The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What to check when buying a Supra

mawby

Guest Spikkels

Very nice guide indeed !! Thanz a million.

Got my Supra in any case and all looks fine !!

Now its off to do the BPU!!

Luckily in Japan most of the stuff is available and at a cheaper price.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey everyone!

I've just registered on the site, actually I haven't even got my baby, I'm just planning to buy one in a the next couple of fee months. I thought it would be very useful if get know some great guys who can maybe give some good tips to make the right choice. Or maybe I will find the perfect one here. If u know someone who wants to sell his/her supra please tell me. Thank you and I hope we will talk soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

if you cannot get a friend to follow behind you. then i would first off when i go to see the car check the dip stick if full then its good, take it for your spin doing all of the stuff that the check list says, then after u drive it shut her off, wait 20 mins, then check the dip stick see if any oil has been burned. If possible, call the owners 4 days prior to seeing the car, and ask him nicely, to not start the car from the moment u put the phone down, till the moment you go to see the car. Some supra's like mine wont show weak valve stem seals unless its been sitting for more than 2 days. After u drive the car, try to drive it kind of hard, but politely, if its got the stock air box take out the stock filter, and look for any oil dripping into the air box. also if the owner agrees, after u have driven the car and boosted the car prettty good ,take of the intercooler pipe which shouldnt take much time to take off and observe for any motor oil in the charge pipes. That will give a good idea of the condtion the turbo seals are. Sorry if some of this has been repeated, but over the time of owning my TT supra, i have discovered all these things that will give away any valve stem seal problems or turbo seal problems, which i will make sure to all check when going to view my next TT supra.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Dear Mawby, many thanks for your guides ~ they're supra useful and I do hope that the car I'm seeing this coming weekend will turn out to be a good'un. Kind regards, Kate

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...