time ive attempted any real write-up. I spent a long time searching for any sort of info when I decided to go this route, and there was sod all out there. I genuinely did just have to ask people questions until they got annoyed with me! it wasn't in vain though and I happily share what I've learned.

Good write up, glad to see your efforts are paying off.

Generally running boost control through ECU gives a more consistent result day to day then an external controller which constantly needs attention based on environmental changes. Any reason why you are going to use external controller?

Good write up, glad to see your efforts are paying off.

Generally running boost control through ECU gives a more consistent result day to day then an external controller which constantly needs attention based on environmental changes. Any reason why you are going to use external controller?

I'm not, I've got a mac 3 port that will be ecu controlled :) I prefer to leave it all ECU controlled for the reasons you said, plus the added safety features

I'm not, I've got a mac 3 port that will be ecu controlled :) I prefer to leave it all ECU controlled for the reasons you said, plus the added safety features

Must of misred, had it in my mind you were doing external controller. Cool, well then you are ready to roll. Best of luck on the next steps.

Nice write up and thanks for taking the time.

ECUmaster products seem to be of good quality and offer loads for the price. Used 2 of their DET3 devices now and have been very pleased so far. Good to see someone taking a different path to the norm. Looking forward to updates.

Nice write up and thanks for taking the time.

ECUmaster products seem to be of good quality and offer loads for the price. Used 2 of their DET3 devices now and have been very pleased so far. Good to see someone taking a different path to the norm. Looking forward to updates.

Yeah, I'm happy so far. The software is really easy to follow too. I've changed a lot and the car is running pretty good. I just need to calibrate the knock sensors properly and then can start working on the map. It's really rich at the moment. Rich is safe as I'm sure you know. Just waiting on dry roads now really

Great work on getting it all wired up and running!

If you are using Bosch knock sensors - I think (from memory) the ECUmaster 2JZ base map has these setup correctly. I validated the logged outputs of mine using some knock detecting headphones I made.

Running rich is safer than lean (certainly under load and WOT) but within reason. Running too rich can lead to bore wash (oil is washed from the cylinders - pistons/bores wear quickly) but also your oil may quickly become saturated with fuel reducing its lubricating properties significantly. When I did mine I checked my oil regularly whilst working on the map at the start and even ended up replacing it after only a few 10's of miles and again a few hundred miles later. If you are mapping it yourself and on the road I would recommend keeping an eye on this.

Great work on getting it all wired up and running!

If you are using Bosch knock sensors - I think (from memory) the ECUmaster 2JZ base map has these setup correctly. I validated the logged outputs of mine using some knock detecting headphones I made.

Running rich is safer than lean (certainly under load and WOT) but within reason. Running too rich can lead to bore wash (oil is washed from the cylinders - pistons/bores wear quickly) but also your oil may quickly become saturated with fuel reducing its lubricating properties significantly. When I did mine I checked my oil regularly whilst working on the map at the start and even ended up replacing it after only a few 10's of miles and again a few hundred miles later. If you are mapping it yourself and on the road I would recommend keeping an eye on this.

Heeey, you're one of the people I hassled!! Haha. Cheers for all the help.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try the basemap knock settings then. It will probably be a good starting point if nothing else.

Yeah, I know about borewash etc. The low load cells are ok. Rich for cruise (11-13) but not swimming. Once the boost comes in it quickly shoots to

My mappers both use electronic stethoscopes bolted near the top of the block, inlet side to verify actual det and compare to the graph from the sensor(s). They then map according to the sensors once they know they work and when they work. You need to force it to knock (carefully) to know things are seeing real knock. That needs care and experience. MOTEC have videos of knock sensor usage. Nice work there good luck!

Heeey, you're one of the people I hassled!! Haha. Cheers for all the help.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try the basemap knock settings then. It will probably be a good starting point if nothing else.

Yeah, I know about borewash etc. The low load cells are ok. Rich for cruise (11-13) but not swimming. Once the boost comes in it quickly shoots to

Haha no worries at all! I am glad my advice has been of use.

As Chris stated the stethoscope pickup should be placed somewhere near the top of the block on the inlet side. Yes I would say they are essential (especially at the early stages to confirm the sensors are picking everything up and setup correctly) and to be honest I wouldn't map mine without them even now. Having them means you can monitor more parameters whilst doing pulls - there is just too much information to react to quickly when looking at the logged traces. Also they enable me to map when I am out on my own - I wouldn't advise doing this until you have a good map nor would I make any major changes this way (I normally get my wife to drive).

Yeah that sounds quite rich on cruise - mine sits at about 12.5 at ambient and scales back to 14.7ish at lower pressures. Do you have an EGT sensor installed?

Nice find on the clutch switch. I might pick one up for the pennies it costs as I'm at the same stage as you really...getting the loom made up and wiring everything in.

Did you buy a pigtail plug to connect to the clutch switch as well?

Just thinking about this a little more and not sure it would work to be honest. If I understand things correctly, the switch won't be toggled until the clutch pedal has been fully engaged, by which point the engine will have been bouncing off the limiter for the amount of time it's taken you to send the clutch pedal through it's full travel. Basically the ECU needs to know you're changing gear as soon as you start to press the clutch, not once it bottoms out in the footwell.

Hey, sorry for the delayed replies. No matter what I try I cant stop the notification emails going in my junk folder...

Im not sure what you mean by pigtail on the clutch switch, but all ive done is wire it to one of the ecus switch pins. The switch is at the top of the clutch pedal travel, so theoretically the switch will activate and retard timing etc for a split second while the clutch is still engaged. that is the lesser of 2 evils though I guess otherwise it would just rev its nuts off like you said. TBH im probably only going to use it for chavvy flames when on the move anyway. clutch in, retard timing and add fuel. proper flat foot shifting sounds great, but its also probably quite hard on everything.

yeah, I think i'll find a good spot to attach my 'det-cans'. Especially until my knock sensors are dialled in.

I haven't done any work on the main map areas yet, just idle has been sorted. It all needs to be wound back tbh. its very rich all over. what you say is pretty much how im going to map it. Stoich at cruise going to 12.5ish as the boost starts to come in, ending up at 11.3-11.5 at full boost. I haven't got EGT sensors, no. and im currently running 1bar spring pressure but will fit my 3port at some point and go up to 1.6bar I think.

Hey, sorry for the delayed replies. No matter what I try I cant stop the notification emails going in my junk folder...

Im not sure what you mean by pigtail on the clutch switch, but all ive done is wire it to one of the ecus switch pins. The switch is at the top of the clutch pedal travel, so theoretically the switch will activate and retard timing etc for a split second while the clutch is still engaged. that is the lesser of 2 evils though I guess otherwise it would just rev its nuts off like you said. TBH im probably only going to use it for chavvy flames when on the move anyway. clutch in, retard timing and add fuel. proper flat foot shifting sounds great, but its also probably quite hard on everything.

yeah, I think i'll find a good spot to attach my 'det-cans'. Especially until my knock sensors are dialled in.

I haven't done any work on the main map areas yet, just idle has been sorted. It all needs to be wound back tbh. its very rich all over. what you say is pretty much how im going to map it. Stoich at cruise going to 12.5ish as the boost starts to come in, ending up at 11.3-11.5 at full boost. I haven't got EGT sensors, no. and im currently running 1bar spring pressure but will fit my 3port at some point and go up to 1.6bar I think.

I was thinking that there would be a loom style plug to go into the back of the switch, but it looks to just be a couple of spade terminals for an earth and signal wire to the ECU pin...so that's my bad :D

Good that you've got it mounted at the top of the pedal travel though, was that just a stock location you were able to mount it in? Another step you could take is a strain gauge on the gear stick that gives the ECU another condition to pre-empt a gear change. I'd have thought you'd probably get away with it on just the switch though, but I'm no expert. I guess you could set a few conditions (throttle wide open, above a certain RPM) and as soon as the pedal moves away from the switch, the ECU considers a flat shift and does what it needs to do.

• 4 months later...

Just wondering with regards to the fuel pump relays what you mean by pin 85, pin 86 pin 30 etc...

As far as I can see, pin 85, 86 etc are not pins on the ecu? If so which connector block is it? If not, where do you have your fuel pump relay etc wired up to? image

• 3 years later...

I have a 1jzgte swapped is300 on an EMU Black. 

Which pins did you use to wire your boost controller in with? 

I have it wired to the Innovate gauge but my turner prefers it to be wired to the ECU directly. 

Thanks in advance.