The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MkV launch and updates thread

Branners

The only way I’d get this is if it got me a guaranteed GRMN and the price wasn’t insane. Otherwise what’s the point. May as well get a 2nd hand LC500 or GTR

Exactly that.. im either going to throw money at my mk4 and upgrade it from bpu or just bite the bullet and get an r35 GTR

I think we can all agree this has not worked when the first taughts of buying a car, body kits, remap, lighter wheels are at the forefront

Supra is Toyota's flagship sports car, to conceed their flagship car is equivalent of the mid level BMW, is just disappointing, minimum if partnering, it should get twinned with the M6

They are clearly keeping all the high performance tech within the Lexus brand, to say it was a financial necessity to work with BMW, when they can leverage off Lexus, just a cop out

The Supra should of at least had FT1 proportions and the power plant developed by Toyota Motorsport Germany, TMG 650 or even the new lexus RCF track edition powerplant out in 2020

I don't really care about the name being used as such, but it certainly hasn't made me think about perhaps saving, selling up the Mkiv's to get one (if not now in a few years time). It's kinda sealed the deal that I will try and stick with what I have and know. It's bound to handle better than a 25 year old Mkiv but it won't really be a step up from a bpu'd one in the (rolling) straight line thrill stakes.

It will be interesting to watch over the years how they get on with this re sales, how steep it's depreciation is (GT86 seems to have held up ok?) how the public receive it etc.

Hope it's a great steer for those actually going for one :-)

I don't really care about the name being used as such, but it certainly hasn't made me think about perhaps saving, selling up the Mkiv's to get one (if not now in a few years time). It's kinda sealed the deal that I will try and stick with what I have and know. It's bound to handle better than a 25 year old Mkiv but it won't really be a step up from a bpu'd one in the (rolling) straight line thrill stakes.

It will be interesting to watch over the years how they get on with this re sales, how steep it's depreciation is (GT86 seems to have held up ok?) how the public receive it etc.

Hope it's a great steer for those actually going for one :-)

Not sure what you`re driving but my 26 year old supra with minor suspension upgrades has run rings round alot of "newer" better handling cars .

Not sure what you`re driving but my 26 year old supra with minor suspension upgrades has run rings round alot of "newer" better handling cars .

You should ask to borrow one while at the ring, given the numbwr of views your videos must have amassed I wouldn't be surprised if they went for it.

If the rumours of a twin turbo v8 RC-F are true, that will be the true GTR contender.

I cannot see it , it will kill the one of the key selling points . 50/50 weight distribution

They would of done it on release , GR car will just be a wide arch body kit , Wheels with a ridiculous offset ; they will not even widen the track , re-design the suspension to accommodate

We will just have to come to terms, the new Supra is a re-badged BMW Z4 middle of the road sports compact

If they put a Celica , new GT86 badge on it would it make a difference , nothing distinguishes the car as a Supra , nothing iconic was transfered over ; it is only a Supra because Toyota said it is

De-badge it , I would never label it a Supra , more as a new Celica

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

I cannot see it , it will kill the one of the key selling points . 50/50 weight distribution

They would of done it on release , GR car will just be a wide arch body kit , Wheels with a ridiculous offset ; they will not even widen the track , re-design the suspension to accommodate

We will just have to come to terms, the new Supra is a re-badged BMW Z4 middle of the road sports compact

I think he’s talking about the RC F which has 472bhp and a naturally aspirated V8 this was announced at the same show as the supra.

The LC F is what I want to see

If the rumours of a twin turbo v8 RC-F are true, that will be the true GTR contender.

This is what I dont get about all the moaning about the new Supra not being a big, brash, GT. Toyota (Lexus) already offer you several options, the LC and the RC. Why would they build another halo model which would compete with cars they already produce?

(BTW, the LC is :cool:)

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

This is what I dont get about all the moaning about the new Supra not being a big, brash, GT. Toyota (Lexus) already offer you several options, the LC and the RC. Why would they build another halo model which would compete with cars they already produce?

https://2qibqm39xjt6q46gf1rwo2g1-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/11661635_web1_M-2018_Lexus_LC_500_front-640x427.jpg

I saw the LC on the road during the Summer , stunning car!

Apologies, misunderstood

Must have similar under pinnings of the TMG 650, imagine it in the FT1 concept

The LC F will be the real supra successor. It’s a shame they abused the name and just whacked it on a reskinned Z4 but unfortunately that’s what they’ve done.

The LC F is going to be £100k+ no doubt but I’ll probably look for a used one in the future.

For £55k pro model (as you can’t get the base model yet) should this car not already be up to scratch?

There are very few production cars which can not be improved upon in the sound department with the right exhaust / intake setup :cool: The MKIV Supra sounds pretty gutless as it left the factory.

For £55k pro model (as you can’t get the base model yet) should this car not already be up to scratch?

So why have most of us gone BPU or further on a stock MKIV and changed the wheels?.

I laugh at those that think the Lexus should have been the next Supra as well.

The mkiv was £44k ish in 94 akin to about 80k ish now. So it was an expensive car back then and no way could Toyota compete in that market with any Supra. Let's face it the Lexus people want as the next Supra is over 100k.

I do agree that the collaboration with BMW ( can't stand the marque or the drivers who drive them thinking they own the deeds to the road) is disappointing but Toyota have kicked out the best they can in the market they are aiming at.

Our marque didnt gather credence for a long time. Poor sales in the UK prove that but history made the mkiv what it is today however not many of us have ones that were the same as when they rolled off the forecourt.

I will give the V a chance, I like the curves, the interior is modern if a bit Germanic now the important bit is the driving Reviews.

Will I own one ever? Doubt it. I Never buy new cars (mugs game) nor use PCP (I own all my car's) and by the time the V hits the price I'm willing to pay in 7 to 8 years I will be in my 60s and probably will need a helper to get in and out of the thing.

However it looks good, the market sector it's aimed at is about right so now it's down to the driver reviews.

Give the new kid a chance

Edited by jonc (see edit history)

The mkiv was £44k ish in 94 akin to about 80k ish now. So it was an expensive car back then and no way could Toyota compete in that market with any Supra. Let's face it the Lexus people want as the next Supra is over 100k.

Only one flaw in your statement is that Nissan managed to bring the R35 out at around 70 grand and that is a great car.

If Toyota wanted to they should of used the development from LFA to produce a supra not only that it would of helped them recoup there losses on the development of that car.

But in all reality Toyota have lost there way the range of cars built in the 80,s and 90,s was brilliant look at them now building cars like that damn prius

- - - Updated - - -

Only one flaw in your statement is that Nissan managed to bring the R35 out at around 70 grand and that is a great car.

If Toyota wanted to they should of used the development from LFA to produce a supra not only that it would of helped them recoup there losses on the development of that car.

But in all reality Toyota have lost there way the range of cars built in the 80,s and 90,s was brilliant look at them now building cars like that damn prius