The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VVTI diagnostics

merckx

Most of you will be aware that on the pre vvti cars you can use the paperclip method and short out the E1 and TE1 connections in the diagnostics port which will make the ECU flash the orange check engine light to indicate any stored faults.

But the vvti doesn't have the TE1 connection.

I found this on the New Zealand forum:

You activate the engine check codes by placing a small length of copper wire between TE1 and E1 in the engine diagnostic circuit box. NOTE: ODB2 engines (mid 1996+) use Tc and E1 instead.

The vvti does have the OBD 2 port but it doesn't use an accepted standard protocol so most fault diagnosis machines won't work, but it does have Tc and E1.

Has anyone tried this as I've never been aware of it before today?

Edited by merckx (see edit history)

The 'relatively cheap' Greddy Informeter plugs into the OBD-II port and displays lots of ECU parameters in real-time. It doesn't show fault codes (just a fault count) but there is a newer version out now that may show codes too. The Blitz R-Vit is a very similar piece of kit that DOES show the codes too, I believe.

When I was looking into the compatibility of such devices with the VVTi cars, I discovered that the 'flavour' of OBD-II on our cars is the 'VPW' protocol.

Hope that helps!

Over the last few days and I've been reading up on the Greddy Informeter and the Blitz R-Vit and they've advertised as being able to read the fault codes but I would like to hear from someone that've managed to use it on the supra before I spend any money on one.

I've also been looking for anything I can find on the Supra's OBD-II port, you're supposed to be able to find out which protocol it uses by identifying which pins are populated in the port. They are 4,7,11,13,14 and 16 , but unfortunately they don't match any of the possible protocol's which are used for OBD II.

VPW apparently uses pins 2, 5 and 16 . :(

Edited by merckx (see edit history)

The old Informeter definitely doesn't show fault codes (I know because I've got one fitted) but I'm sure I've seen a post on here somewhere by someone who owns a R-Vit stating that is does show the codes.

I'm trying to find the reference I located before stating that the Supra uses the VPW protocol. This is the best I can find but it also seems to state that, from 1999 onwards, it changed to ISO. :blink:

Found this old thread.

Edited by spartan
Found old thread (see edit history)

This suggests that it will work. :)

It was me asking the question.:D

I'm still not convinced that it will definately work on the Supra as it's not 100% guaranteed to have a standard OBD II port. Like Chris Wilson says, " very few do, and they tend to be the expensive ones".

Funny this thread should be active as today I took arrival of the CAN ODBII U581 from MEMOSCAN.

It supports all 4 known ODBII protocols; I was quite confident it would work, but no, it autoscanned all 4 protocols and each one failed.

As its been mentioned before, its goto be some silly hybrid (CURSE!)

Anyone able to confirm or tried the method stated from the NZ forum? Anyone got a link to the forum with this thread?

Anyone able to confirm or tried the method stated from the NZ forum? Anyone got a link to the forum with this thread?

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/techo.htm#ENGINE_CODES

I tried it yesterday, the engine check light just flashed at a constant frequency which indicates no fault which cannot be right as I'm positive that I've got a fault stored in the ecu.

I spoke to someone on here that uses the RVIT (it might have been foodfreak, but I can't remember), and whoever he was, said it works fine on the VVTI's...

EDIT:Just checked foodfreaks sig and it was him...

Yes, thanks. I can confirm that. :D

This morning I've simulated faults by unplugging sensors one at a time and the fault diagnosis with the flashing orange light on the dash has been spot on.

This should really be added to the fault diagnosis sticky in the technical section as it doesn't cover vvti's. :)