The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sticking Injector - a case study

LeeT

I guess anything from 10v - 14v as most ECUs have a voltage offset table.

hi Wez, when checking the voltage at the injector plug, would the plug need to be connected to the injector? im asking as i only have 0.3volts across the plug pins when disconnected on two of the six plugs ive tried. i havent really had time today to have a good look around. surely if i had this voltage on all 6 injectors the car wouldnt run? im thinking maybe i forgot to reconnect something when i reinstalled the intake manifold?

Should you not be checking resistance? Ohm

possibly but if theres no power there in the 1st place whats the point? i'll be having a good look tomorrow and if need be will remove them and get them sent down to you

lee

You'll need an oscillascope to see the full voltage at the injectors properly, and they'll need to be in circuit (i.e. plugged in).

thanks for that. do you know anything about the injjector ground wire being bolted to the intake manifold? like i said before im going to have a proper look tomorrow but it would be nice to just find that ive forgoten to connect up the injector ground when reinstalling the intake manifold. wishful thinking i know:)

thanks for that. do you know anything about the injjector ground wire being bolted to the intake manifold? like i said before im going to have a proper look tomorrow but it would be nice to just find that ive forgoten to connect up the injector ground when reinstalling the intake manifold. wishful thinking i know:)

The injectors are switched to gound through the ECU so there should be no connection to the engine or chassis. The 12V feed comes from the resistor pack, if you have the low impednace injectors. If not then I guess it comes direct from the battery.

The injectors are switched to gound through the ECU so there should be no connection to the engine or chassis. The 12V feed comes from the resistor pack, if you have the low impednace injectors. If not then I guess it comes direct from the battery.

right, thanks again. yep they are low impedance. just hope i can get to the bottom of my problem in the morning. i just remember reading that there are a couple of grounds bolted up to the intake manifold and if they are not connected will leave the injectors with little power. iirc gregsupra from turbofit had the same or similar problem recently and the problem was one of these grounds

Maybe thet's where the ground ends up after it pops out fo the ECU. Try PMing Ian C. We measured the voltage across his injectors using a scope a year or so back. We used wires attached to pins that you could slide down inside the insulation on the plugs.

Maybe thet's where the ground ends up after it pops out fo the ECU. Try PMing Ian C. We measured the voltage across his injectors using a scope a year or so back. We used wires attached to pins that you could slide down inside the insulation on the plugs.

ive sent him a pm pointing him in this direction. i know im not going to get a true reading with a multimeter but surely i should be seeing something close to battery voltage?

ive sent him a pm pointing him in this direction. i know im not going to get a true reading with a multimeter but surely i should be seeing something close to battery voltage?

Depends on how close to 100% duty cycle you are. If you are at idle then probably not.,

There are two wires to each injector, and one of these will be the same colour on all 6 plugs - that's your +12v feed.

With your ignition on and the car mobilised you should get battery voltage at this wire. You can check with the plug off, put one probe in the +12v pin and the other on the battery negative (*not* the other pin, it's not connected to anything until the ECU grounds it to fire the injector).

The voltage should be the same on all 6, and if you measure resistance between each +12v pin and it's brothers it should be almost zero (ignition off for that one :) ) Again, with the ignition off, check the other pin on each connector against the battery negative - you should have infinite resistance as none of them should be grounded at that point. If one is, it'd be stuck open. Also you could just listen with a long extension bar or something to each injector as the engine idles, they should all sound the same, if one is wildly different then it could be the source of your problem...

The earth you are thinking of is just visible by the dipstick, under the intake runners. If this was missing your car probably wouldn't start and you'd get all sorts of other problems as well, I assure you :)

-Ian

thanks Ian, thats exactly the kind of reply i was after. Thats given me a good place to start in the morning. i'll report back how i get on

Digsy, thanks for your help also. the injectors will be nowhere near 100% duty cycle, they're 850's :D

There are two wires to each injector, and one of these will be the same colour on all 6 plugs - that's your +12v feed.

With your ignition on and the car mobilised you should get battery voltage at this wire. You can check with the plug off, put one probe in the +12v pin and the other on the battery negative (*not* the other pin, it's not connected to anything until the ECU grounds it to fire the injector).

The voltage should be the same on all 6, and if you measure resistance between each +12v pin and it's brothers it should be almost zero (ignition off for that one :) ) Again, with the ignition off, check the other pin on each connector against the battery negative - you should have infinite resistance as none of them should be grounded at that point. If one is, it'd be stuck open. Also you could just listen with a long extension bar or something to each injector as the engine idles, they should all sound the same, if one is wildly different then it could be the source of your problem...

The earth you are thinking of is just visible by the dipstick, under the intake runners. If this was missing your car probably wouldn't start and you'd get all sorts of other problems as well, I assure you :)

-Ian

Great info Ian.

Can a mod add this to the FAQ or make it a sticky :cool:

Guest Usmann A

Hands up, another victim of the "forgot the damn earth straps" saga, a while back.HEHE

Hope you find the cause Lee, sounds like you got some investigating todo, and when it comes to lecy problems, Ians only had a few. ;) :p :D

Time to get out the Mulit and Snap on Power Probe ... that thing is a godsend for wiring numpties.... LOL

Let usk now how you get on.

ps, had my fair share of wiring troubleshooting, but it was mechanical in the end. hahah :search:

I'll see how the thread pans out and bung it in the FAQs when it's done if you like :)

-Ian

my wiring checks out perfectly. ive taken out the suspect injector now to check o rings. is it safe to blow the injector through with an airline? i'll clean up the contacts refit and see how that goes

agreed, should be made a sticky, great info

what injectors are they Lee??

dare i say it? "cough" venoms "cough" 850 side feeds. if they turn out to be the problem i'll just have to replace them but im willing to give them a go first. moneys a bit tight at the moment after the 6spd conversion so if i can get these to run properly, i'll be very happy

I did a search and found your initial problem description. The other plugs would have shown leaness as the narrowband O2 sensor would have been picking up the unburnt fuel from the overfuelling cylinder and causing the ECU to lean the mix off to all the cylinders.

If you know which injector it is from your plug testing, then you have a few tests you can do:

1. Swap the suspect injector with another one and see if the wet plug effect moves with it

2. Unplug the injector and see if the idle cleans up as the closed loop puts fuel back into the remaining cylinders (it'll still be rough of course as one cylinder is missing and it might overfuel to compensate for all the fresh air being pumped through by one cylinder :) )

3. Send the injector off for flow testing and cleaning. A few days downtime and about £15 plus postage.

-Ian

thanks ian, im going to go and unplug the injector now and try it. ive put the car back together at the moment after fiddling about this morning and i must say it does seem to be running a bit better but this could be down to the new plugs ive just put in . its now backfiring badly on decelleration too. back soon

OK, clean that plug up, put them back where you got them from, swap the suspect injector with another one and do the same 4 mile test. Same plug = wiring problem or spark issue, if the problem follows the injector, it's the injector...

-Ian