Thread: Will worn droplinks cause this?

Posting is my life! MEMBERSHIP EXPIRED pistonbroke's Avatar
    Feedback
    16 (100%)

Will worn droplinks cause this?

On route into work this morning everything seemed fine, pulled onto the A2 and accelerated up to about 60, during acceleration I got a wobbliing sensation through the steering wheel, then the car seemed to pull to one side all of a sudden, it felt like I had a puncture, or that feeling when the car tramlines on uneven road surfaces, but I've never noticed it doing it before on this stretch of road. so I pulled over and checked the tires. The tires were all fine and could'nt work out what the problem was. So, I continued on my journey, it never did it after that but I managed to replicate the slight steering wheel wobble again a couple of times at higher speeds. When I got into work I had a quick nosey about underneath and the only thing I could find was badly worn front droplinks, the rubber has detereorated terribly on one of them and when I touched it, all this brown rusty gunk that used to be grease fell out, like a little turd .

Once I got the car home this evening I jacked up the front and checked everything I could see, the roll bar bushes seem fine and there is no play in them, the top and bottom ball joints seem fine, the shocks are fine, the only thing I could see was the knackered droplinks. So while I was there, I decided to change the oil and filter, I felt bad for my baby, that I'd let her down in some way, so I made it up to her with some nice new Motul Chrono oil

So my question is this, could worn droplinks cause the symptoms I described earlier, or have I missed something ?

Did somebody say carbon? Club Member Ric's Avatar
    Feedback
    27 (100%)
    if thats the only problem you could see i would say so lol

Feedback
    16 (100%)
    Thing that bothers me though, is that I've had worn drop links before but never experienced these symptoms.

Did somebody say carbon? Club Member Ric's Avatar
    Feedback
    27 (100%)
    sure you didnt drive over a few rocks then a bit of wind?

Supraless!!! Club Member supra_surj's Avatar
    Feedback
    6 (100%)
    Hi Dan did you sort this problem out?

My steering feels like it goes all over the place so gonna get alignment and tracking done again. Everytime i go over a drain or similar the whole car feels like it wobbles. Dont know if this connected.

Surj
    Miss my Supra! One Day..... i'll be back!

Feedback
    16 (100%)
    I changed mine, it helped, but the culprit was tyre pressure differences between either from tyre, make sure your tyre pressures are correct and even.