The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What to check when buying a Supra

mawby

I have converted the original "What to check when buying a Supra" thread into an easy to print PDF file. I have also tried to sort the list of checkpoints into a more logical order.

The club would like to thank those who contributed to the original thread for providing the information required to create this document.

The mkiv Supra Owners Club - What to check when buying a Supra.pdf

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi everyone, here is another handy piece of information to remember when buying a supra.

If you are getting a data check done many companies offer them for around £20-£25. I have found that the RAC will do one for just £5 and the best thing is that it is done through http://www.hpicheck.com which normally costs £19.99 so it saves you a good bit of money

You can get an RAC check done here:

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/vehiclechecks/status_checks/

Hope this is useful

Trev

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very good guide IMO.

Might also mention the addition of 'true twin' on some cars where the turbos have been wired to spool together rather than the traditional first turbo then second?

Shouldn't be confused with BPU and worth checking the switch will restore the car to stock setup when applied.

Also when asking buyer about the servicing and modifications done to the car, make a note of the companies or individuals who have worked on the car and search for posts on here as some have questionable skills and poor workmanship.

A basic check which should also be applied to buying any car is looking at the condition of the steering wheel and gearstick. If the car has been advertised as low mileage, check to see the condition of these much used items matches up and aren't overly worn. I've also found if you examine the foot rest area to the left of the clutch pedal (brake if an auto) this can be a good check as the carpet should not be too worn if the mileage is low. Pedal rubbers, gearknobs and steering wheels can be easily replaced as can window switches.

Also look at the interior plastics as these can tell a lot about how the car has been treated and verify the mileage. Trim with holes isn't a real issue provided you can identify what they were put there for! Beware wires that aren't connected to things as they could be from aftermarket items such as boost controllers or ECU's which if removed without resetting may damage the car.

Last one! (for now!!;)) make sure any Jap import has been setup/remapped to run on UK Super Unleaded which is still a few RON off the stuff they get in Japan. If not, make sure the boost is set low and listen for any sign of detination. If you do buy the car, make sure you get it to a reputable tuner asap to have it mapped/setup for UK.

Hope these help.

Peter :)

• 4 weeks later...

Having recently joined the club i am still trawling around the many passed threads contained with in the site. Your write of your what to look for is a very informative read and a credit to you. This guide would have been a great help when i was looking for my Supra. :respekt::thumbs:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...