The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Differences between pre- and post-facelift cars

Sorry, it's me again.

What's the differences between the early and facelifted versions? (on the J-spec this is). I have searched, honestly I have. Really.

All I know is it's something to do with the bumpers and lights and wheels...? I can see the wheel differences but haven't a clue what the other differences are...?

Thanks, you nice peeps.

I've been pondering on this one as well. The major difference that I can identify easily is the placement of the indicators on the side, the facelift models are in front of the wheel arch apposed to the near the wing mirror. Also there are some rear lights on the side on the rear bumper, I thought they were reflectors but they should light up. (Cheers Ash!)

I think and don't quote me that the TTs get UK type brakes, the NAs don't.

On my facelift I have five dials on the dash, Revs, Speedo, temp, battery and fuel.

I'm sure everyone else will come up with some technical stuff but there are the cosmetic differences that I've come across.

mine has small brakes on a 96 facelift supra tt

the slip control button has a snow mode,

aint there 2 airbags or was that on other cars too, some older have a glove box in place of second airbag.

some have 3 spoke steering wheels others have 3 spoke

dont know if they are facelift differnces or not, just some things you see that are different.

like the front and rear lights

my supra is a 96 car but i read that front lights with grey/charcol colour plastic are late 98 spec lights. and chrome ar older spec. rear lights look different on some cars.

pulled off suprastore,com

We have one (1) set of NEW 1998 Supra Headlights with the charcoal inserts. These are the complete headlights with the factory harness and are 100% complete. Don't confuse these lights with those people selling 98 headlights without the wiring harness and plugs for $750. These lights we have sell for over $1100 and we are eating cash on these.

Regular price: $1,100.00Sale price: $890.00

click here to see 98 spec rear lights

Mine's a GZ, ie. top spec' but it's a '93 = 1 AirBag + 2 GloveBoxes !

(and 4-spoke steering wheel - that could be spec' rather than age

though ? ie. maybe RZs etc have the sportier 3-spoke ?)

(oh, and it CAME with the grey16s and small brakes)

Originally posted by Faye

I've been pondering on this one as well. The major difference that I can identify easily is the placement of the indicators on the side, the facelift models are in front of the wheel arch apposed to the near the wing mirror. Also there are some rear lights on the side on the rear bumper, I thought they were reflectors but they should light up. (Cheers Ash!)

I think and don't quote me that the TTs get UK type brakes, the NAs don't.

On my facelift I have five dials on the dash, Revs, Speedo, temp, battery and fuel.

I'm sure everyone else will come up with some technical stuff but there are the cosmetic differences that I've come across.

Check out you the new teacher, never thought I would see the day........:D

Yep as far Im aware face lift have:

Dark surrounds in headlights,

5 dial dash,

Snow option on TC,

New design in stearing wheel,

UK spec brakes, although it appears N/A's dont, or maybe pre 98 face lift models, as some N/A owners with face lift believe they have UK spec.

Rear lights behind wheels,

Dark surround rear lights,

Twin air bags,

All engines I believe should have VVT-i,

Cant think of anymore.......

mines a 96 non vvti rz auto

no big brakes but everything else is there

them rear side lights behind wheels for 1.5 years thought they were reflectors, till i seen a black facelift car with them lit up. so took mine off and there was no bulbs in. bought some and they look smart. love the rear lights with twin brake lights, only downside is no rear fog light.

wonder why they called 98spec lights if they on a 96 car

unless the new vvti came out in 98

they dont have a uk spec facelift.also wonder if there was a uk vvti too

Nope, as far as UK is concerned it stopped production before the J-Spec face lift took place around 96. So you cant get a UK VVT-i. There must be a sort of pre-face lift phase between 96 + 98, where they updated a few bits and then obviously done a lot more in 98.

wonder what other stuff they did. you can see the spark plug cover is different on vvti same as the top radiator hose.

only thing that stands out to me is the lighting system and 5 dial dash, snow option on trac button.

them front face lift lights are dear on suprastore $800+

what you got next on cards for your car.

last day tommorow and i have 14 days off to sort my project magpie out.will be good to go in it again, been off road since september. and it was self inflicted too.

will feel like a new car all over again after driving a 1.4 astra with no power

Originally posted by MONKEYmark

wonder what other stuff they did. you can see the spark plug cover is different on vvti same as the top radiator hose.

only thing that stands out to me is the lighting system and 5 dial dash, snow option on trac button.

them front face lift lights are dear on suprastore $800+

what you got next on cards for your car.

last day tommorow and i have 14 days off to sort my project magpie out.will be good to go in it again, been off road since september. and it was self inflicted too.

will feel like a new car all over again after driving a 1.4 astra with no power

Glass headlights should be arriving in the next week, then just have to wait for pay day at the end of the month, then within the next month I should have my Bommex front bumper and FMIC fitted, although this still seems a life time away. The last 3 months have just seemed so long.:( Then I just to have to get the other stuff fitted I have bought, like Goodridge brake lines, AFC, and RLTC, but am thinking of getting a flamer kit put in to at the same time, ooooohhh, and possible the water injection thing.

But hey ho, one day at a time, I probably end up wishing the months away, for each pay day, soon it'll catch up and I'll be looking back. :D

And what the hell is project magpie, you involved in Iraq or something, (Ducks head, as probably a bad idea to mention that ;) )

EDITED: Dont put text in

/

\

these things, they screw your reply up, cant actually type them can I, hence my version. Greater and less than, that was easier........

The facelift and VVTI are independant things. The facelift came in in 96, the VVTI engine in September 97. Cars in between (like mine) are facelift cars but with the original engine.

I think the 98 thing refers to US market models. Other facelift differences:

Front spoiler and side plastic bits are grey not black.

They changed quite a bit of the wiring so the plugs and wire colours are quite often different when you come to fit things.

RZ models had Recaro seats.

Dash is grey plastic, not black. There was also an optional carbon fibre dash as well I think.

The dials are speed, revs, and small temp, boost and fuel (although the boost gauge is fairly crap).

The odo is in the middle of the speedo and is a manual-style one, not electric (though the workings are the same)

I think the others have been said already (lights, front indicators, TC, new ABS etc).

With the brakes on the facelifts, I think it's the case that the RZ had the large brakes as standard, and the RZ-S had the small ones as standard, but you could have them as an option. Dunno about the GZ. Basically you don't automatically get the large brakes on a facelift.

Originally posted by Doug

I thought they all became RZ-S's when the facelift came in and the buyer just chose the options they wanted?

Nope, there's still an RZ and RZ-S. If you look at the model number on the chassis plate, the second to last letter is:

Q (RZ), S (SZR), V (SZ or RZS), Z (GZ)

Mine's E-JZA80-ALFQZ, so it's a 97 facelift RZ, with Recaros and big brakes.

I found the Japanese 99 brochure on mkiv.com, which clears up some confusion. Looks like the RZ was manual only, the RZ-S was manual or auto, so probably all facelift autos are RZ-Ses. Here are the models:

RZ (TT, big brakes&wheels, Recaros, manual)

RZ-S (TT, small wheels&brakes, non-Recaros, manual or auto)

SZ-R (NA, small wheels&brakes, non-Recaros, manual)

SZ (NA, small wheels&brakes, non-Recaros, manual or auto)

The brochure goes on about REAS as well, but that only came in on later cars. Oh, and I've just thought of another couple of facelift/non-facelift differences. The front bumper had a horizontal splitter, and the facelift came in gunmetal.

Like you say though, I think you could have most of the goodies as options on RZ-Ses anyway. The link to the whole brochure is here. Pretty handy stuff, and some nice pics too :cool:

It's WORSE than that Mr "C" ! !

I copied the pic from someone else ! !

(If it was MY dash, I'd have used a TRUE shot !!:cool: )

BTW, from your pics, the 5-dial has a mechanical odometer ?

I wonder why the retrograde step ? ?:conf:

( the ONLY prob I find with the digital one is losing the 'trip' if you

disconnect the battery ? )

CopyCat-FatS

Originally posted by Ian C

Steve, mate, you could have at least photoshopped the rev counter needle back into the actual centre of the dial, it's too high up :p

Facelift dials:

looks well nice them dials

got mine on order :) with a 10k trd tach to fit

and blue fur dash conversion. think it will look good blue fur and chrome dials

might nick that pic if you dont mind

have fun the rwd way

• 1 year later...
Guest iwantasupra

is another difference analog or digital clock on the dashboard?

Whats the button at the bottom left of the drivers round air vent that is only on some supras? Is it something to do with cruise control?

The reason I'm asking is I'm looking at some supras on a jap site http://www.king-buyer.co.jp and am trying to work out whether they've got cruise control. or is there an easier way of telling?

Originally posted by iwantasupra

is another difference analog or digital clock on the dashboard?

Whats the button at the bottom left of the drivers round air vent that is only on some supras? Is it something to do with cruise control?

The reason I'm asking is I'm looking at some supras on a jap site http://www.king-buyer.co.jp and am trying to work out whether they've got cruise control. or is there an easier way of telling?

Retractable mirror switch, which has always been available.

Regards

Sv