The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Single Turbo Shopping List

Ian C

Any of you guys running singles have an in car fpr gauge or any form of warning/cut related to fuel pressure?

I appreciate that by the time you've actually seen a change or heard a warning beep it could be too late anyway and your sludge like piston remains may be slipping past your turbine wheel but maybe you'd see some giveaways before a catastrophic loss of pressure somewhere?

Any of you guys running singles have an in car fpr gauge or any form of warning/cut related to fuel pressure?

I appreciate that by the time you've actually seen a change or heard a warning beep it could be too late anyway and your sludge like piston remains may be slipping past your turbine wheel but maybe you'd see some giveaways before a catastrophic loss of pressure somewhere?

Nope cause I used just one pump...thus if the pump failed the car shouldn't start/run.

I've got a fuel pressure sensor hooked up to my AEM. If the fuel pressure drops below a certain amount, I'm going to hook it up to light up the engine warning light.

I'd like to increase injector time accordingly to compensate, but I can't remember how to make it work. I'm sure it can be done....

Guest Terry S

Dan I have a FP Gauge with warning light on but you would need to be watching it TBH mate, as the low pressure will be at idle not WOT. To do that it would need to sense TPS and possibly load to be an effective warning system

I've got a fuel pressure gauge as well, and again, if it starts dropping off on boost you probably won't notice. What you WILL notice though is your AFRs going wibbly woo towards lean... Out of all the gauges that's the easiest one to glance at and get an immediate warning that things aren't right.

-Ian

Alex, I wasn't solely referring to a pump failure.

Terry - why would the low pressure be at idle? Surely a problem could occur at any time - idle being the least damaging of course.

I was just considering the possibility of some sort of ignition cut if the differential fuel pressure dropped by a predetermined amount and that got me thinking about who's actually monitoring f.p.

Yeah your right Dan, the problem is setting something up that doesn't detect the drop in line pressure when you come off boost and flash up as a pump failure, when in fact the line pressure is reducing, just because the manifold pressure is reducing too.

Hence you would have to set something up that would warn you when the pressure at idle (when the fuel pressure is at it's lowest) drops below a given pressure. The downside is, as you point out, that you wouldn't notice if the pressure was dropping on boost, other than seeing the AFR's go lean.

Setting up a system that monitored the differential between manifold and fuel pressure is what you need yes, but how you'd set that up I don't know....

I think the defi fuel pressure gauge will display differential if you have a boost gauge too.

Surely something like the AEM must be able to track differential pressure from map and a pressure transducer in the fuel rail somewhere - output this to a warning or ignition cut if it drops below the preset.

Just wanted to say thanks for putting this together guys. It's great for people like myself who are considering going single, as it means not having to search countless threads and peppering tuners and traders with questions. Hopefully this will be added to the faqs section.

• 5 years later...